First Indo trip...need advice please :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any updates on your plans and anything else you've learned in the process? I'm in the same boat planning a trip...

Diving in Indonesia is beautiful.
From Sumatra to Timor there are excellent places to dive.
Sumatra: Pulua Weh, nice diving, big stuff, can be strong currents
Bali: Mantas, Mola Molas, Liberty wreck, etc. Its beautiful
Lombok:
South Lombok for experienced divers
East Lombok amazing, beautiful walls and great diving, not some many operator are diving there
West Lombok beautiful coral around sekongton
North Lombok: the Gilis, easy diving, a great trainings area for getting certifications, all kind of marine life
Komodo: my fav. best diving, go on a nice live aboard, like 7seas or pindito
RA:brilliant diving, same live aboards
Sulawesi: there are nice dive resorts....

Any updates on your plans and anything else you've learned in the process? I'm in the same boat planning a trip...

Sorry I didn't respond earlier :D This trip is looking like Octoberish of '12. I've done some more research, and taken into account some of the suggestions offered by folks here. I was leaning towards Wakatobi Resort, and now that is almost a sure deal. The final piece of the puzzle came in the form of a good friend of mine. Joe Liburdi has been diving for over 50 years. He was friends with Cousteau back in the day and was a pioneer in the early days of UW Photography. He is still diving at 81!!! Anyways, I've known Joe for a couple years now, and walked into his shop about a week or so ago. I asked him if he had been to Wakatobi Resort and his face just lit up. From that moment he could not stop talking about Wakatobi as the BEST reef diving he has ever done. Matter of fact, he had a vid/stills presentation at the shop on it and we watched it as he ran through his trip report.

So, Wakatobi is in, either 7 or 10 days. Initially though, we're thinking a 8 night LOB out of Bali for Komodo. On the return to Bali from Wakatobi we'll probably spend a few days on the island relaxing and maybe some diving on the northeast side. Like I said, 10/12... so I have time to tinker with the itinerary a bit. What are you thinking for your trip? Any tidbits you've found in your research?

Greg

So, Wakatobi is in, either 7 or 10 days. Initially though, we're thinking a 8 night LOB out of Bali for Komodo.

Just a thought, from what I've been told, the trips that depart from Bali for Komodo usually have to include some (not all) mediocre diving along the way (by Komodo standards). It may be easier and save on airfare (and some dubious flights) between Bali & Labuan Bajo but at the expense of the diving. Also, the crossing often involves some seriously rough water at times. BTW, I enjoyed walking around and eating in Labuan Bajo but it's not for everyone. Either way, you'll enjoy Komodo but these are just some things to consider.

So, Wakatobi is in, either 7 or 10 days.

We did 10 days there, and there were many sites we had dived that I wanted to request to do again, I enjoyed them so much, but we were short of time. I would not want to limit myself to 7 days.

Re: Komodo ... I agree with Zippsy ... unless you have an urge to just experience the boat ride, fly to Labuan Bajo or Bima and dive.

My Concern with Labuan Bajo is what I've heard of Luggage restrictions, we'll be 2 divers with gear and 2 cam set ups. I dont have to worry about that with the charter to Wakatobi :D

As a female diver inching up to 200 dives with a partner who loves to dive, my suggestion is go for the best diving you can get to. If you want a nice resort, a good 6 star resort in Thailand is always going to be better than any dive resort. If you want to encourage your GF to get really into diving, take her to the best dive areas you can, and show her some variety. I'm a great believer in, particularly if someone is just starting something, giving the best you can afford - they are much more likely to get hooked.

Now, to throw another spanner in the works, I'm going to suggest Borneo as well, and if you are going in April, consider Pulau Layang Layang - it is hammerhead shark season (when we were there we would get between 2 and 7 hammerheads in one out of two morning dives, and if no hammerheads, then always manta rays - amazing - still get goosebumps), plus it had the healthiest coral I have ever seen - beautiful fans, gorgeous soft corals and hard corals - lots of schools of fish, great macro (frogfish and denise pygmy seahorses) as well as pelagics. The resort is fine, but who cares when the underwater world is that amazing!

Also, the trick with Sipidan/Mabul is to find one of the more budget operators who let you book the dives in advance. You will definitely get at least 1 in 2 days on Sipidan. Scuba Junkies is a good bet as at still has aircon cottages on Mabul. That being said, I actually enjoyed the diving at Mabul more than Sipidan and we gave away some of our Sipidan days - and I don't even carry a camera. Except for the school of chevron barracuda, Layang was more impressive than Sipidan on every count.

Whatever you chose, enjoy your trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom