First Dive trip- Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wolfgirl

Registered
Reaction score
(in case you were about to suggest this, I have read all the posts about the best places to dive, about Cozumel, about other locations in the Caribbean. :)

Here's the deal: I'm getting certified this weekend and my boyfriend and I would like to take a trip in the next month or so. Here are the criteria:

1. someplace warm, with great diving for my first experience!
2. a place that has great diving, AND things to do, like maybe a little nightlife, or excursions, sights (I know this can be rare)
3. Not the most expensive trip; we want to go at least 7 days and the cheaper the better.

We're in California, so Mexico is close. The only thing is that both of us, me especially, have been to Mexico many times already. I kind of wanted to go to the Caribbean- I went to the Virgin Islands when I was a little kid and have great memories of it. But, from all I've read here, a lot of people think Cozumel is great (and maybe less expensive to get there from here.)

What are people's opinions of any destinations in the Caribbean? I'm talking anything, from Bahamas, to Turks&Caicos, to the Virgin Islands (except we're not interested in the Caymans this time)? Vs. Cozumel? btw, boyfriend has already been to Bonaire, so we want someplace different.

My boyfriend is pushing for Cozumel- he says there are activities there b/c it's so close to Cancun. Does anyone know how cheap it is to stay in Coz. as opposed to other spots in the Caribbean? Any info is appreciated- the sooner the better!

thanks,

wolfgirl

Wolfgirl:
Hi my name is ayesa and I live in Cozumel. I'm also starting in the diving world. I can only tell you that I really agree with your boyfreind. Cozumel is near Cancun is you want to get wild, however we also have some night life. When do you want to come. I can find hotels from $25 US PP/PN Or do you want to come thru a package??? Diving here is Wonderfull. I can check good deals for you specially after your experienced with that instructor. I have freinds that are really nice with the people.

Your new mexican freind,

Caveat emptor means, in Latin, "Let the buyer beware." We also say in English, "You get what you pay for." Coz is a great place to dive and there are all sorts of places to stay--from a room with a shared bathroom down the hall to the Presidente Hotel (top of the list, 4 star place) and lots in between.

That said, I would seriously consider going on a package from Continental Air Lines (ads in nearly every scuba mag published) or going directly to their agent: Trip 'n' Tour. Or go to Island Dreams (also have ads and a web site).

As for a dive house--both those ops will set you up--but since you are a new diver you need to go with an outfit that will pay close attention to your needs. The Dive House is associated with Fiesta Americana--a very nice hotel--and I have seen them take new divers under their wing and do very, very well. Remember, you will no longer have that instructor glued to your hip and you need a gradual growth into becoming truly self-sufficient underwater. This is not the time to "do it on the cheap". It could ruin diving for you forever.

But this advice comes from someone who is a little older and fairly conservative--what do you younger folks say?

Joewr

Joewr- thanks for the info. It's a funny thing- I was surfing around different travel sites yesterday and noticed that Continental had a large share of the airline market to Coz. So I priced out a package with their service and picked the Fiesta Americana as our hotel to price it. So it sounds like I'm on the right track! I'll check into those other places you mentioned, too. It's good to know there are good dive places there; my boyfriend is an experienced diver so I won't be on my own by any means.

thanks,

wolfgirl

Back
Top Bottom