First Grand Cayman Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bamafan45

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Would like some advice on do use,don't use dive shops. Along with any other information you think would be helpful. Thank you

I am not an experienced diver but 3 weeks ago I dove the ocean for the first time and used two shops - Indigo Divers (Chris and Kate Alpers) and DNS (Dusty).
Indigo has a small but very comfortable boat, super nice people, pick up at your lodging, and they have you slip off your BC and Chris takes it out of the water before climbing the ladder after a dive. Did 4 dives with them. Great experience! 6 divers max.
DNS - Dusty has a larger boat with much more room for gear, etc. He is also a super nice guy and very pleasant to work with. They also pick you up. 8 divers max. He has about 3 guys that dive with him almost everyday during the winter plus whoever else happens to go. 8 divers max.
I highly recommend either one of them.

Dive Turtle Reef - it's one of the better shore dives. It's located at the Cracked Conch/Macabuca restaurant in NW Point. Sundivers is on-site. Sunset House is a good way to spend an afternoon, dive the Mermaid, view the Cathy Church Photo School gallery and have lunch/drinks at My Bar. Stingray City is worth doing once.

A lot of the shore dives have on-site operators for tank rentals etc. Since they own the property to the waterline you rent from them. Cobalt Coast, Lighthouse Point, Sunset House, Eden Rock all do this. If you plan to do any independent shore diving (Cemetery Beach, Smith's Cove etc.), tanks are available at Divers Direct in West Bay or Eden Rock downtown. Most of the dive operators are either boat based or won't let you remove tanks from their property.

Ambassador Divers and Neptunes also get good reviews here often. If you stay along Seven Mile Beach many of the dive operators will pick you up. Some of the resorts have on-site dive operators also. Ambassador is located at Comfort Suites for example.

Don't go downtown when you see the big ships in the harbor - unless you really like crowds. :D Driving is on the left - the tourists downtown don't always get it. We've had several step off the curb right in front of us. Finding an ATM won't be a problem either...lol - there's like 300+ banks on the island. You may need one, everything on Cayman is pricier than just about anywhere else I've been. IIRC the exchange is something like US .80/CI$

We rent cars at Andy's. They're at the airport and have an office on SMB. They used to pick you up also - probably still do. We didn't get a car immediately since we had a late flight and were boat diving the next several days.

I'd say that all operators are reliable and competent. I stay away from the operations with multiple large dive boats. Like don Fosters, Red Sail. I used and loved Seasports last year. If you are on SMB they pick you up by boat at 9AM which is 1 to 1.5 hrs past others. This year I'm going to InDepth, as I am hopeful that will give a better chance to the North Wall. (We'll see) Also, they do a shuttle pick up at 7:45 (which I am not happy about). and Diver Steve is right on with so I will just +1 on that.

If you're going to be staying anywhere from East End around to Rum point, you should take a look at Ocean Frontiers. I've been out with them twice in the last 18 months, and am going back the first week in April. They're a great outfit.

It would be good to know where you are staying? You can then get better recommendations from a traveling perspective to and from dive OPs.

This was why I need input for fellow divers. I looking at several dive ops and want didn't want to go qith the wrong one. I've not booked anything and wanted to use your help as a quide. Thanks

My recommendations would be Cobalt Coast or Compass Point. Both have super onsite dive operations. That said, if you are thinking of the Caymans, my first choice would be Little Cayman Beach Resort for accommodations, diving, dive op, food, and friendly people. Liquid Diving Adventures.

This was why I need input for fellow divers. I looking at several dive ops and want didn't want to go qith the wrong one. I've not booked anything and wanted to use your help as a quide. Thanks

You should be looking for a full service dive operation that dives the North Walls (Best dive sites) and stay away from the Georgetown area where cruise ships and cargo ships arrive.
I would recommend either Cobalt Coast Dive Resort or Lighthouse Point Condo's, they are located on the North side with full service dive shops on site. Bonus is besides of great boat dives is these 2 locations have great unlimited shore diving from their boat docks. Plus, the new wreck dive, USS Kittiwake is just minutes from these docks.
If you go to the East end of Grand Cayman then I would recommend Compass Point or Tortuga divers which dives the North side but they do not have any shore diving or wrecks on the East end, so you are just limited to a boat schedule.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom