First time to the Philippine! need some advice on where I should go

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

. A couple of points- I really don't know why everyone keeps calling the area Puerto Galera, as this is a city about a half hour jeepney ride south of the diving area. I know that this is the administrative center, and there are a few scattered dive operations around it, but 95% of the divers head north to Sabang, which is where the action is for divers.
There are several Sabang in the country but only one Puerto Galera. Sabang in Palawan is also quite well known because of the Underground River and scuba diving is also available there.

I stand corrected, as I didn't know there were other Sabangs to confuse it with. Although, speaking of confusion, when I first researched this area, I spent a considerable amount of time noodling around Puerto Galera web sites before I realized that nearly all the action was several kilometers north at Sabang. I'm just saying...

I usually just make the reference to Sabang/Puerto Galera to clarify

I was able to transfer from Anilao to PG using public transport and reach PG in time to do the night dive. Not saying not to do both, just suggesting to do further research before deciding.

Did you dive in Anilao in the morning before traveling to PG/Sabang? I am thinking of traveling to Sabang by public transport after morning dives in Anilao but not sure how long it will take.

Did you dive in Anilao in the morning before traveling to PG/Sabang? I am thinking of traveling to Sabang by public transport after morning dives in Anilao but not sure how long it will take.

I had to refer back to my original trip report (it's been several years now). http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ph.../238619-trip-report-anilao-puerto-galera.html Here's what I wrote in response to the same question... "

"Puerto Galera is just across the Verde Passage. Maybe 1 1/2 hours by ferry (depending on ferry). It took me about an 1 1/2 to get to Batangas from Anilao, but that was by trike and jeepney. I think it could be done faster if you hired a car to take you. So figure about 3-4 hours, if you hit the schedule right. I was lucky as I walked right onto a ferry at Batangas that was getting ready to depart."

The ferry ride is about an hour to an hour and a half depending on conditions. If you miss the ferry that could add some time. Just have to hit things right. I don't know if you would make it in time or not to dive at night if you did two morning dives (I didn't). I think it's possible, but if you miss a connection anywhere along the way you'll be to late. Here's a link to ferry schedules: PUERTO GALERA FERRY PHILIPPINES - TRIP SCHEDULES Good luck!

I had to refer back to my original trip report (it's been several years now). http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ph.../238619-trip-report-anilao-puerto-galera.html Here's what I wrote in response to the same question... "

"Puerto Galera is just across the Verde Passage. Maybe 1 1/2 hours by ferry (depending on ferry). It took me about an 1 1/2 to get to Batangas from Anilao, but that was by trike and jeepney. I think it could be done faster if you hired a car to take you. So figure about 3-4 hours, if you hit the schedule right. I was lucky as I walked right onto a ferry at Batangas that was getting ready to depart."

The ferry ride is about an hour to an hour and a half depending on conditions. If you miss the ferry that could add some time. Just have to hit things right. I don't know if you would make it in time or not to dive at night if you did two morning dives (I didn't). I think it's possible, but if you miss a connection anywhere along the way you'll be to late. Here's a link to ferry schedules: PUERTO GALERA FERRY PHILIPPINES - TRIP SCHEDULES Good luck!

I actually wasn't thinking of night diving in PG on arrival until I read your post and then thought.. hmmm. :D

It's good to know how long it took from Anilao to Batangas pier. It might be worth looking into a private car for that leg if I want to be night diving in PG. Thanks Bill.

Back
Top Bottom