First BCD - Aqua Lung Dimension i3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To answer your other question; Yes you can remove the manual inflation hose and replace it with a traditional power inflator, thus bypassing the entire i3 system altogether. I do this when I'm teaching and it is as simple as unscrewing one and screwing the other on.

Used i3 for over 100 dives now, no problems, works brilliantly. Far happier using that than a regular inflator, because that is what I am used to. What you buy will be what you get used to. Given that you are not certified yet I would hold off buying everything at once perhaps and try out different brands and styles. Personally I love AL but it's not the only brand and how much experience do you have with AL if you are not certified?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are a couple of excellent points in the last two posts. You can easily replace the manual inflation hose and add a power inflator. In fact, you can have both connected for as long as like so you can see which you like best. Second, as a new diver, you'll get to try many brands and styles. Why not hold off a bit until you dive with something you really like?

I, too, have about 50-60 dives on my new Axiom i3, all of them in Bonaire, and I just love the darned thing. The snap-on tank band, the Wrapture strap that keeps the tank attached at the top, so many things I like in addition to the i3 system.

One more thing. My prior BCD was a US Divers (Aqualung) Cousteau I bought new in 1991. It served me for many hundreds of dives and I took very good care of it. BUT guess what broke twice over the years...the power inflator. It wouldn't dump air when it was pulled up. Anecdotal? Sure...and I wouldn't post that power inflators are unreliable but mine weren't. Both my Cousteau and my Axiom have an alternative dump and both can be manually inflated. In fact, I dove almost 100 dives with the broken power inflator dump on the Cousteau before springing for the Axiom.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom