First Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was in the same situation and finally decided to surrender and look at models my instructor recommends. The reason is that most of my diving has been with him since he does trips and serves as DM. If I get what he recommends I have him for on site help and I will get guidance on use.

I had to convince myself that buying a computer is not a marriage. I'll take his advice and have some real knowledge after a year or two to know enough to shop intelligently. He showed me a couple but I thought that they were a little too demanding on my old eyes so I am guiding him a bit on usability.

May be for the recreational period you can buy a cheaper computer, which is still nitrox and trimix capable, even if you won't use these features. When you move on to tech / cave diving, you will buy your primary computer and use the first one as a backup. My first computer was Uwatec (Scubapro) Aladin, which now is my backup.

Do not take a Zoop or a leonardo if you make recreational dives beyond NDL. Buy a new or second hand Aladin/UWATEC/scubapro computer that can handle 2 gas. You can find them new on internet in Europe for a max of 250 euros and resell it 2 years later, or better, use it as a backup.

Do not take a Zoop or a leonardo if you make recreational dives beyond NDL. Buy a new or second hand Aladin/UWATEC/scubapro computer that can handle 2 gas. You can find them new on internet in Europe for a max of 250 euros and resell it 2 years later, or better, use it as a backup.

Why Scubapro? There are other brands with more liberal decompression algorithm(s) than Suunto or Cressi

Why Scubapro? There are other brands with more liberal decompression algorithm(s) than Suunto or Cressi

Because Uwatec/Scubapro is a good brand. The Uwatec Aladin WAS THE reference in Europe . Now, I personally use an OSTC, but this is a tec dive computor and comes at a much bigger price tag.

Hi all,

I've been reading forums and reviews for last 2 weeks about dive computers and I have more questions then answers. I am recently certified diver and realized that a dive computer is a must. I am only at 25 dives, working on my 100 dives to get better in buoyancy before I go into technical diving. However for now I am just AOWD with rescue diver certification. I like "deep" dives. Hopefully I'll be soon able to go to 40m-50m wrecks, and later on I'd like to do cave diving and exploration for which I will definately need better computer later.

Many thanks

As most know from other threads, I am a shearwarter fan. That aside I would recommend that if you have goals for tech diving then you need to look for tech guys and buy for that phase of your diving instead of getting a cheapee and buying another again in a year. You probably don't have a clue what the difference between rec computers and tech computers. These guys can tell you what works best for them. They will be speeking from the point of view of wearing gloves display size alarms ease of use ect. Don't forget the ablity to update computer software.

ALL tec divers have back ups. So the cheapee one is not a bad idea. CAn serve later as a back up or a depth gauge/timer to be used as a support for the run times.

I was looking at the Mares Matrix,.. It's a watch-style computer that can set 3 gases and has a compás.

I was looking at the Mares Matrix,.. It's a watch-style computer that can set 3 gases and has a compás.

You can download data to both Mac and PC. I love the log book it has everything laid out as if it was written in a book..and not just a "screenshot" of the last dive. $400

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom