Fire Coral

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi, Cherry!

The answer to your question is a firm MAYBE! The major constituent of bee sting venom is a protein, and the major constituent of fire coral venon is a protien, as well.

However, these two species deliver a different protein in the "cocktails" that are their respective venoms. And even though they are both invertebrates, they are so far apart on the evolutionary path that any relationship is coincidental. Ceolenterates, which corals are, are very low on the evolutionary "chart" compared to the very complex species that bees are.

It is true though, that in nature many of the toxins that animals deliver are proteins. The reasons are manifold, but one of the most important is that many proteins can act as enzymes, natural catalysts, that do such things a break up molecules in the attacked species. And many of said are vital to certain functions. Amongst the most dangerous venom-proteins are neurotoxins that stop nerves from working, a very bad thing if such nerves are responsible for, say, breathing!

At any rate, it is not clear that alergic reaction to bees means an alergic reaction to fire coral. That said, the reaction to fire coral is bad enough for most people to warrant care. I never dive w/o full body protection--that means gloves and no shorty wetsuits.

Finally, as indicated by Doc Vikingo, the color and form of fire corals are quite varied. In my experiece, I have seen more fire coral that is greyish and almost looks like dead coral than any other color. As to form or shape, since fire coral is a kind of parasite that takes over the surface of a host coral, it comes in all sorts of shapes! The message: "Don't toucha my coral or I stinga you body!" I.e., it is a good idea not to touch anything u/w unless it is for a very good reason!

Scorpionfish--don't touch me either!

...a technique to deal with a sting that keeps on stinging.

A way to remove any tiny stickers (sorry, I've forgotten what they're really called) left in you, you can use some cold wax depilatory. Just smooth some on the affected areas and pull it off according to the directions on the package.....pulls out all the little stickers left around giving you problems.

But I do agree....chances are if you don't touch anything....you won't have the problem to begin with!

Peace,
Cathie

that once you DO have a "hands-on" experience with millepora spp you will never forget it!

Earlier this year I was helping a post-grad Marine Bio student with some permanent tagging on Hardy Reef on the GBR (yes, we had a permit!) and I encountered some branching fire coral. Being from Sydney I had not seen it before and had not been warned about it, so I could not understand what was going on! I thought maybe it was some irukandji (those deadly little jellyfish in the northern tropics off queensland) until my buddy laughed at me and wrote "FIRE CORAL" on her slate, cheekily adding... "Does it burn!?". :fire:

Since that day, whenever I train volunteers in underwater coral monitoring/research, I ensure that I warn about Fire Coral BEFORE they hop off the boat!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom