Florida Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Intro to Cave is not like a "Discovery" type of class it is a acctual certification. No one that I know of does that sort of thing, some I suppose might do a discover cavern as there are several caverns you can dive with an open water certifications Ginnie Springs "the Ballroom", Blue Grotto etc...

Where you going is packed with great saltwater diving unless you want to drive the 5 or 6 hours north I'd have to say your already in the spot to enjoy some great drift dives and wrecks!
Help with my travel and I will be more than happy to be your personal guide [24 hr notice required,ok 12]
Have fun and try to experience south fla. diving from key west to west palm as much as you can.

Intro to Cave is not like a "Discovery" type of class it is a acctual certification. No one that I know of does that sort of thing, some I suppose might do a discover cavern as there are several caverns you can dive with an open water certifications Ginnie Springs "the Ballroom", Blue Grotto etc...

If you're Hell-bent on experiencing a spring (NOT a cave), that is the way to go. However, IMHO I would definitely spend your diving "day" at a nice wreck or reef off of the East Coast. It's not worth the extra drive to do the Ballroom or "dive" the springs. When you have 3 or 4 days, go to N. Florida and enroll in an "Intro to Cave" course. Have a great trip!

Most cavern classes require 2 days of diving/classroom, and that will not leave much for fun diving. If you REALLY want to get in fresh water, there are plenty of opportunities in Northern Central Florida, but if you want to get in GREAT diving and not drive as far, pick your poison: Jupiter, West Palm, Boynton, Ft. Lauderdale, etc.

Again, please don't recommend going into an overhead environment to non-trained divers. Just because certain locations "allow" OW divers in overhead environments does not mean it is safe. Divers have died in those locations. If you want to dive overheads, get the training. Even if you discover it's not for you, the training can be applied to all kinds of environments including OW.

Again, please don't recommend going into an overhead environment to non-trained divers. Just because certain locations "allow" OW divers in overhead environments does not mean it is safe. Divers have died in those locations. If you want to dive overheads, get the training. Even if you discover it's not for you, the training can be applied to all kinds of environments including OW.

I'll second that. As I've said in other posts and to the folks at some of these "safe" caverns, the dive shop/land owner/dive briefer are NOT certification agencies and do not have the authority to grant divers permission to go beyond the level of their training.

Check out Jupiter Dive Center. Randy runs some great reef trips
The Hole in the Wall dive is awesome

As a recently certified cavern diver, I agree with the previous posts. Don't do ANY overhead diving without some training.

On that note, if you decide to take Cavern Diver training, I highly suggest Dan Patterson. He is an awesome trainer with Navy Diver as his background. The link is below. Any of the cavern / cave dives will be awesome. The vis is usually great, and the sites are awesome.

Good luck!

Home Page

Paul

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom