First regulator please read

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ozorowsky

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

Curious here. I have an old US Divers Deepstar Aqua lung regulator that was handed down to me from my dad passing away. I dove in the past with my dad a handful of times but am not certified and we never went very deep.

I am getting certified the end of next month and was curious what route to go for my regulator. I have the option of having my local dealer service it for approx. $125 (Hasn't been used in about 12 years) OR I can purchase a new one.

The dealer says this was a very good brand and very reliable but I'm a computer guy and like to keep with the times, cost permitting.

That said, can you offer me some guidance as to whether I shoudl have this regulator serviced, or have there been major advances in regulators over the years in which I will have a massive gain of comfort etc by going with a newer TUSA regulator or something.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I love old gear, but as a new diver you are better off sinking your money into new gear. Keep the deepstar for later in your dive life.

Once you've got a few years under your belt and your comfortable with everything you own and dive with, think about restoring it. Dive the second stage as an octo or use the full set on a bailout bottle. That way you can alway take the memory of your Dad with you knowing he's got your back through his old gear.

I love old gear, but as a new diver you are better off sinking your money into new gear. Keep the deepstar for later in your dive life.

Once you've got a few years under your belt and your comfortable with everything you own and dive with, think about restoring it. Dive the second stage as an octo or use the full set on a bailout bottle. That way you can alway take the memory of your Dad with you knowing he's got your back through his old gear.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Could you explain in newbie terms why I would be better off sinking my money into new gear? What advantages would I have versus just getting this old gear restored? Its in great shape but sure needs new seals etc.

I'm not familiar with that specific regulator, but in general regulators have not improved much in the last twenty years or so. US Divers diaphragm first stages still use the same working parts they did in the old double hose days. There are a few old USD aficionados that will doubtlessly be familiar with the model you're referring to.

It's very likely that it's a fine reg that will work flawlessly once its serviced.

The Deepstar can still be serviced and works moderately well.

Biggest issue is hose routing and available ports, one I have only has two low pressure ports and one high pressure, the other has one low pressure and one high pressure. Today, having at least three low pressure and one high pressure is the minimum we are used to seeing.

I would recommend holding on to the Deepstar for later, and get something a bit more modern if for no other reason, making your training go smoother, and your buddies more comfortable.

I have a Deepstar manual in front of me. I doubt you can get "official" service kit from AL so the likely hood of a shop doing service work on them is slim. Most will not do service on a reg unless they have access to "official" parts. Parts can certanily be gotten, the reg only has a couple of o rings and a HP seat. The reg is a simple flow by piston, same basic design as the Scubapro MK-2 or the current AL Calypso. The second is a standard downstream design like many of the current low end regs, parts for it are generic as well.
With the limited number of LP ports and lack of official parts, I would hold off on the reg until later but I would someday restore it.

As long as it is the Deepstar (and not the Deepstar II) that is a good basic regulator. It is simple and reliable.

I agree with the post above. Save it and have service it later. You will enjoy diving it once you have done some dives.

Below are some diagrams.

DeepStar
The DeepStar has a simple non-balanced first stage.

Photo_2006_2_28_0_19_41_edited-2.jpg

DeepStar II
The DeepStar II has no HP ports for a pressure gauge. It is a strange regulator.
Its value for a collector is that it was an oddball.

Photo_2006_2_28_0_13_10_edited-2.jpg

This is an aquarius, but it has a similar second stage as the DeepStar.

Aquarius70s.jpg

I have all of the above in my small collection.

Thank you all for your replies. Mind if I ask your thoughts on the Oceanic GT3 regulator? I found one online, but what concerns me is it is "Paired with their SP-5 sport piston first stage with DVT" I like the DVT technology per my readings. Not too sure about that particular first stage, as scuba.com pairs it with a CDX5. Any help/thoughts/insight here?

Also what are your thoughts on TUSA regulators? I bought a TUSA Liberator BCD and also some TUSA booties and personally love the feel of TUSA gear, so leaning towards something like the TUSA RS-530 regulator, but that regulator doesn't have any mention of DVT.

The reason I like the sound of DVT is I am told you don't want to get your primary wet when not on the tank and I like the thought of just filling a large container after I get home rinsing my gear in it and hanging it up.

Thanks again everyone.

Plus one for Hog/ Edge regs. They are great from what I hear, very reasonable and they will even sell you rebuild parts so you can do it yourself if you want to get into that someday.

Otherwise I would recommend Aqualung Titan. It's the same reg internally as the Conshelf and the basic internal design has not changed in 30 + years. The US military has used Conshelfs for years and still does. They are bulletproof and simple.

I have Scubapro regs myself and they are good but I don't care for the way they do business. Scubapro has quite a racket going with their pricing and rebuild free parts policy. Basically if you buy a SP regulator through an authorized dealer you get free parts for life only if you take it in once a year. One day late and they could make you pay for the parts. The parts through a dealer are outrageous and to me any reg worth it's salt and taken care of shouldn't need to be serviced once a year, maybe every other year or even three years, but once a year to me is a scam to get you into the shop to spend money on annual service just because the parts are free. I think it's total BS.
I could buy a brand new reg for what it's going to cost me to get my two SP regs serviced since I've missed a few years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom