First Dive Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dived for the first time yesterday. After watching a video the night before, then 40 minutes of theory and maybe 20 minutes in shallow water practising removing the mouthpiece, swapping to someone else's octopus and clearing the mask (all of which I managed) I was taken on a reef dive - where the first part was restricted to 5m, then the intention was to go deeper.

Things are usually easier in confined water. This is why they do them in confined water. However, once you get out into open water, if you have not resolved everything you can in confined, things go poorly.

I had a problem twice that I couldn't work out, that my instructor put down to me panicking; but I don't think I did panic - when the problem happened (described below) I went through the skills I knew (including taking the instructors octopus), and having tried them all, I still had no air and at that point I surfaced (from 4m). This happened twice - and I don't know what happened (and having been told I panicked hasn't helped me understand).

Start asking "why". Find out why your instructor thinks you panicked. See if there is something to it. Or see what assumption the instructor us making. Keep an open mind and just try to understand WHY the instructor thinks you panicked.

On both occasions I was swimming around horizontal breathing through the regulator and had been for a little while (some minutes). I did have problems managing my depth - I'd been told to go up or down by pressing short bursts on the BCD valves - not to push and hold, I was getting used to how long it took and how many presses it took but I think the instructor felt I was too slow and would come over and give a firm push on the valve button - usually to put me on the bottom if I was coming down.

Uhm, my instructor slaps my hand when I put it on the inflater control. You want to be weighted so that you have a minimal amount of air in the BCD. The air in your lungs is used to control you going up and down. Breath normal and stay at the current depth. Deep breath and you should rise a little. Breath in a little slower and you should start sinking.

As you go deeper, because air compresses, you will need to add a little air to the BCD. As you surface the air in the BCD will expand so you will need to remove a little air.

If you are wearing too much weight, you will have to add an remove a LOT of air to the BCD. This makes things harder. Search this board for tips on improving your buoyancy and how to make sure you are properly weighted.

WHEN you need to add or remove air from your BCD, you use short bursts or short dumps. I'll do this maybe 4 or 5 times during the course of a 50 minute dive. Probably once or twice if I was keeping above 10m.

So I'm aware that concern over not managing my own depth may have distracted me. On both occasions I suddenly found my mouth completely full of water and then I was gagging. I pressed the front of the regulator to push the water out, but it didn't seem to do anything (I mean I got plenty of air coming into my mouth and plenty of bubbles appearing, but it didn't clear the water from my mouth - I still had no air to breathe. The instructor offered me her octopus and I put that in, pressed the valve to push the water out but I still had a mouth full of water. I didn't see much option but to surface.

Did you mention to the instructor that you occasionally found your regulator full of water? Did this happen when you were in the confined water? Are you using the same regulator in the open water that you used in the confined water?

Two thoughts pop to mind, you are not holding the regulator in your mouth and water is leaking in or there is something wrong with the regulator. If you had the problem in the confined and open water it doesn't tell us which is your problem. If it was fine in the confined water but not the open water then I'd suspect you are busy concentrating on other things and you let water leak in. Don't bite down hard. That does not help. Keeping water out of your regulator is like using a straw to drink. If I don't keep my lips pursed around the straw, air gets in and I have a hard time drinking. So, use your lips to keep the water out, if that is the problem.

If you have water in your mouth do the following. Spit/cough out into the regulator. Stick your tongue into the opening for the regulator (use your lips and teeth to keep holding the regulator in your mouth). Push the purge value button. Take your tongue out the regulator. Breath in. This method works even if you don't have any air in your lungs/mouth. Practise this even when you don't have any water in your mouth. Practise this above water.

I'm obviously concerned about ever trying again, knowing that I can't do that (surface) from deeper than I was, and yet I don't understand how to get out of the situation I was in - to be safe. I'm not sure whether in addition to pressing on the valve to clear water I have to do something else - perhaps I wasn't breathing out at the same time - although I was needing to breathe, so I'm not sure what air I had to breathe out, or maybe somehow as I was pressing the valve I was changing the shape of my mouth and somehow letting more water in.

If I'm ever to do this again I obviously need more practice than I had up front before the dive this time, but I really need to understand how to deal with that particular situation.

Can anyone help?

Practise is the key. If you don't feel safe then don't do it. If your instructor is going to rush you, get a new instructor. People DIE doing this wrong. By rushing you, your instructor is risking your health and possibly your life.

All my instructors (I've had four; DSD, OW, refresher, AOW) have told me, "this is not a race. take your time."

If you are paying for this, ask for your money back. Complain to the management. If this is included with the vacation, complain to the management. Tell them you are currently discussing this incident on a scuba board with over 100,000 scuba divers but that you haven't mentioned the the resort name... yet. In other words, if they got their money and there are no consequences for them, they will continue to treat you badly. If they realize this one incident could taint them for 100,000+ potential customers they might be a little more helpful.

Thanks 8thElementDiver - I'll keep at it.

diver_85 - not sure what you are getting at - as I wrote in my original post I had the experience I described above while being professionally instructed by a PADI qualified instructor. I'm not sure what more a novice is supposed to do. I didn't make any of the decisions about readiness or otherwise for a dive - I was in the hands of an instructor.

hedgert,

It is your life. Do not trust your life to someone you just met. First time I did a DSD I trusted the dive master who took us out. Didn't have a good feeling about it but figured they knew what they were doing. I was wrong. I lived without any ill effects. I don't know about the girl curled up in the bow of the boat. Looking back I realized I should have just said "no" and gone back to the resort.

If you have water in your mouth, look down while inhaling slowly and carefully. The water will have to go down and out and the air will have to go up into your throat.

Back
Top Bottom