First BCD - Aqua Lung Dimension i3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like AL products. I have always been happy with their quality.

You are not worried about your i3 getting hit by a tank and breaking off, or the over-engineering of the i3 system failing?

Actually, you raise an interesting point. If I am going on a deep or difficult dive, can I attach an inflator (or even an air source inflator in lieu of an octopus) to my Dimension and completely circumvent the "over engineering" of the i3 system (even if it gets hit by a tank) and it would be as if it where a regular bc?
I have been diving my i3 for over 50 dives and really like it with absolutely no issues , diver friends of mine have recently bought the i3 and they like it also. Buy the i3 you will enjoy it for a longtime , just like most equipment if you take care of it and have it serviced it will last.

If you don't get the i3, which I think you should, I would save a lot of money and get another brand. However, the i3 had not had any problems. The consensus from owners is overwhelmingly positive. Once you use it you will hate to go back.

Ok, so the plot thickens. I went to to three local dive shops. They ALL tried to talk me out of buying any of the Aqua Lung's with the I3 technology.........

So now I am debating between the Axiom and the Dimension. And I am still debating between the i3 and the non-i3 versions of these two BCs.
Help!

Did these stores stock the i3, because they likely just wanted to talk you into what they are selling. I have never liked jacket style BC's. It's not about comfort in the Diveshop. Have you been diving with there BC's?

Most of these dive shops carry all of the AL brands, including those with I3 and those without it. I was dead-set on getting an I3 style bc until I kept, repetitively, hearing all of these alleged negatives about the lever cracking or the over-engineering (or the i3 getting hit by a tank) or the parts breaking down.

Of course, now my wife is getting nervous based on what she was hearing today.

My question is this (in dealing with the nervous nelly's), can I, If I am going on a deep or difficult dive, simply attach an inflator or an air source inflator (if I am not using an octopus) to my Dimension I3 and completely circumvent the "over engineering/potential breakage" issue of the i3 system (even if the lever gets hit by a tank). At that point would it act as if it where a regular bc and my inflator (or air source) would circumvent the I3 system in case (for example, one of the rods/cables used in the I3 system is not working) and I needed to do a quick ascent? Hmmm...

I like AL products. I have always been happy with their quality.

With only 6 months diving under my belt, similar to your experience, I can say that I don't have enough experience to rate one brand over another other than what I have used and what I have read. There are a lot of great products out there, AL among them. I'm not trying to talk you out of AL, I don't think you are making a bad brand choice, I just think your brand loyalty is a little misplaced.

You are not worried about your i3 getting hit by a tank and breaking off, or the over-engineering of the i3 system failing?

No more than I am my reg, my computer, compass, etc. Mine has been banged around a bit, it's not delicate, but I do take care to protect it like I do all of my other expensive gear. 'over engineered' is something you've picked up from those who don't like the device yet have not tried it. I'd use the term 'well engineered'. It's not your standard inflator. You'll quickly come to realize that there are some folks on this board that will claim a book of matches is 'over engineered' and you should just carry flint and steel because they are better and will work even when wet. The standard inflator valve is a very simple piece of kit. Compared to a standard inflator, just about every other piece of equipment you will use is more complex.

Actually, you raise an interesting point. If I am going on a deep or difficult dive, can I attach an inflator (or even an air source inflator in lieu of an octopus) to my Dimension and completely circumvent the "over engineering" of the i3 system (even if it gets hit by a tank) and it would be as if it where a regular bc?

Bingo! I love my i3, but the air source 3 gives me both options. If I ever have an issue and a buddy needs to adjust my buoyancy, I have a set up that is similar to everyone else's that muscle memory should lead them where they need to go. (and before anyone else jumps in, your buddy should be FULLY briefed on your gear, standard and non standard parts alike). Next, theres the argument over the non standard octo, especially the argument about which reg to donate in an OOA situation. Most training now says you donate the one you are breathing (you know it works) and go to your backup.

If you want simplicity, save yourself the cash, call Mike at Dive Right In Scuba or Jim Lapenta and get a good but simple BP/W and HOG or Edge regs. They are going to sell you top quality stuff no matter what. If you still want the AL setup, get it. You wont be disappointed whether you chose the i3 or not. But have real reasons for what you do, not just the crap that those of us on an intent chat room will spout.

---------- Post Merged at 12:18 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:09 AM ----------

Here is the free airsource offer. You'd hav eto make sure your LDS participates.

http://www.seaventures.com/files/12_Airsource_coupon_PADI.pdf

Last edited:
But, to be clear, if I buy the Dimension I3, and hook-up an inflator to it, am I completely circumveting the (wife's) over-engineering issues/potential problem if the lever breaks?

Also, even if I do not buy an inflator, doesn't the oral inflator hose circumvent the engineering inside the bc?

Last edited:
You need to think about worst case scenario and what simplicity offers over fancy gimmicks. I would hope that the oral inflation overrides the other parts. On a standard inflator it does. Of course all it has to override is a LP hose that is not deliviering air for some reason. I posted these guidelines in another thread that I use and that I teach my students to use. And in fact in training they are required to use them.

1. Safe and Reliable
  2. Comfortable and Well Fitting
  3. Provide for adequate redundancy without being excessive.
  4. Configured for self sufficiency and self rescue
  5. Simple and Streamlined
  6. All accessories and valves easily reachable
  7. Allows for Buddy Assist and Rescue
  8. Has a Low Drag Profile- Streamlined
  9. Adaptable to the Divers Needs
  10. Adaptable to the Diver’s Objective
  11. All Equipment Identifiable by Touch and Location
  12. Standardized with Fellow Divers Yet Versatile to Meet the Needs of the User
  13. Equipment Placement is balanced and Instinctive
  14. Any Changes have been made Gradually and with Careful Thought
  15. Diver is open to Improvement to his/her Setup
  16. All Cylinders are Properly Labeled with the Gas Mixture, MOD, and the Diver’s Name

Pay attention to #'s 1,3,4,5,7,9,12, and 13.

#1. Safe and Reliable is pretty much any piece of new gear today. But those are relative terms. Safe is not just how rugged or well constructed the gear is. Safety encompasses much more. While it is true that your buddy should be aware of your gear and familiar with it's releases, valves, etc., you need to consider that your buddy may not be in position to help you for whatever reason. In that case will the person who does come to help you know what to do? What if they have never seen the type of BC you are using. They have to take precious seconds to try and figure out how to put air in your BC. Precious seconds where you could lose consciousness and slip out of their grip. And given that there are reports of the lever being hit and activated accidentally, damaged, or otherwise compromised is it worth the risk?

#3. Provide for adequate redundancy without being excessive. Ok you have an oral inflation tube in addition to the lever mechanism. Will a resuer know to look for? Is it enough redundancy? Is the system of levers, rods, and tubes good redundancy for the oral inflation in no one knows how to use it. Will you be calm enough to use the oral tube when your lever system fails and you also have to try to work it with gloves on.

#4. Do you plan on practicing with the system to the point where you will instinctively know how to respoind to an emergency? Can you unhook the LP hose without looking in bad vis when you are stressed and at the same time see what you are doing? And don't forget that you may need to make a repair on the system to keep diving. A std inflator can be taken apart and serviced in the field with just a couple simple tools and new orings.

#5 While it may be stream lined, so is a std inflator that is not overly long and properly secured. However it (the I3) is not by any means simple. If you cannot access every part of the mechanism it is too complicated with too many failure points for my tastes. Each rod, lever, tube, connection is a potential failure point and therefore not acceptable to me.

#7 This means your buddy and potential buddies has to be intimately familiar with the use of the mechanism and not get confused or flustered should they need to help you. If they have to ask themselves do I push down or pull up it is too much. Can you guarantee that you will fully educate every person you will dive with how this thing works. A std inflator is pretty much universal and what most people have been trained on.

#9 If you want to change your gear it should be easy and quick with no worries about how the other items will be affected. Replacing a std inflator hose with a longer or shorter one is easy. If you want to do deep dives at some point you should also be seriously thinking about how you will carry a redundant air supply. You sure can't use doubles with this and if you sling a stage as is often done you'll cover up the mechanism. And will you remember to use it or not use if you put a std inflator on?

#12 Are your dive buddies going to be using a similar set up so that they don't need to think about how to respond and will you find yourself looking for their lever in an emergency when they don't have one?

#13 Critical point, Balanced does not just mean weight wise. are the items you will need going to be able to be carried or stowed so that you are not over loading one side of the body task wise? And will you be able to instinctively reach and get an item or stow it?

Things to think about.

Last edited:
You need to think about worst case scenario and what simplicity offers over fancy gimmicks. I would hope that the oral inflation overrides the other parts. On a standard inflator it does. Of course all it has to override is a LP hose that is not deliviering air for some reason. I posted these guidelines in another thread that I use and that I teach my students to use. And in fact in training they are required to use them.

1. Safe and Reliable
  2. Comfortable and Well Fitting
  3. Provide for adequate redundancy without being excessive.
  4. Configured for self sufficiency and self rescue
  5. Simple and Streamlined
  6. All accessories and valves easily reachable
  7. Allows for Buddy Assist and Rescue
  8. Has a Low Drag Profile- Streamlined
  9. Adaptable to the Divers Needs
  10. Adaptable to the Diver’s Objective
  11. All Equipment Identifiable by Touch and Location
  12. Standardized with Fellow Divers Yet Versatile to Meet the Needs of the User
  13. Equipment Placement is balanced and Instinctive
  14. Any Changes have been made Gradually and with Careful Thought
  15. Diver is open to Improvement to his/her Setup
  16. All Cylinders are Properly Labeled with the Gas Mixture, MOD, and the Diver’s Name

Pay attention to #'s 1,3,4,5,7,9,12, and 13.

#1. Safe and Reliable is pretty much any piece of new gear today. But those are relative terms. Safe is not just how rugged or well constructed the gear is. Safety encompasses much more. While it is true that your buddy should be aware of your gear and familiar with it's releases, valves, etc., you need to consider that your buddy may not be in position to help you for whatever reason. In that case will the person who does come to help you know what to do? What if they have never seen the type of BC you are using. They have to take precious seconds to try and figure out how to put air in your BC. Precious seconds where you could lose consciousness and slip out of their grip. And given that there are reports of the lever being hit and activated accidentally, damaged, or otherwise compromised is it worth the risk?

#3. Provide for adequate redundancy without being excessive. Ok you have an oral inflation tube in addition to the lever mechanism. Will a resuer know to look for? Is it enough redundancy? Is the system of levers, rods, and tubes good redundancy for the oral inflation in no one knows how to use it. Will you be calm enough to use the oral tube when your lever system fails and you also have to try to work it with gloves on.

#4. Do you plan on practicing with the system to the point where you will instinctively know how to respoind to an emergency? Can you unhook the LP hose without looking in bad vis when you are stressed and at the same time see what you are doing? And don't forget that you may need to make a repair on the system to keep diving. A std inflator can be taken apart and serviced in the field with just a couple simple tools and new orings.

#5 While it may be stream lined, so is a std inflator that is not overly long and properly secured. However it (the I3) is not by any means simple. If you cannot access every part of the mechanism it is too complicated with too many failure points for my tastes. Each rod, lever, tube, connection is a potential failure point and therefore not acceptable to me.

#7 This means your buddy and potential buddies has to be intimately familiar with the use of the mechanism and not get confused or flustered should they need to help you. If they have to ask themselves do I push down or pull up it is too much. Can you guarantee that you will fully educate every person you will dive with how this thing works. A std inflator is pretty much universal and what most people have been trained on.

#9 If you want to change your gear it should be easy and quick with no worries about how the other items will be affected. Replacing a std inflator hose with a longer or shorter one is easy. If you want to do deep dives at some point you should also be seriously thinking about how you will carry a redundant air supply. You sure can't use doubles with this and if you sling a stage as is often done you'll cover up the mechanism. And will you remember to use it or not use if you put a std inflator on?

#12 Are your dive buddies going to be using a similar set up so that they don't need to think about how to respond and will you find yourself looking for their lever in an emergency when they don't have one?

#13 Critical point, Balanced does not just mean weight wise. are the items you will need going to be able to be carried or stowed so that you are not over loading one side of the body task wise? And will you be able to instinctively reach and get an item or stow it?

Things to think about.

WOW, these are great points. Based on this post I think I am going to go with the Axiom without the I3. I am a new diver, and the last thing I want to deal with is being in an emergency situation with a buddy diver who won't know how to deal with the I3 system, or being on a chartered dive somewhere with an I3 system that is unable to be repaired. There are clearly benefits to the I3 system, but I do not think (based on above) that they outweigh the risks for the system, for a new diver.

---------- Post Merged at 10:40 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:11 AM ----------

Do you guys consider the Axiom to be a hybrid?

Buy what you are comfortable with but I found it interesteing that as I originally read the 'list', at each point I was thinking check..yes my i3 meets that criteria.

Then I read the itemized list and in fact disagreed with much although not all of the disection. I am an engineer and dive newb and would not contradict those with much more experience, but I do have experience diving with the Dimension. Questioning how you would react in an emergency and suggesting that one set of muscle movements was safer than another seems to be a logical reach. Finding the i3 lever is much easier than looking for the hose in my opinion with regard to self rescue. True in a unconsious scenario and a tow, the lever may be harder to reach but neither method of power inflator is rocket science and oral inflation is the backup for both.

As to mechanical failure...saw a diver do a forward leaning giant stride...his mask broke on impact...no moving parts but anything can fail.

Predive checks include informing others that you use an i3 and saying 'up is inflate, down is deflate, oral is on the shoulder' I would not dive with anyone who was confused by that. I am not up for the big ongoing debate, I am merely suggesting you talk to your local divers/instructors and get what you think you will be happy with. I love mine and on a recent group outing I was paired with some other divers (just randomly)..during pre-dive checks...turns out we all had i3s of one model or another..

Get what works for you.

I'm open minded and would love to eliminate another dangly in the form of the lap inflator hose.

I'm just not convinced that the better mousetrap has been invented yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom