First time to the Philippines and need help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't take traveler's checks (almost no one accepts them) and some areas do not take MasterCard, possibly others Visa

Don't take traveler's checks (almost no one accepts them) and some areas do not take MasterCard, possibly others Visa

Seen the slogan everywhere: "In God we trust, the rest pay CASH"
Cebu airport gives really rotten rate.
Manila airport is slightly better.
Avoid any hustler on the street for money changing.
You can also change money at SM Mall or Money changing place(never change large sum of money there).
Make sure your green back is in good condition.
ATM is not that common.
Most resorts will accept plastic with/without extra charges. Enquire first. But some will only take CASH.
The country is generally very safe as long as you use common sense.

Cebu Pacific is NOW offering special for flight between Manila and Cebu(25th Nov -18th Dec) for as little as P399.00 ++ per sector!! A return with 40kg check in is P4,489.56 (~US$102.00) all inclusive. While it is P6,114.00(~US$136.00) for PR(45kg). A total saving for two persons of P3,000.00 is good enough to pay for a comfy room in Manila for one night or two dives anywhere.

Last edited:
We are flying Delta to Manila so all out bags must be 50 pounds or less. We always pack them for the full 50 pounds for 3 bags. We will each have a carry on also but have never weighed them.

I really appreciate everyone's help. Thank God I asked here before booking all my rooms and transfers. You guys are the best!!

---------- Post added September 19th, 2014 at 12:09 AM ----------

Hi there

You will love the Philippines. We did 3 weeks last summer ...Malapascua, Dumaguete and Maolboal. If you like sharks don't miss malapascua. We also did the whale shark trip to Oslob from Turtle Bay...loved it so much. Liquid in Dumaguete is outstanding, we also love the Sea Explorers properties.

I would be inclined to leave out Pp and do Malapascua instead...or else come back as everybody does.

This trip may be what we end up doing. I have noticed many recommending these places. This will make life (vacation) a heck of a lot easier than flying several times during our stay. We love diving and only get to get away to the east side of the world 1 time a year.

Everyone has be super helpful and I really appreciate it more than anyone knows.!!

---------- Post added September 19th, 2014 at 12:15 AM ----------

Seen the slogan everywhere: "In God we trust, the rest pay CASH"
Cebu airport gives really rotten rate.
Manila airport is slightly better.
Avoid any hustler on the street for money changing.
You can also change money at SM Mall or Money changing place(never change large sum of money there).
Make sure your green back is in good condition.
ATM is not that common.
Most resorts will accept plastic with/without extra charges. Enquire first. But some will only take CASH.
The country is generally very safe as long as you use common sense.

Cebu Pacific is NOW offering special for flight between Manila and Cebu(25th Nov -18th Dec) for as little as P399.00 ++ per sector!! A return with 40kg check in is P4,489.56 (~US$102.00) all inclusive. While it is P6,114.00(~US$136.00) for PR(45kg). A total saving for two persons of P3,000.00 is good enough to pay for a comfy room in Manila for one night or two dives anywhere.

Thanks a ton!! This is super helpful information. You had mentioned it takes a lot of time to travel within the country. What is the reason for the delays? So I get an idea of how long , long is, how long would it take to travel from say Dumaguete to Moalboal? I assume this would be a ferry that would take us there? Also how long would a trip from Moalboal to Malapascua take? I know I am quoting you but I hope others can step in here too to give me an idea of how long it takes to get around.

Thanks!!

---------- Post added September 19th, 2014 at 01:42 AM ----------

OK 1 more question. I am looking at hotels, flights, etc and had a question. I am plotting out my stays and looks like I will end up in Malapascua Island last. My return flight home is leaving Manila on December 18th mid morning. When should I plan to leave (check out from hotel) to get to Manila, get a good nights sleep and get ready for my flight on the 18th? Would it be reasonable to say I can check out early morning on the 17th, head to Ceba and catch a flight to Manila?

Assuming you are selecting Dumaguete, Moalboal and Malapascua for your trip.
1. I would suggest you should go to Malapascua first because it is the furthermost from the airport.
2. Malapascua to Moalboal is at least 6-7 hrs by private transfer!!!!
3. From Moalboal to Dumaguete is about 2-3hrs by public transport. You can save some time by taking a private transport to the nearest port(Bato, Liloan and Santender, you have to find out which is the most convenient for the ferry crossing to Dumaguete).
4. Everything is moving very slowly and unpredictably in the country. Bus and ferry get delay or cancel for no apparent reason. So you have to allocate a lot of time to cover any unforeseen circumstances. I read from our local diving forum, a 170km road trip on a public bus took nearly 6hrs!!!!!!
5. Dumaguete airport is ONLY 30mins from most resorts in Dauin rather than 4hrs from Malapascua to Cebu.
6. It is only sensible to arrive in Manila a day earlier for your home bound journey.

You might also check the Island of Siquijor which is about 2hrs away by fast boat from Dumaguete.

Have fun

I second the travel plan Centrals have just provided above.

Malapascua, Moalboal and Dumaguete are great dive destinations. I have seen Thresher Sharks, Manta Rays, Eagle Rays at Malapascua, Whale shark (4 divers from my group, I missed it by 50 meters) at Moalboal, and schools of big fishes at Dumaguete. Colorful corals are everywhere. Remember to check out and swim at the Kawasan Waterfalls while you are at Moalboal. You might also want to work you way to Bohol (within a few hours by boat from Dumaguete) and check out the wonderful dive sites at Panglao and Balicasag. Great diving there as well. Have a great trip.

Thanks again guys!!

Yes that was my plan, Central. Thanks to everyone here for setting me straight. I am so glad I asked before booking everything!!

Does this seem reasonable?

Land in Manila Nov 24 and stay till Nov 25

Fly from Manila to Cebu and take private transfer to Malapascua Island. Stay from Nov 25 - Dec 2 (7 days)

Travel from Malapascua to Moalboal from Dec 2 - Dec 9 (7 days)

Travel from Moalboal to Dumaguete from Dec 9 - Dec 17 (8 days)

Travel Dumaguete to Manila Dec 17

Fly out Dec 18

Does this seem reasonable?
Land in Manila Nov 24 and stay till Nov 25
Fly from Manila to Cebu and take private transfer to Malapascua Island. Stay from Nov 25 - Dec 2 (7 days)
Travel from Malapascua to Moalboal from Dec 2 - Dec 9 (7 days)
Travel from Moalboal to Dumaguete from Dec 9 - Dec 17 (8 days)
Travel Dumaguete to Manila Dec 17
Fly out Dec 18
Let's look it in fine detail:
25th: Manila to Malapascua; night dive is possible
26th - 1st : Diving for 6 full days.
2nd: Malapascua to Moalboal; night dive is possible
3rd - 8th: Diving for 6 full days, side trip to Oslob to dive with the whaleshark is an option.
9th: Moalboal to Dumaguete, start diving in early afternoon onwards.
10th - 15th: Another 6 full days of diving
16th: Off gas
17th: Flight to Manila
18th: Home

Mu suggestion is one less day in Moalboal and add one more in Dumaguete(Apo Island, Siquijor Island and Sumilon Island). But if you are interested on WWII history then you should consider spend an extra day in Manila for the tour to Corregidor Island.
17-18 days of diving is quite demanding so I hope U2 are FIT. Take it easy and have a great trip.

Thanks again guys. I booked everything last night and this morning.

I changed my trip around as Central suggested.

Staying in Manila 1 night
Staying in Malapascua 7 nights (6 days of diving)
Staying in Moalboal 6 nights ( 5 days of diving)
Staying in Dumaguete 9 nights (6 days of diving and 2 days of land tours)
Staying in Manila 1 night

And Central, we are not fit people but just love diving. We spent 22 days in Palau last year and dived 19 of those days. Minimum of 2 dives a day. Mostly 3 dives and a few 4 dive days. If I could stay underwater longer, I sure would.

BTW I ended up booking the following hotels. Hope they are decent...

Manila - Heritage
Malapascua - Tepanee Beach Resort
Moalboal - Qua Vadis Dive Resort
Dumaguete - Mike's Dauin Beach Resort

All these rooms are free cancellation so if I messed something up please let me know so I can make some changes.

Heritage Hotel on EDSA/Roxa Blvd is good but where do you change the money? Unless your resort/dive operator on Malapascua accept plastic you need cash as there is no ATM there.
There are banks inside the arrival hall in Terminal 1 and may be ATM as well. And if you arrive not too late in the evening you can catch a taxi from your hotel to Asia Mall to change some more. But please do it carefully and NOT in large sum.
Island of the witch(Siquijor Island) might be interesting for a day trip.
I am sure you will enjoy the dive as well as the top side attraction in the country.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom