First over/under pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I had some time to play with three versions of this over/under picture. I used layers to adjust the light levels for three areas; underwater, sky, rock-pile. I used the brush tool to erase the lines made between the selected areas and I'm pretty satisfied with the results.

Which one of these pictures do you like best and why?

ONE
jetty_overunder3_edited-1.jpg

TWO
jetty_overunder2_edited-1.jpg

THREE
jetty_overunder1_edited-1.jpg

Interesting shots. I've always found the over unders difficult. I like the topside part of the shots better than the underwater part - not a lot to look at other than rocks. The 2nd shot doesn't have a sun flare in the water and saturation appears lower in the top portion, but other than that I'm hard pressed to see any major differences. The underwater part of the second shot seems a bit sharper too, so perhaps a smaller aperature used?

Great shots.

I also like 1 and 3. Shot one I like the tones above and below. Shot 2 is a little bright. It loses some of the mystery. I also like the dark areas under in shot 1. The balance and movement in shot 3 is great. Shot 1 draws my eyes to the left.

I would be proud to have taken any of the three. Excellent job!

Warren_L:
...I like the topside part of the shots better than the underwater part - not a lot to look at other than rocks. ... The underwater part of the second shot seems a bit sharper too, so perhaps a smaller aperature used?
Not many fishies are back from the winter and I was just practicing. Your other choice for underwater attraction was white sand :D. Same settings on the camera so must be motion blur from bobbing around.

kapula:
...I'd edit sun flare out though...
I couldn't make up my mind if that was a cool effect or a distraction. Most people think it's a distraction so far.

I'll probably re-work number three and darken the sky a little. I'll remove the lens flare and see what happens.

Thanks for your input everybody!

I like #2 the best. Composition is the best of the three, the horizon the water gives is more proportionately correct, the fall of the water allows you to see bottom through the water close to the lens, and it doesn't have sun flare creating an unnatural "sun spot" in a place it shouldn't be.

I would brighten the sky somewhat on #2 though, closer to #1, as the tonality is a but too muted.

Thanks my thoughts...

I have always liked over/under shots. How many strobes did you have firing underwater?

I like the first one the best. The border between over/under on the left is higher than the border over the rest of the photo, it gives me the impression that I am about to be hit by a wave, although a small one. ie., the feeling of motion comes through.

Bill.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom