First time to the Philippine! need some advice on where I should go

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

that said, if you are a solo woman traveler the puerto galera area, and sabang beach in particular, might be a little overwhelming. consider avoiding sabang.

Just little bit confused... Sabang is one of the beaches in Puetro Galera area right? :) I can't imagine what the place is like.. but if it is seedy or not safe to roam around in the evening, where should I stay as a solo woman traveler in Puetro Galera then.. any recommendations? :) By the way, aren't most of dive operators located in Sabang beach? and how big is Puetro Galera?

Puerto Galera is the name of the municipality. You're correct, Sabang is one of the beaches and where the majority of the dive shops are at. The dive shops are here for the easy access to the majority of the dive sites. The dive sites are so close that the boats normally come back to the shop in between dives :wink: There are many places to stay, restaurants, and bars. The word "beach" is used loosely here as there isn't much of a beach along the water and during high tide it's pretty much non-existent :wink: At night it can be a pretty "loud and boisterous" place :) There are people other than divers who are attracted to Puerto Galera for the "party" atmosphere so although there are tons of divers there, you have to take into account another element as well. Sadly, there are many places in the world this must be taken into account, not just in the Philippines.

My impression from your post was you would like a little more laid-back vibe, just not "dead"? "Dead" unless you're really into diving would be Anilao :wink: You are your own entertainment in a lot of cases. When I dived there, I spent several hours in the water every day. Dr. Bill wasn't exaggerating when he said 2 hour plus dives were not unusual. There would be a bit of socializing at dinner, which was normally later after you came back from the night dive, then you went to bed. Because after being in the water all day, you were tired, but tired in a very "good" way :) Anilao is quiet and far from city life. I slept very well while I was there :wink: But traveling alone, you could very easily end up as the only one there at some point during the week. That was my own experience.

Lot's of people here will make suggestions based on who they've dived with. I'd suggest Trip Advisor as a good way to check out a lot of opinions. I dived with Asia Divers the first time I went there and Dive Dojo the second time. Atlantis gets good reviews from a lot of people, as does Big Apple. I'd find a dive shop I liked first, then let them help you with accommodations.

With Anilao on one extreme and PG on the other, in between you'll find Moalboal and Malapascua (of the places we're considering). They're both relatively quite compared to PG but with plenty of restaurants, small bars, and resorts to stay in. It's a quieter vibe and the majority of the people are there for the diving :wink: In Malapascua you can find a resort/dive shop with a white sand beach. Not so easy in any of the other places under discussion here :wink:

But again, we're just throwing things out there. We obviously all have our own preferences :) For some people Anilao sounds like heaven with nothing but diving and the peace and quiet. For others they want to dive all day and dance all night, in which case I'd say definitely PG and Sabang Beach in particular. Other people, a little seaside town with it's resorts, and gift shops, little hole in the wall bars, and small restaurants where you can pick from the fresh catch of the day and they cook it for you. The diving is good. Just not as good as other places. For them I'd say Moalboal.

Last for people who want a little adventure, to go to a place with white sand beaches, where you can see sharks, dive wrecks, see things that are rare to see in other places. Who want to sit in a little bar right on the beach and talk about the events of the day, or relax in a hammock and read a book, while the sea breeze gently rocks you, or lay out on the beach when you're not diving and soak up the sun.... For them I say go to Malapascua Island... In 3 weeks, that's where I'll be headed to.... I can hardly wait :)

We had a very nice time with Atlantis in Puerto Galera. I didn't feel unsafe at all, nor was the place too noisy or too boisterous, but if you wanted to sally forth from the resort and check out the rest of the community, you could easily do it. The inshore reef diving was mild drifts, for the most part, suitable for just about anyone. Verde Island was considerably more challenging, although very beautiful.

Atlantis in Dumaguete wouldn't suit you, from what you have written. The resort is more than a half hour's drive from town, and there is nothing around it at all.

Yes, I've heard a lot of good things about Atlantis, and they're definitely one of the "top tier" resorts there. Time of year will matter in PG too. I've been during the season and during off-season. Was a really big difference, but of course you're always taking some risk traveling during off-season because that also happens to coincide with typhoon season. In this case she's traveling during one of the busier times of year. If I were her and set on PG, I'd stay at Atlantis or El Galleon.

I would still suggest she give serious consideration to Malapascua Island though. Not that she would not enjoy PG because I'm sure she would, but because based on what she's said, and my own experience having been to both places, I think she would enjoy Malapascua more. In the end though we're just offering opinions and it's up to her to make a choice. The tough thing about the Philippines sometimes is that there are so many good choices :wink:

Sabang is perfectly safe for a female travelling alone....Not sure why anyone hasnt just come out and said it - Sabang beach is a moshpit of dive shops and girly bars. Love the way everyone has delicately danced around the subject :D

The frequenters of the girly bars arent looking for western women to date or follow home, they are there for the Asian girls. My hotel was up a couple of lane ways behind one of the more popular brothels and at no time did I feel unsafe walking up those lane ways.

Diving was great, I chose to dive with Sky at South Sea Divers in Sabang. The other plus for Sabang is its relative ease of getting there from Manila. Fly in, catch the bus and the ferry across.

Sebang for sure, Malapasqua is great for a few days. Evolution were great, but for 8 days you will be bored. If going to Cebu spend a few days there and move to Moalbaol or Alona beach. Don't do Mactan, as a single they will charge a fortune, the will not let you join trips, very disappointing.

I have female friends who go to Sebang, I have also recommended it to families with no complaints.
personally I recommend Small Lalaguna Beach, it's nicer and a 5 minute walk to the main areas.
I dive with Action divers and highly recommend, but El Galleon Dive Resort, Blue Ribbon and AB wonder dive may be worth checking out. Not everybody has the same requirements. :d:d

Just got back 2 days ago never bored in Sebang 15 trips there and usually 1 other destination in the Philipines every year and I did Cebu for 2 weeks in May with 3-4 days in Malupasqua and Moalbaol.

if you see somewhere to stay and want to dive elsewhere, most have no problems.

Everybody has an opinion :wink: I spent 11 days in Malapascua the first time I went and a week the 2nd and was never "bored" :)) If it were boring I wouldn't be going back for a 3rd time. Again, I'm not saying anything is wrong with PG. I enjoyed my trips there too and the recommendations in PG that are being made are good ones. Everyone is different though.

What she said in her original post was "I just love backpacker atmosphere". PG is many things and has, as I've said, some of the best diving in the Philippines, but I wouldn't say it has a "backpacker atmosphere" :))

In any case, I think we've beat this one up enough :)) We all have our favorites. For some it's PG and obviously for others it's Malpascua :wink: I'm sure if she has specific questions she'll ask or PM one of us :coffee:

lovelyg you are getting some great advice here by people in the know. no matter where you chose (but given your situation we seem to be in general agreement about pg and malapascua although i wouldn't rule a week in bohol out either) you are sure to put your soon to be acquired aow certification to good use. and wherever you decide, i think we would all agree you will make the most of it and be very far from disappointed.

the philippines is somewhat unique in my experience due to the existence of a score or more shore based destinations, the farthest being no more than an interesting day's travel away from the other, featuring a dozen or more dive sites each, many of them world class. (and this is not even taking into account the generally very friendly and warm people of the philippines.) once bitten you will be back to visit more of them, and to repeat those you liked the most.

let us know what you decide, and when you return, what your experience was like.

Thank you all so much for your advice. It is very much appreciated!
I have just looked through all the comments here. it really really helped me out.
I'm narrowing down the options now and almost leaning to Anilao or PG as recommended the most.
I'll post my report after I get back from the trip!
Thank you so much Nice Scubaboard People :)

I never gave a thought to wandering about Sabang... but then I'm a rather strong male. I had female divers there at the same time and they felt no qualms to the best of my knowledge. The Atlantis Resorts are reviewed very favorably. I enjoyed my time with Action Divers who gave me a $95/day package that included 3 dives per day, hotel (Banana Moon) and breakfast. If you choose to go there, take a VISA card as they didn't accept traveler's checks (who does these days?) or MasterCard in many places.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom