Flights out of Sorong

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

what about Batavia? Decent airline. Read somewhere they are now flying into Sorong via Makassar
Definitely not Merpati
When you planning Raja?

There is also an option with Lion Air every day except Sunday :
- Sorong –Manado 09h25/10h15
- Manado-Surabaya 12h25/13h55
- Surabaya-Denpasar 15h50/18h00

This option is a bit long but at least it is the same airline all the way and even if they are late you will get to Bali the same day and they will be the only ones responsible for your baggage.
I’m also not 100% sure that the connecting will work , but then again they will be responsible and help you find solutions.

Lion air has also an option via Ambon and Makassar 3 days a week, departure from Sorong at 06h00.

If your only solutions are Express air and Merpati, as a general rule AVOID Merpati in Indonesia.

I would definitely agree with not flying with Merpati.

The last time i flew Makassar - Sorong with them I spent from 08.00 at the airport waiting for a plane that never showed. Finally at six in the evening they admitted defeat and came clean that the plane wasn't going to be there until the following day. At least they put me up for the night in one of Makassar's more novel hotels, looked like something from a Charlie Chan film set. A point to note is that if you are going to be delayed, be delayed in Makassar, the airport is modern and possibly one of the most "pleasant" in Indonesia.

On the way back Merpati only delayed us for four hours out of Sorong, not a pleasant experience.

However, you need to remember the diving in Papua makes it all worthwhile and you come away with a great "bad" travel story.

Righto good advice seems the trend is to avoid Merpati, seems they have a reputation. Thanks guys. Kev, Im heading there in Jan, no flight from Batavia that day from Sorong. Anyone have experience with Sriwijaya? They have a flight out to UPG at a reasonable time that morning.

@Yozzer I aim to have an "alright" travel story with some luck :wink:

I have flown with Sriwijaya several times and have not had any significant problem (knock on wood). Then again, any flight leaving Sorong airport has a risk of delay but is usually great with great disappointment (leaving R4 diving) and relief (getting out of that sucky airport).

Our flights out of Sorong have been around 1.5-2 hours late. Thankfully none of them were ever cancelled. The last time we were there I showed one of the agents at the door my boarding pass with the time stamped on it and he started laughing! Yikes! Drink plenty of water as it is QUITE hot and humid in there! If you happen to get stuck in Makassar then try to have them put you up at the Hotel Aryuduta. It was great! (Although it seemed like it was about an hour from the airport!) I agree with wanting to stay in Bali and having a massage! Now I am worried about our flight on Merapati to LBJ since it is scheduled on the day the boat leaves from LBJ. The boat arranged the flight so I am just going to have to go with the flow on this one! Good luck on your decision!

Last edited:
J11 I hope your flight to LBJ goes ok!!

So the million $ question here is that all of you with delayed flights out of Sorong when did they occur? Peak or Off Peak times? Im wondering if I book the Lion flight at 6am how will I fare?

I don't think it really matters( about the 6 am flight) unless you found out somehow that the plane was already there and ready to leave at 6. If it is coming in from somewhere then ????? One time we got a frantic wake up call at around 4 in the morning in Maumere saying our flight was leaving at 8 am. We all raced to pack up, weigh luggage and get to the airport only to wait for hours and no plane. The boat agent finally came back to the airport telling us they had cancelled that flight and put us on another one. Sigh!!! I think we ended up leaving at around 1 pm. I still made my connecting flight to the US that night out of Bali with time to spare! I admit I was a bit stressed. The joys of domestic Indonesian travel! I must say that we have taken the Lion Air flight out of Jakarta that leaves at 1 am for Ambon 2x and it was spot on time both times! We were diving in Ambon by 8:30 the next morning on both of those trips! Our Express air flights out of Bali have been on time as well. Nothing has been on time out of Sorong! Hence the name ( among other reasons) So Wrong airport!
J11 I hope your flight to LBJ goes ok!! I will have to start praying now for our Merapati flight!It has already been paid for months ago!

So the million $ question here is that all of you with delayed flights out of Sorong when did they occur? Peak or Off Peak times? Im wondering if I book the Lion flight at 6am how will I fare?

---------- Post added ----------

One other point.. we have never been charged on Lion Air for excess baggage fees but we have been charged on every Express air flight. Of course, you never know what will happen with the extra fees!

This is my guess. The delays depend on where the aircraft is assigned to go to that day. So delays earlier in the day in prior cities will add up. Plus, usually the scheduling is such that there is usually only around an hour between when the aircraft is supposed to arrive and when it is scheduled to depart again, so there is not much margin for error. So I'd say earlier in the day is better in general, but no guarantees.

I took Sriwijaya SOQ-UPG. Originally booked with Merpati, but decided I didn't want to wait for hours in the sweltering Sorong airport (no AC!), so I bought my Sriwijaya ticket at the airport. No problems, it was on time, and a small meal was distributed in flight.

Want to add something regarding legroom. I haven't flown Express, so I cannot compare directly, but your legroom on Lion Air to Denpasar probably won't be that much better, even though the aircraft (Boeing 737-900ER) is relatively new. Among the airlines I've flown with in Indonesia, I'd say that Lion Air has the most uncomfortable seat.

I haven't flown Express, so I cannot compare directly, but your legroom on Lion Air to Denpasar probably won't be that much better, even though the aircraft (Boeing 737-900ER) is relatively new. Among the airlines I've flown with in Indonesia, I'd say that Lion Air has the most uncomfortable seat.

Never had seat pitch as tight on any other airline anywhere in the world, including other domestic Indonesian airlines.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom