First Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting thought; what's the likely duration of ownership before upgrade of a dive computer purchased today? Some people use them a very long time. But I was under the impression that the Shearwater line, Predator to Petrel to Petrel 2 to Perdix was such that people didn't tend to automatically upgrade to the latest and greatest, because what they had was quite capable and the user-changeable battery situation with common batteries and lasted quite awhile was satisfactory.

I don't own a Shearwater or any tec. computer; the above was the impression I gleaned from reading posts by some who do.

I think some alway will want to have the newest stuff with all the bells and wistles. Like the new I3X, I'm sure it's a great computer, but there are so many functions. Do you need it all? Sure, that's a personal preferance( people are free to do whatever:) ). To me the most important features are right size display, easy to read screen, easy to operate interface and thrustworthy. I have a Xdeep eanx, which don't trust to use as anything else than a bacpup BT cause of it's many errors.

Anyway, whatever I would definetly look on the second hand marked if I was buying a new computer. There are so many good items, whatever brand, out there, so it's a good chance to save some bucks.

You are very thrilled now about all the possibilities that scuba offers, but you may as well change your mind in the future, decide you will after all not do cave, but consider freediving, and for that, any DC or bottom timer is good enough. I recommend you keep your options open, and build up your gear one step at a time. Did you already look at the price for a drysuit with a set of undergarments ? A 30 liter wing ? Don t let the DC eat at your budgets for no reason.

Get a used Aeris A100, or any Puck type DC with about 50 dives on it, and then wait until some buddy diver or instructor makes you a nice offer for a Uwatec or Liquivision, Xdeep, Shearwater, Seabear, any such more advanced DC. Don't waste you money on a brand new D6i, it will be better spent on courses and travels. Just try to get the upgrade when you go for your advanced nitrox course. A puck-like DC as backup in the BCD pocket is a good thing anyhow.

So which recreational computer would you recommend?

What's available in your area?

If you aim for tech diving and have the money now, I'd consider buying an OSTC right away, or waiting for Ratio to come up with AI.

Personally, I would hold off on buying a technical computer, I believe there will be considerable new offerings in a couple of years. Consider an Oceanic computer, choice of 2 decompression algorithms, DSAT (liberal) and PZ+ (middle of the road). If you need 1 gas, consider the Veo2, if you really need 2 gases, the Veo3, if you'd prefer watch style, the Geo2

I think it's highly unlikely that in the next couple of years there will be revolutionary new devices letting you stay down longer warmer while also getting you not bent better. I think it possible one might get broke, married with children, dead and/or any number of other things that would make buying a tech computer difficult in a couple of years.

I think it's highly unlikely that in the next couple of years there will be revolutionary new devices letting you stay down longer warmer while also getting you not bent better. I think it possible one might get broke, married with children, dead and/or any number of other things that would make buying a tech computer difficult in a couple of years.

You sure are a pessimistic SOB. There will be tech computers with AI , perhaps other features one might want. Of course you won't be able to safely stay down longer, your warmth is your own doing. I wouldn't spend the money for a tech computer now, if I didn't need it. To each their own

And...with your Cressi computer, you are obviously not concerned with bottom time, probably the most conservative computer out there

Last edited:
I recommend against the Suunto. I have the Zoop, and am looking to upgrade. As I have been able to control my air consumption, I have gotten into deco by the algorithms set in the Zoop. Other divers had dove the same depths for longer than me, and weren't in deco with their computers. Before my last dive in T&C, the dive master told me the Suuntos were notoriously conservative. Research what models the different computers use for algorithms and which ones are air integrated.

On a separate note, I find it curious that folks here are asking if you're going to get into technical diving. In another post, I asked about the Hollis TX1 to grow with my experience level. Everyone on that post shunned it as being too much computer (with a lot of technical abilities) without asking me if I was going to get into deep dives.

I recommend against the Suunto. I have the Zoop, and am looking to upgrade. As I have been able to control my air consumption, I have gotten into deco by the algorithms set in the Zoop. Other divers had dove the same depths for longer than me, and weren't in deco with their computers. Before my last dive in T&C, the dive master told me the Suuntos were notoriously conservative. Research what models the different computers use for algorithms and which ones are air integrated.

On a separate note, I find it curious that folks here are asking if you're going to get into technical diving. In another post, I asked about the Hollis TX1 to grow with my experience level. Everyone on that post shunned it as being too much computer (with a lot of technical abilities) without asking me if I was going to get into deep dives.

The TX1 has it's own problems, GF max of 90, to name one.

You sure are a pessimistic SOB.

Back in the USSR we had this joke about optimists, pessimists, and realists: those who learn English, Hebrew, and operation & use of the AK-47.

ScubaBoard tells me Shearwater is all the tech computer I'll ever need. Looking at their offerings, the 2012 (?) Petrel was "Predator with improvements", Predator being the "so last decade" 2009 technology. Petrel 2 -- 2014 -- added a digital compass and the 2016 Perdix adds slimmer and sexier body. I fail to see a revolutionary disruptive innovation breakthrough in the 4 years of just the Peterl/Perdix line, so I don't expect such breakthroughs in the next 2 years either. I like to think that makes me a realist.

(And I did mention waiting for Ratio's AI.)

And...with your Cressi computer, you are obviously not concerned with bottom time, probably the most conservative computer out there

Unlike OP I'm not aiming for deep tech with all the associated courses that need to be budgeted for and will probably strongly recommend bringing your own tech computer to the dives. I just spend a week in the sun splashing around colourful reefs every once in a while, and when NDLs become my primary problem down there I'll think about upgrading my computer. Unlike OP, again, I do not expect to need that upgrade in the next couple of years.

Thanks for all the info and advices guys. I decided to go with Mares Smart for next 2 years. When I get to technical diving I will get Shaerwater Perdix and give Mares to my wife who is also diving.

Back
Top Bottom