fins, fins so many fins.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Split fins "tend to buckle under a heavy load when you are kicking hard" is complete BS. A myth. It is a matter of kick method.
BS to you is my actual experience in the water. You can contradict me all you want, but that's the reason why I don't use splits any more.

Kicking hard and wide may feel real good with a stiff fin, like the exhaust sound in a Harley.
I don't kick wider... just harder. I saw a video of my kick where the split fin actually buckled. This is how it felt to me as well.

The reality is that if a split fin is kicked with a flutter kick in the slipstream of the body it will perform well without fatigue.
I agree with this. The right kick style is important when using splits. In order to go faster, you have to tighten up the kick and actually kick faster. With bladed fins you just kick harder. This is accentuated with a greater load (like pulling another diver).

We actually produce a bio-fin XT model, noticeably stiffer than our original bio-fin pro, so that those who like to feel resistance, and all that can have it. Interestingly enough our military sales are always the original bio-fin pro.
I must admit to not have not tried these new fins. Perhaps one day I will and you'll convert another. I am always open to new technology that works.

The real deal guys don't care about brand names or whatever kick is the kick of the week. They are seeking the best performance with the least resistance.
Sorry to not be the "real deal", but I am still using the same kicks I was using in 1969.

All we know is that DOD continues to purchase and I do not think that they are monitoring SB-they are just taking care of those who take care of us.
Glad to hear you're doing well. Sorry for the inconvenient feedback I have to offer! Every person has a different experience which is why I ended my last post with "The only way to know is to try it out." I stand by that.

While I switched from split to Hollis F1 myself I would say if instructor doesn't like split fins he/she doesn't have to wear them. Nobody is forcing him/her to wear the splits.

"Sorry to not be the "real deal", but I am still using the same kicks I was using in 1969."

Well there you go Doc- that probably sums it up. This is 2011-things have changed a bit in the last 42 years.

No shop or instructor should be down on the gear that you are using, if it fits and you can safely enter, exit and propel yourself in the ocean - then great. they should be happy you want to continue your dive education with a rescue certification. if you want more information on fins, split or not check out the "foot rocket rumble" on Scuba Gear Reports.

Thank you all for your input. I have the Atomics splitfins. They get me where I'm going and back, so I'll keep using them. The instructor is a spear-fisherman and uses those long fins. I guess its what your used to.

Split fins "tend to buckle under a heavy load when you are kicking hard" is complete BS. A myth. It is a matter of kick method. Kicking hard and wide may feel real good with a stiff fin, like the exhaust sound in a Harley. The reality is that if a split fin is kicked with a flutter kick in the slipstream of the body it will perform well without fatigue.

We actually produce a bio-fin XT model, noticeably stiffer than our original bio-fin pro, so that those who like to feel resistance, and all that can have it. Interestingly enough our military sales are always the original bio-fin pro.

The real deal guys don't care about brand names or whatever kick is the kick of the week. They are seeking the best performance with the least resistance.

Of course this fin thread will continue with the usual perps posting.

All we know is that DOD continues to purchase and I do not think that they are monitoring SB-they are just taking care of those who take care of us.

It seems the military users like force fins also...the common thread would seem to be little exertion as well as little propulsion unless kick turnover is extremely high in the flutter kick--high turnover like spinning a very tiny gear on a road bicycle. Problem is, there is an upper limit to how fast you can kick, and the heart rate goes up with high kick turnover.

I would pay a reward to an apoloo bio fin wearing diver if they could juat keep me and my dive buddy in sight on one of our normal cruising pace dives....of course, we both use composite blade freediving fins, which are probably almost 3 times as fast on me as any bip fin wearing diver I have ever seen.
How about finding me someone who would like to prove your position:D

Is it a PADI Rescue? Does the official course discription says no split fins? If not, it is the instructor's preference only, then politely ask the instructor for a reason.

Maybe netdoc just had crappy fins. On the surface, I'm much faster in splits than paddle fins.

If an instructor rags on your splits for a rescue class tell him to pull his fin out of his rear and find someone else to teach you.

I completed my Rescue Diver using Dacor Rocket fins and my Divemaster course using Scubapro split fins with ease and supreme comfort.

As with many things in life you'll find that some have no one answer but all may be right.

If you want to ask any other questions that you'll never get a definitive answer to, try asking any of the following:

-DIN vs Yoke
-Steel vs Aluminum
-NAUI vs PADI
-Jacket vs Wing
-SP vs Atomic
-Wrist vs Console computer
-Blackberry vs iPhone

IMO split v. paddle is like sushi. Everyone likes something slightly different. Just because I like one doesn't mean you'll like it as well and vice versa.

FWIW my instructor dives Atomic splits, has three pairs.

I'd bet your instructor/LDS doesn't carry splits and may be trying to get you to buy from their stock.

PS. Dan, I think I remember seeing a post stating you are a competitive cycler. I don't care what fins you give me I couldn't keep up with you. Besides, if you are cruising along that fast don't you miss all the small things on the reef? Me, I'm content to float along at a leisurely pace. My Atomic splits are just fine for that.

PPs. I like squid and sea urchin sushi. definitely acquired taste, not for everybody.:D

Back
Top Bottom