First gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not that this is by any means the right way to do it but...

I had been diving the resort courses (4 of them) since 1995 (26 dives in Total) while on vacation. I just didn't have the time to get certified. Well last year I took the plunge and did get certified up here in Canada. From my Local Dive shop I purchased a wetsuit, Boots, Fins and replacement snorkel(I already had a mask and snorkel I had purchased previously on a trip).

I finished my open water dives in Venuzuela, (Margarita Island). I had the oportunity to see one operator who had poorly maintained equipment. I also had the oportunity to use a dive operator who had excellent equipment that was well maintained. Over the course of my vacation I had the chance to try a variety of equipment. Both good and unfortunately bad.

This Year I have decided to splurge. I bought the following

Prescription Dive Mask (It's nice to see fish that are only fuzzy when they are supposed to be) What's the point if you can't see anything while diving down south.

Mares M1 Dive computer (Yes I still do the dive tables manually, I just like the extra comfort if provides for Ascent etc.)

The Mares does everything I want it to do (Air, Nitrox, Standard AAA batteries that are field replaceable, backlighted display)

Sherwood Maximus Regulator (Easy breathing and very comfortable, under arm hose position)and Standard Octo with Sherwood compact guages (Compas can be added on back side of guages.

Sherwood Avid Weight integrated BC (Need I say more?)

My Christmas present to me is a 3 week Vacation in Cozumel to break it all in (January). I've tried a number of BC's, Regulators and even computers. This gear fits me like a glove.

My Bouyancy is pretty much as good as it gets (So my Instructors all told me..)

Anyhow, I hope this helps.

I dive a BC that was given to me secondhand, A mix of regs ranging from ten years old to new parts, I got my dive skin used on Ebay and I got a computer for Christmas.

Now I think most of the advice in this thread is good.... I think that it's reasonable to get used or less expensive gear until a diver figures out how he/she is going to use it.

It seems strange to me to reccomend someone get two thousand bucks worth of gear (titanium first stage titanum "accent ring" on second stage) and these people might be better served using that money to take some trips and experience.

I see a lot of people out there with more money than sense on dive boats adn many of them need a divemaster to take them on a guided dive. now there's nothing wrong with knowing your limits but some of these people have gear that costs more than I care to ponder.

I'm just thinking that some people need to be more realistic intheir reccomendations for gear to new divers.

When Istarted diving I was making less than 17 grand a year, it's silly to think anyone NEEDS to spend so much on gear. Just look at the thread about regs lasting over thirty years, there's alot of great deals out there for new divers.

just my humble thoughts
Rice

DiverBuoy once bubbled...

While ScubaKims makes a good point about defacation in used wetsuits, be aware they are cleaned and the materials used in manufacturing help prevent the forming of mildew and fungus. The best part is you'll get to try a variety of suits out and most shops have dozens of suits to offer - one to surely fit your size and comfort.

Just to qualify my statement about wetsuits and the "yuck" factor. Our LDS routinely treats their rental suits in a solution of betadine so we know that they don't carry any bacteria (plus urine is sterile!) but its just ... well, the "yuck" factor of wearing a suit that someone has pee-ed in. A good point, brought up by DiverBuoy, is the comfort factor. My wife doesn't fit into off-the-shelf wetsuits because she's skinny and tall so we went with a custom suit. She's much more comfortable and there is very little water circulation in the suit - so she doesn't think about the suit while diving. Good equipment, IMHO, should be transparent and let you enjoy the dive.

Rice also has a good point about not needing a Ti regulator. Cheap is good as long as its quality equipment. I, personally, prefer to purchase the best equipment I can afford - I think of it as a once-in-a-lifetime purchase (yeah, I know ... who am I kidding :wink:) and do not plan on re-purchasing all my gear - that gets even more expensive in the long run. I learned this the hardway while building up my Jeep. Do it right the first time because you'll just end up spending more money getting the gear that you want anyway. This, of course, indicates that you have done research and know which gear you want. If you don't, rent and try as many different brands/types as you can - get as much experience with the different configurations out there and you'll (and you will) decide on what suits you the best. Then you won't worry so much about how much money you're spending because you are purchasing what you want and what suits you for the type of diving that you do.

As always, MHO.

Paul

This is certainly a democratic board, so here is my opinion based on a total of six dives (which is about the status of RR75, the original questioner): first, folks are right about relying on your local shop. Second, buy choosingly (medium to high quality, probably not the very best and therefore most expensive.) The shop will teach you honestly about the options. Along with mask/snorkel and 3-channel fins, I bought boots. The 3-channel fins are an example of buying good-high technology. Even though I might not truly appreciate the advantage over simpler fins, I surely would not appreciate even more radical fin designs.

Next I'm buying a wet suit, and thanks to this thread, I know that these can be convertible in terms of coverage. I took my check dives in 82 deg. water, then dove in 79 deg. water, and thereby learned that my personal temp comfort threshold seems to be about 78-79 deg. F. Regulator will probably come next, as I have apparently been lucky (or have enjoyed good intuition) in choice of dive shops, with well-maintained rental gear. I'm therefore not in particular need to buy before researching a mid-high quality reg.

BCD will definitely come later, and here's why: based on new purchase price of USD$400+ for a med-high quality vest (don't need backplate for my simple dives at this point), I will be able to dive dozens of times before the rental costs equal the purchase price. There's the travel issue, too: a BCD (with or w/o integrated weight, which is personal choice only IMHO) will take up nearly a med suitcase by itself, added to the concerns of cleaning/drying before return trip. Along with researching/trying different models, I'll also learn about packing a properly maintained BCD for travel. By that time my own interests may have taken me to a backplate for tec diving, but that's unknown, so another argument for *me in my situation* against buying a BCD.

Last will be tank(s), which timing will give me plenty of time to research and use aluminum vs. steel, etc.

Along this road I'll acquire redundant and slightly different gear, and budget for camera gear as well, which investments will reflect one's own particular interests in diving.

Newbies, I hope this helps, and I'm sure I will learn from others' responses on this board.

In my wordy summary:bonk: I forgot to mention acquiring a dive computer: I intend to dive the tables, even though it costs me bottom time, until I learn times and depths more instinctively. Then I'll buy a computer, by which time I'll have researched and shopped for a med-high quality one, and tried both console and wrist-mounted ones.

Bottom line, as the majority opinions seem to agree: shop carefully with good research and opinions, try before you buy, and don't get swept away.

Reading this thread, I saw a lot of posts to put off purchase of a dive computer. I've found it really depends on the kind of diving you plan to do.

I've been diving off and on since 1971 and never felt the need for a dive computer until I spent a week in Cozumel (The week before 9/11). Being ignorant and/or stupid, I was following the dive master and his recommended profiles. It wasn't until the second day that I looked at my tables and found we had been blowing past them (Everyone else diving computers showed they were well within their limits).

It turns out that the typical dive profile would be a fairlyquick decent to 80-90' for about 10-15 minutes and then follow the reefs upwards to abou 50-55'. The computer tracks depth continuously and gives you credit for moving to shallower depths rather than the square profile we're all forced to use with the tables (I don't know anyone actually computing multi-level table dives like PADI's wheel). My wife and I both decided that if we were going to do any more tropical or live aboard trips, a dive computer becomes more of a necessity. Not so important for our weekend trips. (The Keys which tend to be shallow or to the Jupiter FL area where you actually end up diving a ' square' dive profile.

For the remainder of the trip, we fell back to the tables. Fortunately, I was on a club trip and was able to dive with a buddy who was accused of being an ASD (air sucking dog). It turned out his air consuption coincided quite nicely with my table based maximum bottom times.

Well, I'll share my opinion about gear with you. This is just my opinion.
Lets start with what I think is the single most important piece of life support equipment you can buy. The regulator, first stage, second stage and safe second (octopus). I really like piston regulators over diaphram styles. they seem to breath easire throughout the various depths. Also a "down stream" regulator is a must in my book. this feture allows air to always be supplied to the mouth piece in the event of a failure. As for the second stage, I like to have an adjustable regulator. One that stays dry no matter what attitude your in (head down, inverted, prone etc).
The safe second is up you. I have started using a safe second that in intergrated into the inflator hose/power inflator insted of the traditional octopus. It does however change the proceedure for "air sharing" as it is taught. But, it is easy to adapt in no time at all. The regulator I dive is the Scuba Pro Mk-25 first stage with a G250 second stage. My safe second is the Scuba Pro AIR-2 system. If I were to consiter a replacement for my current system I'd have to return to the Scuba Pro or the Atomic. I think they are both about the best on the market.

BCD's are another subject where you will get alot of feed back. I really like the back style over the jacket style. That style seems to suite my style of diving. Weight intergrated to me is alot better than having to wear a weight belt. My suggestion is try on rthe BCD's that you like. compare features, warrenties etc.
I dive a ScubaPro "KnightHawk" and my wife dives the "LadyHawk". We are both very pleased with our BCD's. However, ScubaPro is not on the cheap side. Zeagle, Oceanic and SeaQuest are build a good product too.

Get a wetsuit you like and one that is thin/thick enough for you climate. I have skins from 0.5mm thru 6.5mm farmer johns but, I don't think new divers need to buy a suit for every season, all at the same time.

Yes, a dive computer is worth every cent. The style you choose is up to you. Look around, compare features, prices etc. My picks would have to be Suunto "Vyper" or "Cobra". Aeris "Atmos" or the Cochren.
I'm not going to get into masks and fins. I'm sure your dive shop wants to sell you thousands of dollars worth of gear. Unfortunatly, you are going to have to spend a little money to buy all of your gear. Use caution in buying over the internet. Some Mfg's will not honor their warrenties if their gear has been purchased on-line.
Good Luck,
TR

Try to think forward to the type of diving you may do in the future, this is difficult I know but was good advice given to me.

I was going to buy one particular jacket , until my (excellent) LDS pointed out it wouldn't take twins(doubles to you lot over there).

I ended up buying a wing which would do both, and lo and behold I now dive on twins ! A lot sooner than I thought I would and have saved about $350 on the jacket.

I did of course spend it on regs ! :D

Try and think forward, talk to as many divers as you can. UP has a good point , ask people who don't want to sell you things !

Good luck and happy safe diving.

Hoppy

Try as many different combinations and styles as you can and get whatever is comfortable for you. Jacket, back inflation, or bp /wings. Everyone isn't comfortable with every style and, dare I say it???? Yes.. BP and wings aren't for everyone. Get what YOU are comfortable with.. and happy diving.

I went to my LDS. My instructor owns it.
I told him I wanted to be completely outfitted.
I got a Sherwood reg because they are simple
and reliable. I got an Oceanic Bioflex BC because
that's what my instructor wears and it fit me.
By buying the whole package it gave him some
room to wheel and deal on the price. I also got
some free service and "stuff". He knew my skill
level, the conditions that I would be diving under
and I've been completely satisfied with what I
bought. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom