Flights out of Sorong

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Never had seat pitch as tight on any other airline anywhere in the world, including other domestic Indonesian airlines.

Totally agree with this it was the absolute worst ever.

Well really think about it the seat pitches were really made for smaller stature indonesians Im not sure whether you guys are of larger stature but it certainly doesnt help if thats so. Ive never had any major issues with domestic flight seats on Lion Air, being 5"8 admittedly they are a lot tighter than Australian standards. Certainly if you were taller than me you would have issues. Well Im going to try to overnight at the hotel across from the Airport? (JE Meridien?) Maybe if its close enough walking distance I might wonder into the terminal earlyish and check the actual departure time with the counter - then perhaps check out of the hotel when I know whether theres a delay or not, if there is I might just hang out in my room a little longer that morning :wink:

Maybe one could get more legroom on Express by upgrading to first class. :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Lion Air 737-900 by far has the tightest seat pitch I've ever experienced. It's super tight even for Indonesians, you could see thier discomfort. For just a few dollars more, you can upgrade to business class. Lion Air did offer many of the exit row seats to non-indo;s.

Well really think about it the seat pitches were really made for smaller stature indonesians Im not sure whether you guys are of larger stature but it certainly doesnt help if thats so. Ive never had any major issues with domestic flight seats on Lion Air, being 5"8 admittedly they are a lot tighter than Australian standards. Certainly if you were taller than me you would have issues. Well Im going to try to overnight at the hotel across from the Airport? (JE Meridien?) Maybe if its close enough walking distance I might wonder into the terminal earlyish and check the actual departure time with the counter - then perhaps check out of the hotel when I know whether theres a delay or not, if there is I might just hang out in my room a little longer that morning :wink:

I'm 5'9" and 165 lbs not large by any means and I found the Express Air seats almost unbearable. You might be okay but I've flown Lion Air before and the leg room was a pleasure compared to Express. Try and get the 2nd row in Express and you will be okay.

Maybe one could get more legroom on Express by upgrading to first class. :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Pardon my facetiousness in posting the above remark ... the point was that, at least in my experience, there has never been anything but one class of seat in or out of Sorong. Maybe we were just on the wrong airlines/flights.

Pardon my facetiousness in posting the above remark ... the point was that, at least in my experience, there has never been anything but one class of seat in or out of Sorong. Maybe we were just on the wrong airlines/flights.

As someone above said. row 2 has loads of leg room (I was seated in row 2 to and from Sorong). It's becuase row 1 is 1st class. 2x2 seating vs 3x3 in cattle class. Indonesian dignitaries were seated in row 1, and given the parade upon disembarking. Don't know if they sell this row or if reserved.

Express Air now has three 737's. Only one has the seat pitch appropriate for double amputees. Two have fairly standard seat pitch, even better that Lion Air.

Express has always been more reliable than Merpati. I've flown Merpati, but now would do all I could to avoid them.

Our most recent trip had us using Sriwajaya rather than Express leaving Sorong even though we came in on Express. We've never had a luggage problem on Express. I'm surprised to hear gear didn't make it. Usually someone from the boat hawks the bag cart to make sure it gets on, especially after paying a fortune in excess baggage fees. The most likely flight for gear not to go is the Lion/Wings flight via Manado as the plane is not as big.

Express Air now has three 737's. Only one has the seat pitch appropriate for double amputees. Two have fairly standard seat pitch, even better that Lion Air.

:confused: Makes me wonder why Express would leave the tight seat pitch on one aircraft. The seats are only there by choice ... a mechanic with a wrench and a few hours can move them to an acceptable pitch, like their other aircraft (which I apparently have not been aboard).

:confused: Makes me wonder why Express would leave the tight seat pitch on one aircraft. The seats are only there by choice ... a mechanic with a wrench and a few hours can move them to an acceptable pitch, like their other aircraft (which I apparently have not been aboard).

I'm sure it is by design. We joked that we were in row 73 on a 737. They have switched planes several times and have parked one as recently as March 2012, which may be the tight fitting one. The planes are almost 30 years old and have been passed around a few times, mostly used as cargo jets. You can get the complete history of any jet by getting the tale number.

I'm not a nervous flier, but Merpati scares the bajesus out of me. Besides their lousy track record and accusations of corruption and poor financial condition, their planes are also long-in-the-tooth, except for those new Chinese jets with cracked tails. At some point bail-out money will dry up and they will disappear.

Back
Top Bottom