First dive of AOW class... Yukon 10/1/05, NOT fun.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skytzo_Marc:
I've also had a ton of people tell me that if I'm their area, they'd be willing to dive with me and help me get more comfortable in the water and practice my drills.
That's the good news - and it's always super to get that. Go for it...!! :thumb:

Skytzo_Marc:
Nope. The wreck lies on a slope so its depth ranges from the mid 80s to the 110s. I specifically remember him saying 100 feet because he had our class check the dive charts and the max no decomp time for 100 feet is 19 minutes.

Actually due to the angle -- the wreck is in 55fsw - 100fsw. To get 110 you would have to bring a shovel and dig a heck of a hole.

It is 100fsw to the sand.

Kimber

Unless my depth gauge was off, I'm absolutely positive I was at 100 ft several times without touching sand because I spent a whole lot of time staring at my gauges and watching my psi drop. Most of the time I was at between 80-100. I attempted to stay at 80 feet most of the time but I didn't want to be hovering too far above the rest of the group. Honestly, at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if that gauge was off, especially given the fact that it was their last rental that they had to dig up.

After the dive the instructor said his max depth was 95 according to his comp.

Now that you mention it, I do remember the dive master on the boat making a joke about digging in the sand to get to the part that was 110. I also remember him saying the majority of the wreck lay between 80-110 feet in depth.

TekDiveGirl:
Actually due to the angle -- the wreck is in 55fsw - 100fsw. To get 110 you would have to bring a shovel and dig a heck of a hole.

It is 100fsw to the sand.

Kimber

Kimber's right... I've been ON the sand (taking macro pics), and 103 ft was the depth. Anything in the 110's, yup- you'd need a shovel :)

MissyP:
Kimber's right... I've been ON the sand (taking macro pics), and 103 ft was the depth. Anything in the 110's, yup- you'd need a shovel :)
My depth gauge must have been off then because I stared at my gauges so much I could have burned holes in them. Especially when I hit less than 1000 psi and when GF and I started descending again.

I guess when I file a report I'll mention that I read 100 ft, but I've been assured that that was highly unlikely.

Just another reason not to use rental gear... *sigh*

WOW reading all of this makes me appreciate my instructor more than ever. I have been very fortunate to have one on on instruction, started my AOW after finishing my OW but am in no hurry to finish. We work on AOW skills but also just take time to work on improving my basic skills. He is patient when I am not comfortable or just not "getting it" yet ( like my navigation) and encouraging. I do think it is not the orginazation the instructor is from but it is the instructor him/her self. taking one on one instruction makes me feel more comfortable to scrap a dive or part of a dive for any reason. That is one of the first points my instructor made to my in my OW class. I am glad you are okay and no one was hurt.

SkyBird

Somebody brought up an interesting point elsewhere, 1000 psi was pretty low at that depth to be calling for an ascent.

In our dive planning stage we didn't discuss when we should ascend at all. Given that my past instructors have called for a max limit of 700 PSI for 50 footers, I should have started signaling low on air at 1400.

GAH. I can't believe I didn't even think to ask what our safety margin should be. I also can't believe that nobody else asked... and I really can't believe the instructor didn't set one.

Hi Marc:

You are correct here. Most folks are taught to END the dive with XXXpsi in the tank, but not given the means to actually calculate when to CALL the dive based on gas reserves for that dive. Sure they can ballpark most dives pretty accurately, but it doesn't make it right.

Do a search on "Rock Bottom" calcs.

It's actually mandatory for my AOW students to learn how and why these numbers have come about, and why they must be adhered to. Of course this is done BEFORE they ever get in the water with me on course.

It's simply a matter of taking the required time (Which is more than most like to give) to do it right.

Regards

Skytzo_Marc:
Somebody brought up an interesting point elsewhere, 1000 psi was pretty low at that depth to be calling for an ascent.

In our dive planning stage we didn't discuss when we should ascend at all. Given that my past instructors have called for a max limit of 700 PSI for 50 footers, I should have started signaling low on air at 1400.

GAH. I can't believe I didn't even think to ask what our safety margin should be. I also can't believe that nobody else asked... and I really can't believe the instructor didn't set one.

Skytzo_Marc:

You might want to play with rock bottom / SAC rate calculators a bit. here's one i wrote on my website:

http://www.scriptkiddie.org/air.html

Also, you should look up "CO2 hit" as well. From your report it sounds like your buddy nearly drowned from one. Overexcertion, panic breathing and overbreathing your regs can kill.

Back
Top Bottom