First trip to Utila- What to avoid?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

szohn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just booked my first trip to Utila. We're flying to Roatan then catching the flight to Utila on 6/3. We're staying at Deep Blue so we're all set with our plans.

For those of you who've been there, any place special you recommend, food, topside events. What about places to avoid?

Thanks,
Steve

Hi. We loved Utila. We went to Jade Seahorse for dinner one night and then had drinks at their treetop bar--that was really cool. Good food! We also did a bbq one night and I can't remember the name or the night, but it was really tasty. There are several bars over the water, which we made the rounds to each night. If you have the opportunity, definately dive the sea mount--it was one of the coolest dives we did in honduras.

I was in Utila earlier this year at Utila Lodge. If Oceancat is referring to the Pinnacle, then I totally agree - it was my favorite dive site of the trip. On my last day when there was no afternoon dive I rented a little Honda 4x4 that was really fun. Cost about $40 (I think) for 4 hours. I went all over with it. Have a great trip.

Thanks for the suggestions! Any other dives sites not to be missed or any to stay away from? I'm under the impression, the first dive is usually on the north side (weather permitting) which is the "better" diving then return south.

Is that a weather thing or just so they can get back at a reasonable time? Do the captains usually take suggestions (or bribes :D ) or is it more of a set schedule on where they dive? (I'm diving with deep blue, so anyone with experience feel free to set me straight.)

I'm betting the BBQ was RJ's, which is wonderful!
Open Wednesday & Fridays only.
Get there early for the best selection cause it's a popular place & the top picks like Lobster (so big it hangs over the plate) go QUICK! :wink:

oceancat:
If you have the opportunity, definately dive the sea mount--it was one of the coolest dives we did in honduras.

The sea mount dive is Black Hills. One of the greatest dives I have ever dove. The Great Wall on the northside is pretty spectacular also.

As far as where to eat. RJ's is worth a visit or two. Cross Creek is generally good also. Beyond that, a lot of the places are hit and miss. Everything is so inexpensive that if you get an average meal somewhere the cost takes the "sting" out of not meeting your expectations.

If you're staying at Deep Blue Resort the only thing you need to take is a small pump bottle of DEET. (non aerosol). Also. don't worry about what the captain is going to do Swin is one of the best in the islands. Three great dives: Black Hills, Blackish Point and the Pinnacle. The Pinnacle is a deep dive with a spectacular swim thru....much like Devil's Throat in Cozumel. Deep Blue is isolated from town...have to go by boat. You'll probably be too tired from having so much fun. But......RJ's BBQ is a must do go early, go to the very back and sit at the bench table watch Robbie cook and have a rum & sprite. If you still have time after eating check out the Tranquila bar, right next door to the Deep Blue Diver's shop in town. Oh, & tell Shirley, Jas & Steve that LaCuda & I sent our regards.

Is RJ's no longer open on Sundays? That was our regular dinner place every Sunday, Wednesday and Friday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom