Florida Dive Spots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wreck of the Regina AKA The Sugar Barge
Dive Spot: Bradenton Beach, FL

Type of diving: Shore dive

Directions: Mapquest Map
I-75 exit 220 - SR-64 West to Bradenton. SR-64 becomes Manatee Avenue.
Continue West on Manatee Avenue/SR-64 all the way through Bradenton toward Anna Maria Island/Holmes Beach.
Once you've gotten onto Anna Maria Island (you will pass Kingfish Boat Ramp located on the North side of Manatee Avenue), turn LEFT onto East Bay Drive, heading South approximately 2 miles.
Look for the Gulf Drive Cafe on the West side of Gulf Drive - there is a white buoy off the beach just south of the restaurant marking the main section of the wreck.

What to expect at the dive site: The partially buried remains of Regina sit in about 20 feet of water. The wreckage is situated approximately 75 yards off Bradenton Beach at coordinates 27° 28.135' N latitude and 82° 42.129' W longitude. The bow of Regina is pointed north and the wreck lies roughly on a north/south axis parallel with the shoreline. On my last dive there, I saw lots of baitfish, some Stone Crabs, and a couple Grouper & Cobia. Jew Fish have been spotted by previous divers. DON'T FORGET YOUR DIVE FLAG!!! Also, lots of small stingrays in the shallows, so make sure you shuffle your feet when entering the water.

Where to park: If you want to grab something to eat before you dive, you can park in the Gulf Drive Cafe parking lot, but make sure you let them know you're going to dive when you finish eating, as they will tow. Otherwise, park across the street at Seatrek Divers Dive Shop - 105 7th Street North; Bradenton Beach, FL 34217; (941) 779-1506

Amenities: Typical dive shop - rental gear & air fills, but I'm not sure if they have Nitrox (which isn't necessary for the dive.) Very nice people - ask for Lorraine.

Pros and Cons: Great dive for newbs, as depths are no greater than 20'. Easy swim from beach to site - little, if any current. Visibility is rarely better than 15', but the price is right!

Most recent date visited: August 2004

Type of Diving: Shore Dive

Overview: This dive site is excellent for those who love an easy dive and a not-so-crowded dive site.

Directions to site: I-95 to the Atlantic Blvd. Exit; go east across the intracostal bridge to Ocean Drive (a.k.a. A1A), then head south to SE 12th st. (look for the signs of the Fairfield Condominimum and the Best Western Beach Comber hotel); go east to the end of the street.

Parking: There are four (4) parking meters at the site (quarters only), $1.00 per hr. It's best to, especially on the weekends, be there between 7:30 to 8:00 a.m. as the meteres will be occupied if not there by then. If the meters are occupied, there are two benches on the other side of the meters; you can set up and get into your wetsuit (highly recommended as there are numerous areas of fire coral), and then go and park your car on the grass lot to the south of the shopping strip at the intersection of SE 12th St. and A1A, which is free. DO NOT PARK AT THE SHOPPING STRIP OR ON THE GUEST PARKING SPOTS OF THE CONDOMINIUMS; YOUR CAR WILL BE TOWED.

The diving: As in LBTS, this is a two tier reef, only that the first tier is much closer to shore, and a bit more varied in its topography. Do as best of a current assesment as you can and plan the dive accordingly. There is usually a gentle (.5 knot) north current there, but it can revert to a south current. The surface swim is about 75' to the buoy. My suggestion is to swim on your back to about 10 - 20' past the buoy; you should see the first part of the reef underneath you. The reef starts out patchy, but as you head east it opens up into a nice, healthy reef, with lots and lots of marine life. The reef is very nice if you start out going south, but it's even nicer if you start out going north. Keep the current in mind though. Bring your camera as this is a macro paradise with lots of juvenile damsels, blennys, neon gobys, wrasses, etc., as well as lots of fan and christmas tree worms and other criters. On occassion, a turtle might just come up and say hi, and I've seen two blue ring octopusses there (very highly poisonous). Max depth, between 20 - 25' depending on whether you make it east of the second tier. The dive is excellent for newly certified divers, as well as those who love a good shore dive. An excellent spot for night diving.

Amenities: There are two benches where you can sit and set up comfortably, and there is one shower. The beach is not usually crowded, and the walk from the benches to the ocean is no more than the surface swim. There are no restrooms or changing areas though. There are two dive shops within a 5 minute drive from the site; South Florida Diving Headquarters (just east of the bridge and 50' north of Atlantic Blvd.) and Force E, which is about 1/8 of a mile west of the bridge. Both of them can fill nitrox. Also, Fill Express is on Dixie Hwy (about 3 miles west and 1 mile north of Atlantic Blvd.) Plenty of places where to get something to eat, and a Bank of America ATM just south of Atlantic Blvd.

Pros & cons: The reef is healthy, close to shore, the beach is not crowded, and the walk to the shore is short. However, the parking is the biggest drawback, as there are only 4 meters. This is also an unattended beach, but a nice place to make it a day at the beach as well as a day of diving.

Most recently visited: August 26, 2004 (twilight dive)

Rainbow River

Description:
Rainbow River is know for its pristine beauty and natural conditions. Disposable items and fishing, and are not allowed on the river so that it remains in a near natural state. The county park has a $2 fee for use of facilities (launch ramp, changing room, beach) and a $3 per hour canoe rental fee. The park can be reached at 352-489-3055. We usually take our own canoes and paddle a mile upriver and then drift back with the current. Classes usually go upriver a few hundred yards past the state park to a 20 foot depression for their skill check outs. There are numerous small smurf-sized caverns, boils, and popcorn springs along the way. There are several different kinds of fresh water fish such as bass, brim, and gar that live in the waters. Diving is not allowed in the headsprings, but I have yet swim there to see if there is any discernable cave. There are a few small caverns in the river area, but with penetration limited to about 10 feet.
Rainbow River is located just north of Dunnellon. From Tampa, take I-75 north to exit 67 (SR 484). Head west until you get to the town to Dunellon (you'll cross Rainbow river just before town limits). Head north on Hwy 41 (right) for 2-3 miles until you get to the Winn Dixie Shopping Center on the right. Take a right on the first street immediately past the center and travel for 2 miles until you reach the railroad tracks. Immediately past the tracks take a left onto the frontage road and travel .5 miles to KP Hole County Park.

http://www.funandsun.com/parks/RainbowSprings/rainbowsprings.html

and more.....

http://www.floridacaves.com/

Pepper Park --- US 1 to North bridge Causeway. North on A1A to UDT Seal Museum. Park by the Bathrooms/Showers. Swim Out aprox 200 yards to the 5' ledges. To be seen: Stingrays, Barracuda, Spadefish, Jacks, Eels, Turtles, 1.2 Billion Blenny's and Urchins. 250 million sea cucumbers. Spanish Gold Coins. If you see a Mortar Round DO NOT TOUCH! These are left over from the Navy Seal training Era and will cause Horrific Burns! Take a good compass reading on it and call for the Sheriff's Office EOD. Those crazy fools LIKE to play with that stuff!

Urca del Lima --- Just north (1000') of the Pepper Park dive site. Marked by four floating bouys. To see: Wooden planking from the ship. Several cannons, a huge anchor and ballast stones. Some misc iron rigging mostly corroded way. This is a PROTECTED ARCHAEOLOGICAL SITE taking anything from there is a Misdeameanor of the First Degree or a Felony of the Third degree (circumstances) that ballast stone is not worth it!

Boiler Wreck -- Vero Beach. Take CR 60 (Beachland Blvd) to the eastern end. Park by the Ocean Grill. Swim straight out from the north end of the ocean grill to the wreck. Many Tropicals and a big old rusty Boiler
marks the spot.

SECRET PLACES- - - I won't tell! You have to come with me when you get here! It will cost you a beer at the Ale house- - :eyebrow:

y'all could always try dixiedivers.com for a whole listing of all and the best south florida wrecks and reefs with maps and descriptions and pictures for most as well as coordinates for the wrecks
they also run charters on their boats
with the exception of a few, i have done all my diving with these guys and i caint complain!
-Ron

Crystal River: 80 miles north of Tampa try King Spring a fresh water 50' dive into the mouth of a large cavern in the morning, Three Sisters Spring in the afternoon and have lunch at Caribean Cravings Or Crackers, Then you can dive CatFish Corner Spring,or manatee dive or mabee you feel like getting salty there is several man made reefs, sunken boats, and other points of interest just to the west. For good Info contact American Pro Dive at 1-800-291-DIVE they are 5 star PADI ,and probably the best dive shop in the area they have execelent DM's

Scubaguy62:
Type of Diving: Shore Dive

Overview: This dive site is excellent for those who love an easy dive and a not-so-crowded dive site.

Directions to site: I-95 to the Atlantic Blvd. Exit; go east across the intracostal bridge to Ocean Drive (a.k.a. A1A), then head south to SE 12th st. (look for the signs of the Fairfield Condominimum and the Best Western Beach Comber hotel); go east to the end of the street.

Parking: There are four (4) parking meters at the site (quarters only), $1.00 per hr. It's best to, especially on the weekends, be there between 7:30 to 8:00 a.m. as the meteres will be occupied if not there by then. If the meters are occupied, there are two benches on the other side of the meters; you can set up and get into your wetsuit (highly recommended as there are numerous areas of fire coral), and then go and park your car on the grass lot to the south of the shopping strip at the intersection of SE 12th St. and A1A, which is free. DO NOT PARK AT THE SHOPPING STRIP OR ON THE GUEST PARKING SPOTS OF THE CONDOMINIUMS; YOUR CAR WILL BE TOWED.

The diving: As in LBTS, this is a two tier reef, only that the first tier is much closer to shore, and a bit more varied in its topography. Do as best of a current assesment as you can and plan the dive accordingly. There is usually a gentle (.5 knot) north current there, but it can revert to a south current. The surface swim is about 75' to the buoy. My suggestion is to swim on your back to about 10 - 20' past the buoy; you should see the first part of the reef underneath you. The reef starts out patchy, but as you head east it opens up into a nice, healthy reef, with lots and lots of marine life. The reef is very nice if you start out going south, but it's even nicer if you start out going north. Keep the current in mind though. Bring your camera as this is a macro paradise with lots of juvenile damsels, blennys, neon gobys, wrasses, etc., as well as lots of fan and christmas tree worms and other criters. On occassion, a turtle might just come up and say hi, and I've seen two blue ring octopusses there (very highly poisonous). Max depth, between 20 - 25' depending on whether you make it east of the second tier. The dive is excellent for newly certified divers, as well as those who love a good shore dive. An excellent spot for night diving.

Amenities: There are two benches where you can sit and set up comfortably, and there is one shower. The beach is not usually crowded, and the walk from the benches to the ocean is no more than the surface swim. There are no restrooms or changing areas though. There are two dive shops within a 5 minute drive from the site; South Florida Diving Headquarters (just east of the bridge and 50' north of Atlantic Blvd.) and Force E, which is about 1/8 of a mile west of the bridge. Both of them can fill nitrox. Also, Fill Express is on Dixie Hwy (about 3 miles west and 1 mile north of Atlantic Blvd.) Plenty of places where to get something to eat, and a Bank of America ATM just south of Atlantic Blvd.

Pros & cons: The reef is healthy, close to shore, the beach is not crowded, and the walk to the shore is short. However, the parking is the biggest drawback, as there are only 4 meters. This is also an unattended beach, but a nice place to make it a day at the beach as well as a day of diving.

Most recently visited: August 26, 2004 (twilight dive)

UPDATE, PLEASE READ

As of June 2005, The grass lot south of the shopping strip has become property of the beachcomber hotel. If you park there your car will be towed. There is parking on 13th street, west of A1A, which is free, with no time limit.

I saw that people were a little unclear where they could launch a boat in Venice and thought that I'd provide a few locations to help out.

The closest to Venice Beach by way of water would actually be the small boat ramp at north jetty. It's actually considered to be Nokomis, but if you launch there you just have to exit the pass and turn south to get to Venice. Be warned that the ramp is very small and not really paved so it's probably only good for smaller boats.

If you are on the island there is a boat ramp on the way to south jetty, it's at the yacht club and is open to the public. From there it is a fairly short trip around to the pass and out to the gulf.

If you are right off of the island there is a ramp and the linear park which is right off of the east bridge. Off of the the north bridge, there is a ramp beside Florida West scuba. Off of the south bridge there are a few ramps in south Venice, but I would recommend against them because you will have a long trip up the intercoastal.

That should help out a little for now, if you have any more questions about a place to launch in or near Venice let me know.

WEEKI WACHEE SPRINGS

Location Central Florida West

Why? MERMAIDS!!!!!!!!!!

This dive should be in every divers log book
Crystal Clear and 74 degrees year round

More information can be found at www.diveweeki.com

Weeki Wachee Springs
Long:82.575319°W mins
Lat:29°N mins
Travel time: From Orlando 1.5 hours From Tampa 1 hour
Ease of Dive: 5 Stars
Dive type: First Magnatude Spring Dive
Description: Weeki Wachee Springs is one of the only First Magnitude Springs (170 million gallons a day) in the World. Many marine animals make their home at the springs including species found only in this unique ecosystem! Underwater programs are available for certified and non-certified divers alike. Fun for the entire family! The spring head has a max depth of 50' and is known for its stunning geolological feature--the Canyon! Two huge limestone walls ascend to the surface This is one location you don't want to miss--open year round just 60 minutes from Orlando, Florida. Lets Dive!

Weeki Wachee is a Seminole Indian word meaning "winding river". The Weeki Wachee River flows 12 miles through prisitne wilderness and empties into the gulf of Mexico. The actual spring is a surfacing point of an underground river: it measures 150 ft wide and 250 ft long and pumps an astounding 210 million gallons of water every day! The year round water temperature is a perfect 74.2 degrees. The spring is hosts a wide variety of animals including the endangered manatee.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom