flights from Cancun to Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah well I don't rent dive gear and my gear weighs what it weighs so flying to Coz is out for me.

Any puddle jumper flights anywhere in the world operate as MAYAir, it's the nature of the physics of a small plane, you can't change the physics, so puddle jumpers always have major weight and size restrictions, it's gonna be like that for flying around from french polynesia islands to even something closer like getting to Little Cayman in the caribbean and anyplace else with small planes. When you accept that your flights will involve a small plane you have to change your mindset of dragging 200 lbs of scuba equipment around with you and look at alternatives. When we were in FP, I recall the weight restrictions were even crazier, I think the bags had to be under 40 lbs and carry ons were under 9 lbs. Luckily for Cozumel you aren't forced to fly a puddle jumper, you always have the alternative of flying in the big jet, you just have to bust open the wallet.

www.mayair.com.mx

The bus/ferry option is not bad. Relax. Enjoy the sights.

www.mayair.com.mx

The bus/ferry option is not bad. Relax. Enjoy the sights.

I agree. The so-called "bag drag" is easy. The ADO buses are pretty nice. Unless I am trying to make a connection for which I don't have time to take the bus, the MAYAir puddle jumper is not all that attractive to me.

It was two years ago, and I may have had an exceptional experience, but it was very convenient for me and worth what I paid. I had two 48lb pieces of checked luggage, a carry on regulator bag and a regular carry on. I was charged something like $20 extra for the trip from Cancun to Cozumel, and a little over $40 extra from Cozumel back to Cancun.

Though I had no idea where I was going or how to get there from Cancun, I just walked out the doors with my luggage and asked someone by the vans outside and I was led to a van that took me to the other airport and it was free.

I would also add this, I booked online, and I paid the rate online which was more than CVchief paid. In all, I spent less than $70 on extra weight fees. It was worth it for me, and I'd do it again if I had to. I got to Cozumel probably before I'd have even made it to Playa del Carmen via the road Next time, I'll email them.

If CV is getting better rates via email, I wonder if a very kind, "We're scuba divers so we have lots of baggage and we'd love to us Mayair, but your extra weight fees give us cause for concern…." might not get you some kind of waiver on the limitations, or maybe a reduced rate on them. When I crossed from Cancun to Coz, there were very few of us on the plane and I think that's why they didn't charge me the way they could have. Fwiw, if you and your sig otter bought one extra ticket between the two of you, that should cover the over weight for both of you, including body weight and allowed 44 lbs luggage for the extra ticket. Maybe that line of reasoning with them would work. Then it's only costs an extra ticket each way.

Not trying to, but it's pretty hard to argue a split trip between cenotes or whatever for a few days, and then a trip to Coz on the ferry for some nice ocean diving.

-Blair

It just cost me a extra 100 dollars for over weight luggage in December.They were not about any type of negotiating at all.Plane was full.Now that was for two people. I only paid 35 dollars for the flight and with the 50 add on for extra luggage, I figured for 85 bucks not to bad.

It just cost me a extra 100 dollars for over weight luggage in December.They were not about any type of negotiating at all.Plane was full.Now that was for two people. I only paid 35 dollars for the flight and with the 50 add on for extra luggage, I figured for 85 bucks not to bad.

At least you luggage got on the plane with you. Those weight limits are set for safety reasons to not overload the plane for take off. It's not unheard of to not be able to 'buy' your luggage onto small planes at any price, and it having to follow you on the next flight, the next day or the next week on the next available plane load that it can fit on.

It was a statement, not a question.

Southwest Airlines doesn't fly to Cancun, and you can't book such a flight on their website or by phoning them.
However, we are excited to have connected our flight networks, allowing you the ability to purchase flights across both Southwest® and AirTran®networks in a single itinerary.
All AirTran planes will eventually integrate into the Southwest brand forming a single network, reservation system, and loyalty program. Combined, Southwest and AirTran serve 97 destinations in the United States, Mexico, and the Caribbean.
Our plan is to have AirTran completely integrated into Southwest Airlines by the end of 2014.

At least you luggage got on the plane with you. Those weight limits are set for safety reasons to not overload the plane for take off. It's not unheard of to not be able to 'buy' your luggage onto small planes at any price, and it having to follow you on the next flight, the next day or the next week on the next available plane load that it can fit on.

Yes Mike I was fortunate to be able to get on the plane as it was full and I had to be 60 lbs over just myself but the bag drag has become such a pain. Liked it much better 20years ago when there was less people on the mainland.

As I understand the announcement from earlier this week, Southwest will integrate all of AirTrans' international flights by the end of October 2014, and all remaining AirTrans flights by year end. Unfortunately, while most of the Wright Amendment disappears on November 1, 2014 (meaning direct Southwest flights into and out of Dallas Love from all domestic destinations), the prohibition on international flights will remain in effect. But you will be able to fly one-stop from Dallas to Cancun on Southwest, going through either Austin or San Antonio.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom