Forgot to set computer nitrox mix, what a PIA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2. If you are going to disregard the computers suggestions, why even own one?
sounds like you are doing "trust me" dives of the worst kind....
you appear to have done 2 random profiles that are "similar" to some dives you have done before.

Nope, I monitored depth and bottom time.

So what is the problem with an experienced diver using depth and bottom time to plan a dive?

2. If you are going to disregard the computers suggestions, why even own one?
sounds like you are doing "trust me" dives of the worst kind....
you appear to have done 2 random profiles that are "similar" to some dives you have done before.

I assume that is in response to the OP and not me.

Nope, I monitored depth and bottom time.

With what as a reference? Did you revert to running tables? From what you stated, you piggybacked the DM and followed his profile with no clue as to what YOUR NDL was.

So what is the problem with an experienced diver using depth and bottom time to plan a dive?

Define experienced...and define planned a dive while you are at it.

Sometimes, a simple design solution could make it easier to catch that mistake. I recently got the Aeris A300 CS computer, and thought one rather easy change could help here: right now, it displays a generic "gas 1", "gas 2", etc. above the tank pressure on the main screen. To see what mix you have associated with "gas 1" you have to go to a different screen. I thought it would be much better to display "32%" instead of the generic "gas1", or perhaps both, as "1: 32%" or such. That way it's much more likely that one would catch a mistake in setting the gas mix when checking the pressure right before splashing. I suggested as much to Aeris; I hope they'll do this with the next firmware revision.

Part of my frustration stems from the fact that I'm a software developer. I understand the difficulties of implementing a feature with a limited input interface, but being locked out was frustrating.
The interface isn't the problem, it's just not what a dive computer is designed to do. It's not an issue to recalculate N2 loading based on a particular profile with an arbitrary nitrox mix (there's plenty of desktop software which does that), but a dive computer is supposed to track your N2 loading in real time, not after the fact.

Define experienced
MrChen diving in WPB
...and define planned a dive while you are at it.
Unknown.jpeg

Thanks. I didn't really have a deco obligation based on the profile and my nitrox mix. It was frustrating and disappointing to be locked out. Thanks for the no fly info. And I won't forget again, at least I hope not :)
But the computer didnt know that..
Ive never locked my computer out, but I have had it die. Guess what I did? I finished the dive, using my dive computer which has depth and time on it and finished the dive. Yes, it happened to be a profile similar to my buddy who used a computer and a profile similar to what Ive done before with a computer, but how the hell does that make the profile any more unsafe. Its still well within the NDLs for a multilevel dive so whats the BFD?
Shame on me for diving the way it was once taught - by the use brain method!

...//... I've dove this profile many times, so I didn't freak out when I looked at my computer 25 minutes in and it said I had a deco obligation. I typically call the dive around 45-50 minutes, but opted to call the dive early (37 min) when I saw some other divers shooting their SMB. I ended the dive with 1200 psi.

Chris, You looked at your computer and realized that you made a mistake in how you set up the dive. So your response to that situation was to ignore the computer.

...//... On the SI, I was shocked that my computer completely locked me out. It wouldn't let me adjust anything that had to do with diving. So now it's going to just be a depth gauge and bottom timer on the 2nd dive.

When your computer realized that you were ignoring it, it ignored you. Fair is fair.

...//... Anyways, back to the topic on hand, why does the computer lock you out?

Because NDL divers are not expected to know what to do in 'real' deco. Your computer will take you home from light deco.

...//...Why am I not able to fix the nitrox mix setting? Is it that users of the computers can't be trusted? That would be ridiculous. ...//...

Well you can't be trusted to follow training. Don't get me wrong, I like you, but your computer made a good call.

...//... My advice... Quit being a typical Male... and RTFM! :D ;D

Hey, that includes me!!! (She was being nice to you, pulled her punch...)

...//... For them to tell me to sit would be nuts and would be the last time I dove their boat. ...//...

Nope, that is exactly the kind of dive op you look for.

...//... I have to ask.....

1. Forgetting to set the computer to Eanx happens..I get it. But why would you not just stay under and clear the deco?

I'm guessing that he blew off the computer so badly it wouldn't clear.

Not too long ago, I made a post about my dive where I dove without a computer (the battery died) so I looked at my sons computer. I knew the maximum depth and had done the dive many times before and had a timing device. The thread got locked and i got banned for 90 days for what was determined to be promoting unsafe dive practices... I hope the OP doesn't suffer the same punishment..

Oooh. Damn. Yes, exactly same mindset. You "know" the dive is safe so you can blow off the 'complications' and continue. The only difference is the experience of the two divers.

:popcorn:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom