First Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Geez, did ANY of you people actually read the WHOLE OP? He said his next training will be sidemount and trimix. And he's in Slovakia. To those of you whose immediate thought is "trimix IS tech diving and he said he won't be doing that for a while", I submit two thoughts: One, even here in the U.S., you can take recreational trimix training. And, two, the OP says he's in Slovakia. I know in France, it's still considered "recreational" while being deeper than 40m and doing a small amount of deco. So, do you know what the standards are for non-technical diving in Slovakia?

@matejmiklanek : There really just aren't that many computers that support trimix. None that I can think of that wouldn't be considered "tech" computers. If you want a computer that supports trimix, I would suggest to check out the current trimix-capable offerings from Shearwater (Petrel or Perdix), Heinrichs Weikamp (OSTC 3 or OSTC 4), Ratio (iX3M and iDive), and Divesoft (Freedom). That will get you started. DEMA is next week and I would definitely NOT buy anything before DEMA is done and we all learn what new things are going to be available imminently.

The Hollis TX-1 would also do what you want, on paper, but as an owner of 1, I would not recommend it to anyone at this time, except for use as a backup. The Dive Rite Nitek Q would also do what you want. But, again, I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone except for use as a backup.

If you're going to start using Helium at all within the next year, you may as well get a computer that can handle that. Otherwise, you'll be throwing your money away because the non-Helium computer will be useless to you except as a depth timer as soon as you start with Helium. I'd say to get something trimix-capable now and then when you start technical dive training, shop again and buy another computer at that time, probably making the one you buy now into your backup. A backup computer that can do deco calculations based on using trimix is way better (in my opinion) than a backup that can only function to tell you your depth and dive time.

Lastly, if you buy something that will handle trimix, for the love of Neptune, please do yourself a favor and make sure it can run the Buhlmann ZHL-16 (B or C) algorithm with Gradient Factors. I'm not sure what other computers don't, but I know the Suunto Eon Steel does not support Buhlmann (even though it does support using Helium) and I wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot (3m) pole for use in technical diving.

Lastly, if you decide to hold off on a Trimix-capable computer, then seriously get the cheapest thing you can for the interim. Again, wait to see what is announced at DEMA. And also watch the Deep 6 website.

Deep 6 Gear

They are supposed to be releasing a computer very soon that will do anything you need (prior to trimix) and is only supposed to cost USD$139.

Back
Top Bottom