Finning near the bottom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wish I could find the video (Atomic I think) that showed a split fin diver along the bottom, not making any silt.

Kicking up silt isn't a function of the fin ... it's a function of how the fin is used.

Here's an old video of a friend of mine trying out doubles for the first time. As you can see, she's wearing splits and not kicking up silt ... and this dive site is pretty dang silty.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

off-topic but why does he have a boot on one cylinder and not on the other?

off-topic but why does he have a boot on one cylinder and not on the other?

She decided to keep one boot on to help stand the rig up while getting into it.

Let's not start picking apart her rig ... this was her first doubles attempt, which is why I video'd it. The point of posting it was to show that even someone who doesn't do demo vids for a living can kick in splits without stirring up silt ... even someone who's doing it under less than ideal conditions.

It's not what I would choose to do ... but one shouldn't cling to the myth that splits (or any other fin type) are inherently "silty". It's not the fins that stir up silt, it's the manner in which the fins get used.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Shux.. I can't get the video to play. I'd be really interested in finning techniques for split fins. Anyone have another?

Once Again.. Thanks Bob!
That did work.. it looks pretty much the same as a typical frog kick, right? I'm heading to the pool tonight to practice. Until I got my camera I really never thought of stirring the silt [i was far enough off the bottom to make it minimal] now even minor silt impacts backscatter... my first attempt at this one gave me leg cramps, I presume from using different muscles!

Practice, practice, practice!!!!! :wink:

Good/cheap advertizing and marketing! LOL everyone needs a lil help these days!

Once Again.. Thanks Bob!
That did work.. it looks pretty much the same as a typical frog kick, right? I'm heading to the pool tonight to practice. Until I got my camera I really never thought of stirring the silt [i was far enough off the bottom to make it minimal] now even minor silt impacts backscatter... my first attempt at this one gave me leg cramps, I presume from using different muscles!

Practice, practice, practice!!!!! :wink:

I got cramps too practising out of water!:shocked2:

Back
Top Bottom