Flow irregularities at Bozel Springs Group

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Springwise

Reaction score
My buddy and I have visited Bozel Springs on the Chipola river in Marianna, Fla several times over the last year and a half. Recently, after a prolonged drought, we made our way upstream on the Chipola to find a most vexing situation. As we approached, we noticed the riverside spring across from the main spring run blasting an unusual amount of the cracklin blue water we remember so fondly. The small, usually covered spring just adjacent to the spring run was also uncharacteristiically clear. We assumed this was all due to the lack of river water in the Chiploa, which was low. As we approach the entrance at the terminus of the run we noticed how little flow there was. Deciding not to don the gear and walk it !00 yards in doubles without a peek at the rest of the system we made our way to the "top" spring. Brown. Stagnant. Nasty. An unknown large fish/gator/Bozel catfish ominously broke the luminescent sheen on the disgusting commode that was our beloved Bozel. Ewww.
Now I understand a spring being covered, even reversing, but why would Bozel 1 be dead, while 30 ft away Bozel 2 was pumping. Low, but pumping. We distinctly did not get the impression that there was any flow occuring under the layer of pooh, and as Bozel divers know, this spring basin is like a strainer as the water is pushed out about 10 different holes (only one of which leads under the land bridge to Bozel 2). So what gives? Has anyone else been here when this has happened? My theory is that the flow seen in Bozel 2 is actually artifact of what would normally be downstream, through too small fissure, backflowing up to Bozel 2 and creating the little discharge that was evident. I say this only because, inexplicably, the normally downstream vents are seemingly flowing at an increased rate. This was observed about mid-July. If anyone has been there after that please let me know what you saw. ty

Welcome to ScubaBoard Springwise.

I cannot answer your question, but have a couple for you :/ Hope you don't mind.

I've been eyeing Bozel Springs for awhile. How is the cavern sections of the springs in that group that are large enough to access on backmount? How restrictive is the cave itself? I have the Bozel video thats sold at Cave Adventures and it looks like quite a bit of it is sidemount only. How far can you go back with backmount?

The only ones in the group I know of that are divable are the one at the head of the spring run into the Chipola (I call it Bozel 2), and the larger one just "upstream" from it nearer the cottage (I call Bozel 1).. My buddy and I have been through all the entrances on backmount, perhaps cheating through what I have heard called the "back door" entrance into the main upstream passage from Bozel 1 to get around one section that is quite tight. The entrance at the head of the spring run is basically a fissure about 2-4 ft wide with a big boulder precariously perched atop it. Swimming under it the line begins and heads into a sloping chamber at about 50 ft depth. I suppose this is the "cavern", but it sure ain't Jackson blue. Interesting fossils in wall etc. At the far end of the room, the line abruptly turn up 90 degrees then back horizontal into a wide low squeeze. If you turned here, surfaced and dove from Bozel 1 you could pick up very close w/o risking the restriction on backmount.
Bozel 1 is a very neat dive I think, and the numerous entrances and skylights make it kind of unique. We like the one which looks like a rabbit hole, trending towards the cottage. You can drop in to a fissure maze, tie in and head upstream, dropping trough a breakdown block into a HUGE room with a room sized triangular breakdown block. The line drops to about 110 at an awesome white wall and large ovoid passage trending up. Beyond that, I cannot say. You have the video as do I, which is killer. It doesn't show the entrance spring from above though.
My buddy noticed on a recent dive that there had been a collape in the first room and the line appeared to run UNDER the fresh breakdown. There is an obvious small sink between the two springs which may be affected by the drought. Who knows.

I've been Bozell many times,and I am unsure of what you are calling Bozel "1" and "2".

There is a cave in South Georgia that has two distinct spring entrances that are seperated by 1' of limestone,and they have two different water sources. This may be what is occuring,but I doubt it. Bill Huth does some research work in this area and would be a good person to pose your question to. He is the science chair for the NSS-CDS,and his contact information is there.

Thanks Karstdvr, I will drop him a line. I was calling the cave where the line goes deep upstream Bozel 1. I don't want to confuse the proper name though, so I should admit the designation is just to get readers on the same page about which one I am refering to (which it apparently didn't). Sure is confusing with 7 springs all called Bozel though. I appreciate your input, and it sure could be a different source. Its just that under normal flow, as you exit the fissure, it seems to continue as too small passage trending towads the others in the group. So I always pictured a fissure maze level (like pottery cave (dry) in the park) some too small, but none the less connected.

SuPrBuGmAn:
I've been eyeing Bozel Springs for awhile. How is the cavern sections of the springs in that group that are large enough to access on backmount? How restrictive is the cave itself? I have the Bozel video thats sold at Cave Adventures and it looks like quite a bit of it is sidemount only. How far can you go back with backmount?

Back mount can be tough on this cave

Back mount can be tough on this cave

Good point! If conservation of the environment is important, and it should be at the top of your list, Bozel should be a sidemount only cave. It should in my opinion, be considered an advanced cave dive. I tried it in backmount with argon bottle. I got in but, had to remove gear to get out. Until lots of experience is gained in the more easily accessible caves, Bozel should be forgotten.
Just my 2 cents!
Bless,
Kenny P.

Understood! Plenty more to keep me busy till I'm ready for that particular spring group!

If one omitted the initial entrance and entered through the alternate acess in the second spring Bozel would clearly not be sidemount only to be an enjoyable dive. A diver can fin in and out this way without danger to the cave. Why the line wasn't run here to begin with probably has more to do with efforts to protect the line from fisherman than neccessity as a short swim through open water affords easy access to backmount divers into the main fissure leading to the first large room. It is actually one of more memorable dives I've ever made. And I suppose if people don't go well... can't hurt the vis. But in my view, anyone who has done Peanut tunnel can handle the "crawls" section of Bozel.

But in my view, anyone who has done Peanut tunnel can handle the "crawls" section of Bozel.

But have you seen what the Peanut tunnel looks like,unfortunately quite a few people have a problem with this tunnel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom