fins, fins so many fins.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BS to you is my actual experience in the water. You can contradict me all you want, but that's the reason why I don't use splits any more..... "The only way to know is to try it out." I stand by that.

Since you have legs like tree trunks- have you tried free-dive fins? I suppose you must have. I use them often.

Like Danny says...

It seems the military users like force fins also... we both use composite blade freediving fins...
How about finding me someone who would like to prove your position:D

The "military" sometimes specifies Force Fins as any other mission specific device. The greatest attraction for the military is that most any size combat boot will fit into an XXXL Force Fin... that's the main application~ instant on and off.

IMO split v. paddle is like sushi. Everyone likes something slightly different. Just because I like one doesn't mean you'll like it as well and vice versa.

FWIW my instructor dives Atomic splits, has three pairs.

I'd bet your instructor/LDS doesn't carry splits and may be trying to get you to buy from their stock.

PS. Dan, I think I remember seeing a post stating you are a competitive cycler. I don't care what fins you give me I couldn't keep up with you. Besides, if you are cruising along that fast don't you miss all the small things on the reef? Me, I'm content to float along at a leisurely pace. My Atomic splits are just fine for that.

PPs. I like squid and sea urchin sushi. definitely acquired taste, not for everybody.:D
Freewillie,
I like the "ability" to be able to beat a current any time it is desirable to...could be to help a diver in trouble, could be to get a video of a turtle upcurrent, etc., etc....most of the time I go much slower, so that I can run big bottom times. With the composite blade freedive fins, a huge amplitude, very low frequency kick creates almost no increase in heart rate over resting rate, and the propulsion is still enormous compared to splits.
If I do one single frog kick, I can glide for many feet, before another frog kick...if I use flutter or dolphin style, one kick cycle and a big glide, heart rate can stay under 70 beats per minute and I can be moving faster than a typical dive instructor with splits on. doing a cruising pace for the splits.
Give that same instructor a pair of composite splits like the Dive R fins, and suddenly he or she would be doing exactly what I am, at wildly low heart rates for the speed...meaning low sac rate.

It drives me crazy to see an industry so perverting the beliefs of divers, through massively powerful ad campains. Crazy to the point that I will go way out of my way to show any diver the difference, by letting them try some of my fins....I have zero financial stake in this, it is a moral issue ... a Kantian imperative :D

Yup....have splits and conventional .... usually go back to the Mares (Quattro and Superchannel) .... they just feel good and fit my feet. Recently acquired a pair of Aqualung Hotshots ..... Like em' for travel !! BTW, in the original post, I didn't read that the instructor wasn't going to teach the course or that splits were an issue .... only that they weren't a favorite. What a surprise! .... a difference of opinion!

No shop or instructor should be down on the gear that you are using, if it fits and you can safely enter, exit and propel yourself.....

Go to north florida and walk into a shop and say you want to take a cave class and bring a Jacket BC, Yoke regs, and split fins and see how many instructors jump to train you :D

Regarding the instructor, he may be a jerk, but people that are passionate are worth listening to. When someone is too easy, I'm wondering if they will offer honest feedback. Ask around about this guy before judging on one encounter.

I made several trips to Cozumel and was never happy with my Scuba Pro splits while drift diving. I noticed that the experienced people on the boat, including the DMs, were wearing some form of blade fins.So I did some research, mostly on SB, and decided on the Quatros. We are lucky enough to have an LDS with a pool, they set us up with several brands of fins. My wife liked the Quatros, but I didn't like the way they fit my feet. I had some rocket fins when I was a kid, so I tried the Scubapro Jet fin, and they just clicked.On our next trip, we both noticed a big difference in current, and both of us were happy with what we bought. We also got spring straps, which are worth every penny.

Find a way to try fins out in the water , using a variety of kick styles, and take your existing fins with you.You may find something you really like, or for that matter, maybe what you have now is perfect.

I've been diving since 2009 and have been using split fins. Our dive shop closed and we went to another shop for a rescue diver course and the instructor was really down on split fins. Since these are all I know. Are there any suggestions:depressed:

Tell the instructor that you are not paying him or her to teach you about your dive gears.

Go to north florida and walk into a shop and say you want to take a cave class and bring a Jacket BC, Yoke regs, and split fins and see how many instructors jump to train you :D

That would be right if the OP was taking a cave diving class. But assuming the OP is talking about recreational diving on simple leisure dives there is nothing wrong with jacket BC, yoke regs, and split fins. Granted not what we would buy for ourselves, but the original question is what is wrong with splits. IMO there is nothing wrong with splits.

I love skiing as well. I don't ski double rockers because I don't ski deep powder, back country slopes, or do arials on the rails anymore. You get what you for the majority of what you are doing. Since most of us aren't cave diving it doesn't matter if we dive jackets, yokes or splits.

Since you have legs like tree trunks- have you tried free-dive fins? I suppose you must have. I use them often.
I have not. Perhaps I should.

Back
Top Bottom