First BCD - Aqua Lung Dimension i3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey there,

I am buying my first BCD and I don't want to cheap out. Every one has an opinion about whether or not I should be jumping to a back inflate BC this early, but I think I will be annoyed if I spend a bunch of money for a good quality one and am annoyed every dive with the cumbersome nature of the jacket style. I am thinking about buying the Aqua Lung Dimension i3. What are your thoughts on this? I love the i3 technology.

Is this a good idea?
What a better time than now to 'jump" into a back inflate. There's no magical dive number that says "OK back inflate time."
While I have only used the Dimension in the pool I found it pretty comfortable. I liked the i3 but it took a little getting used to, but 30 years of not diving that technology, change comes hard sometimes. All the divers I know that use the "lever" technology love it.

Two questions (1) I have heard that the i3 part does not dry easily/cant realy be cleaned, and therfore it is more susceptiable to rust. Is this true? (2) Is it ok that I am a beginner and I am going to start out with a back-inflate and an i3? I really don't want to buy a different one (jacket/non-i3) and end up getting the dimension i3 in a few months anyhow.
(1) I have heard no reports of rust issues with the i3 or any lever technology for that matter. If water can get is so can air. Use an air nozzle connected to your LPI hose and blow it out.
(2) No better time than now if you're sure that is the 'style' you want to dive.

What a better time than now to 'jump" into a back inflate. There's no magical dive number that says "OK back inflate time."
While I have only used the Dimension in the pool I found it pretty comfortable. I liked the i3 but it took a little getting used to, but 30 years of not diving that technology, change comes hard sometimes. All the divers I know that use the "lever" technology love it.

(1) I have heard no reports of rust issues with the i3 or any lever technology for that matter. If water can get is so can air. Use an air nozzle connected to your LPI hose and blow it out.
(2) No better time than now if you're sure that is the 'style' you want to dive.

Ok, so the plot thickens. I went to to three local dive shops. They ALL tried to talk me out of buying any of the Aqua Lung's with the I3 technology. They were all worried about the technology being fairly new, potentially too complicated/over-engineered if something fails. Also they were all complaining about people bringing in their BC's with i3 for service alot with various issues. This really has me confused, because I am a new diver and I want the simplest BC that is least likely to fail or require service.

I then tried on the Axiom (not the i3 version) which was, although it is a jacket (hybrid), very comfortable. I thought I wanted a back-inflate but the Axiom felt very nice and fit right (as did the Dimension). Apparently the Axiom is new and has all the bells and whistles. The "Balance" felt very uncomfortable on my back.

So now I am debating between the Axiom and the Dimension. And I am still debating between the i3 and the non-i3 versions of these two BCs.
Help!

I think I am going to go with this setup:Aqua Lung Dimension i3 BCD (dive shop sells for $595), an Aqua Lung Legend LX regulator (dive shop sells for $680), a Legend Octo (dive shop sells for $220), and a Suunto Zoop console (dive shop sells for $425). All together, I am getting everyting for $1,786 (which is a 10% discount from the usual price for this setup). What are your thoughts? Ok deal and equipment?

If you are going with an all AL setup, check the AL site, they were giving the air 3 free with BC, reg and computer purchase. Would save you the cost of the octo.

---------- Post Merged at 03:29 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:26 PM ----------

I have a lot of friends that dive the i3 inflator, with no known issues. Are these shops just trying to steer you to a different product, are they scared of new technology, or are these real issues. Keep in mind, many or the sales people at these shops might be divers, but they are not the ones doing repairs and are not often even fully knowledgeable about what they sell. Do your own research away from the sales pitch.

This really has me confused, because I am a new diver and I want the simplest BC that is least likely to fail or require service.

If those are your main concerns this or something similar is the thing for you.
HOG Gear Singles Package - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

From the Aqua Lung site describing the i3 inflator.

The i3 uses fewer parts and is easier to service compared to standard inflators

Have they even seen a standard inflator? I know mine has no rods in it.

If you truely want simple, look at a bare bones BP/W setup. DRIS has one in a package at half the price of the BCs you're looking at. There's something to be said for simple, hassle free setups. Then again, theres nothing wrong with progress and technology either.

+1 for DRIS. Give them a call. Mike won't steer you wrong. You could also contact Jim Lapenta on this board. Jim seems to give very good advice without a sales pitch.

I appreciate your input, but I very much want to buy only Aqua Lung. I really am debating between the Axiom without the I3 technology and the Dimension I3, anyone else have input on these two BCs?

I appreciate your input, but I very much want to buy only Aqua Lung. I really am debating between the Axiom without the I3 technology and the Dimension I3, anyone else have input on these two BCs?

If it was between the two I would pick the one with out the i3. The owner of my LDS dives a Dimension i3 and really likes it, he did not see the love until he tried one. Me I just see more moving parts and things to go wrong. just my $.02

Great!

Keep the opinions coming.

The Axiom which is a hybrid comes without an i3.

For the record, I dive a Dimension i3, a Legend LX and a Suunto D6i. I chose the dimension of the Scuba Pro Knight hawk specifically for the i3, but the SP was every bit as good. I also chose the legend over the SP MK17/A700. Both are balanced diaphragm first stage, both are great second stages. I opted for the air source 3 inflator as an addition to my I3, so given it was an even match for the regs, picked the AL. I also wanted an air integrated watch style computer. Suunto was a proven brand and seemed far better than the other options. I have not been disappointed, at all. If I had it to do all over again, I'd probably go the BP/W route as that's where the things I want to do in the future are going to take me anyway. (the SP Knighthawk claims it can handle doubles, but I'm not sure I'd want to try) also, given what I know now, I'd opt for HOG regs with a yoke converter. I may or may not have stayed with the D6, it's a great recreational computer, but I may have gone straight for a shearwater or liquivision product as these are also better for the tec diving I want to learn. The D6 is still useful as a backup depth guage and bottom timer are necessary in tec, and I can still use it for rec.

So now you know why I bought almost the same set up you were considering, and what I would do if I had known then what I know now. I own AL products, and know why I chose each piece. Can I ask why you have settled on a specific brand rather than looking at individual pieces? What is it about AL that is limiting your choices to just this brand?

I like AL products. I have always been happy with their quality.

You are not worried about your i3 getting hit by a tank and breaking off, or the over-engineering of the i3 system failing?

Actually, you raise an interesting point. If I am going on a deep or difficult dive, can I attach an inflator (or even an air source inflator in lieu of an octopus) to my Dimension and completely circumvent the "over engineering" of the i3 system (even if it gets hit by a tank) and it would be as if it where a regular bc?

Back
Top Bottom