Fins for Frog Kick

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like most divers, I use to do mainly the standard flutter kick until I saw an instructor who was checking out some of my Master Diver required dives do mostly frog kicks. I asked her why she does mainly frog kicks and she said it is just more relaxing. Since I started doing mostly frog kicks, I noticed there's less fatigue probably because during frog kicks, the bigger quad muscles of the legs are used. So if I'm to continue utilizing mostly frog kicks, I guess the split fins won't be for me.

You can use splits, they just aren't as effective...
I use the SP Jets with spring straps...
Great fins.
K

runamonk:
While I have yet to master the frogkick I can see the need to do so in the future. My wife and I both have standard and split fins.

I've noticed that alot of the divers that really do the frogkick well (eg our Instructor and his Wife) all use Jet style type fins.

The thing that really impresses and pisses me off about our instructor is his control and ability to do a reverse frogkick and back up underwater LOL. Very frustrating to watch them both.

I generally don't have a problem when it comes to frog kicking or helicopter turns but whenever I practice to backward frog, it reminds me of practising manual transmission....I lurch backwards, then stop, then lurch forward on 9 out of 10 attempts. :shakehead

everyonce in a while Success!

Okay, okay... I guess I'll just have to order me up a pair o' Jets. (I'd just hop over to my LDS, but they don't carry ScubaPro, and their fin selection is basically a "How split do you want them?" menu. The other LDS carries SP, but they don't have any Jets and I didn't care for them when I stopped by.)

Incidentally, could the frog kick possibly be less tiring because it's basically the underwater equivalent of the "rest step" in mountain hiking? I must admit, I've rarely had to resort to the rest step (I hike like a well-fueled android), but I love the frog kick.

ClayJar:
Okay, okay... I guess I'll just have to order me up a pair o' Jets. (I'd just hop over to my LDS, but they don't carry ScubaPro, and their fin selection is basically a "How split do you want them?" menu. The other LDS carries SP, but they don't have any Jets and I didn't care for them when I stopped by.)

Incidentally, could the frog kick possibly be less tiring because it's basically the underwater equivalent of the "rest step" in mountain hiking? I must admit, I've rarely had to resort to the rest step (I hike like a well-fueled android), but I love the frog kick.

You should give the Dive Rites a try! I have no problems doing any kind of kick with them and they give a lot more "oomph" in the frog kick than the Jets do, plus they come with spring straps...

That said, I do use Jets when diving "small cave" due to the smaller blade area....go figure :)

Safe diving,

Rich

I use SP Jets with Halcyon spring straps...and I love them.

Some of you mentioned spring straps. What do these do? I heard about the SP Jets. Compared to regular fins like the Cressi ones I still use, what's better about them given that I'm a 75-80% frog kicker?

Scuba Duba Doo:
I generally don't have a problem when it comes to frog kicking or helicopter turns but whenever I practice to backward frog, it reminds me of practising manual transmission....I lurch backwards, then stop, then lurch forward on 9 out of 10 attempts. :shakehead

everyonce in a while Success!

LOL this is exactly what we were talking about while on a boat dive. I just end up giggling at myself or getting pissed hehe.

I have two pairs of the old aqualung blades. They work very well for the frog kick and though not quite as stiff as the jets or rockets they are well suited to back kicks. I omce tried the oceanic v-12 splits for about a month in the pool. Less fatigue and work well with a flutter kick but not nearly as fast or efficient as a paddle fin for other kicks. I also would not trust splits in a current of any real velocity. When I did the spiegel the second day I was glad I had my blades. Current was ripping and even though we stayed sheltered from it most of the time when we didn't the blades came through.
Spring straps are what they are. stainless steel springs that replace your rubber ones. hard to break, less likely to get tangled up(?), and best of all once they are on they fit the same from then on. No pulling of ends, adjusted every time, easier to get on and off. I got mine from World Water sports in key largo on vacation. They are from innovative scuba and have a pad on the strap with a loop that makes them easy to grasp especially with dry gloves. But our own Wayward Son here on the board makes them also custom for your size. I'm about to get a pair of rockets or jets in the not too far future and when I do I'm going to have him make me a set.

ClayJar,

Don't worry bout your lds not having them, ebay is going to be your friend. I got 2 pairs of jet fins online and they were just as good as new and much cheaper than available locally.

Cheers,

SangP

Back
Top Bottom