Flow irregularities at Bozel Springs Group

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now I understand a spring being covered, even reversing, but why would Bozel 1 be dead, while 30 ft away Bozel 2 was pumping. Low, but pumping. We distinctly did not get the impression that there was any flow occuring under the layer of pooh, and as Bozel divers know, this spring basin is like a strainer as the water is pushed out about 10 different holes (only one of which leads under the land bridge to Bozel 2). So what gives? Has anyone else been here when this has happened? My theory is that the flow seen in Bozel 2 is actually artifact of what would normally be downstream, through too small fissure, backflowing up to Bozel 2 and creating the little discharge that was evident. I say this only because, inexplicably, the normally downstream vents are seemingly flowing at an increased rate. This was observed about mid-July. If anyone has been there after that please let me know what you saw. ty

Another possibility is that a cave-in or slide has blocked a passage feeding "Bozel 1", and the flow has been re-routed to the other springs. Especially since you noticed a collapse in one location, and droughts are more likely to cause cave-ins.

Karstdiver:
Yes I agree, but lots and lots of divers dive peanut tunnel. If we used that standard for every cave with a tight section or deep section, sites would be off limits to all but the "chosen" few. I compared it to a very popular cave with cave divers so people could understand who have not been there that it is not a sidemount only cave, at all.
This type of reasoning gets places like Emerald posted off limits to the vast majority of divers because of why? Depth? Someone could swim into the cave? I believe there are open caves in peacock and elsewhere where depth beyond 130 is available to the diver.
Come to think of it, if you want to define a cave as being sidemount only based on line position well then almost every cave I know of could be made "sidemount only" simply by running the line where backmount divers would "damage the cave" if they followed it. This is exactly the case in Bozel. I certainly mean no disrespect, but I just think scaring people away from legitimate dive sites is counterproductive to the sport.
Anyone who makes the pilgrimage to Bozel realizes that it's remoteness is it's greatest danger. I have confidence in trained divers' ability to judge for themselves the prudence of a given dive. Most people in general would think we were crazy for diving into a cave period. Many of us who do, don't mind the tight spaces, low vis, etc that comes with the sport. Please give us regular "Joes" credit.

T Dog
Yeah its possible, but if you dive Bozel you'll see that there are probably ten entrances to the main spring. If there was a cave in anywhere I have been in there it would be like plugging one hole of a collender; water would go around. But I see what you mean, it is perplexing thanks

No intended offense. My issue is that sometimes cave divers (not all cave divers) will push a marginal passage that is more appropriate for sidemount,and will cause a little damage. Now advertise that passage on the internet,and then the damage is exponential because of the amount of traffic in that gear configuration. A perfect example of this is a tunnel in Devil's-it is very small,and has always been a sidemount tunnel,but there has been so much damage that I could go through the tunnel with a Buick on my back. People will wipe away the limestone on their doubles without thinking how it got there,and analyzing where it came from during the dive,and what could be done to prevent it from happening again. Ironically you mention the state of Florida closing caves,but one of the questions that is being asked by the state of Florida is what damage is occuring to the caves, from some of the work I do for them. Historically in any state park if too much wear and tear is observed,then they limit access by the public,so we as the cave diving community need to make conservation issues #1

Well said Karstdvr. I can understand your point. Certainly don't want to come off as someone who doesn't care about the caves. Thanks for your responses.

Well said Karstdvr. I can understand your point. Certainly don't want to come off as someone who doesn't care about the caves. Thanks for your responses.

I think you make some good points and you show concern. I agree that most people will find Bosell difficult to go to,and will do it just once,kind of like Jug Hole. Good diving

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom