First Dives on my DSS BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have to second your opinion:
also made the "conversion" and had similar experience regarding stability and "nothing there feeling". It reminded me of diving without a BCD! That's how I started, and it took me a while to get used to my first BCD, an orange Scubapro similar to the ones that can be seen on the Scubaborad start page. It was a bit too large (I was very skinny at the time, so the length was right but it was too wide), and had the tendency to end up between my ears :wink:
Next one was a Oceanic Shute. At the time I thought it was terrific - in comparison to the Scubabpro. I mainly got rid of it for its heavy weight, especially when wet. I started looking for a leight weight setup, almost went for the Zeagle Brigade, and finally decided to give BP/W a try. Only now I know how far from terrific it was. :)

I am glad I started with the Hog Harness - was really surprising how comfortable it is and easy to don/doff. MUCH better than any regular BCD. Yes, a padded harness is a little bit more comforatble when walking without Neoprene, but I usually don't hike all geared up.

And I am still very happy with my "BP weight integration". Think I make this a permanent setup. You won't need that though, with 2lbs of lead

Stay warm!
d-s-f

Mitten Diver:
I would like to use the hardware that came with the pro-fit harness and incorporate it into the hog harness. I really like the extra points of connection on the polypoint ring.

I recently recieved both of my DSS Plates with the Pro Fit Harnesses and am very happy with them.

I ordered both with Pro fit harnesses because my wife liked the idea of Quick releases and a chest strap but her torso is so short that the polypoint rings would dig into her chest if they were rigged to support a chest strap.

So, off I go to the LDS for webbing and returned with materials for a hog harness. By leaving out the polypoint ring and going "full hog" she seems to like the fit much better.

My only concern is the possible entanglement hazard of those wonderfully crafted (but fixed) d-rings. Neither of us are doing tech diving or even coming close to any entanglement source in the near future so I will live with them for now.

We havent dove them in the pool yet to check trim etc, but so far I am floored at the quality of Tobin's product.

Just out of curiosity, how have you rigged your "Pro fit" D ring on the waist? with the flat part that the webbing goes through towards your back or the other way around? I did mine that way and it seems fine, just trying to see how everyone else has done it.

Cheers!

Kelsey

kelseysmith:
Just out of curiosity, how have you rigged your "Pro fit" D ring on the waist?
Kelsey

Kelsey,

I will have it rigged with the ring pointed towards my back. I have also chose to remove the front d-ring/crotch strap disconnect. I did not like the way that this ring is bent, it just seemed to stick out to far. I have decided that I will probably re-rig my plate with essentially a hogtharian harness, except that I will have the polypoint rings sew in place. I know that this could add some failure points, but all of the commercial grade BCs are done this way. I am even rethinking using only one of the quick disconnects to make the unit easier to don. I am wearing the straps uncrossed in the back as I have a very thick upper half and could not tell if there was any advantage for me to wear the straps crossed.

Gotta agree with you that Tobin's product is very nice quality.

Back
Top Bottom