Forgot to set computer nitrox mix, what a PIA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But the computer didnt know that..
Ive never locked my computer out, but I have had it die. Guess what I did? I finished the dive, using my dive computer which has depth and time on it and finished the dive. Yes, it happened to be a profile similar to my buddy who used a computer and a profile similar to what Ive done before with a computer, but how the hell does that make the profile any more unsafe. Its still well within the NDLs for a multilevel dive so whats the BFD?
Ah, but how did YOU know that? Because your buddy's computer said so? Because you've done something similar before and it was fine? Or did you do the calculations off the tables in your head? Or maybe it was just a wild ass guess?

Ah, but how did YOU know that? Because your buddy's computer said so? Because you've done something similar before and it was fine? Or did you do the calculations off the tables in your head? Or maybe it was just a wild ass guess?
A combination of all of the above except i didn't give a rats ass about my buddys computer - which woulda been much more conservative than my profile anyways seeing as my buddy was on air and I was on 32% and I hadn't done "something similar" before but the exact same dive - a couple of dozen times...

EDIT: Not that it even matters as the profile is the same one wether you do it by memory, by on the fly calculations or by your computer. Who and when calculates it doesnt make any given profile more or less safe..

Where did mr Chen remotely indicate that he reverted to tables?
Most of the dive boats that I have been on in WPB have them taped to the inside of the boat. I don't recall him saying he didn't reference a table.

A combination of all of the above except i didn't give a rats ass about my buddys computer - which woulda been much more conservative than my profile anyways seeing as my buddy was on air and I was on 32% and I hadn't done "something similar" before but the exact same dive - a couple of dozen times...

EDIT: Not that it even matters as the profile is the same one wether you do it by memory, by on the fly calculations or by your computer. Who and when calculates it doesnt make any given profile more or less safe..
Quite correct, the important part is that the calculations are done. "I did this dive before and it was fine" is not calculating anything.

Read the manual.

On both my computers, they will hold an initial setting for x minutes and then revert to 21%. Not sure how long it is but it is definitely shorter than the boat ride out. So I set the computers when we get to dive site. Once set on a mix they will hold it for all subsequent dives.

Similar profiles are not the same profile. Do you always hold each level of a multilevel dive for the same amount of time?
Was your SI the same on all dives?

I am not saying that one has to have a computer. But using a table or doing a dive that is well within NDL by experience is ok, but your explanation of what you did suggested that things might be looser than that.

Tigerman, the point is that proper planning prevents piss poor performance. Calculating the dive after the fact is an unsafe practice..period.
Furthermore, mrchen blatantly stated that he had no visibility as to his NDL, which indicates he had no F-ing clue as to the accuracy or safety of his profile.
Regardless, coming on this board to complain about how annoying it is that a dive computer locks you out when you disregard it's profile, while advocating inherently unsafe practices is probably not the way to generate any positive feedback from this community.

Are you really suggesting that responsible computer users should all pay a little extra for a capability only irresponsible users might need?

Tigerman, the point is that proper planning prevents piss poor performance. Calculating the dive after the fact is an unsafe practice..period.
Furthermore, mrchen blatantly stated that he had no visibility as to his NDL, which indicates he had no F-ing clue as to the accuracy or safety of his profile.
Regardless, coming on this board to complain about how annoying it is that a dive computer locks you out when you disregard it's profile, while advocating inherently unsafe practices is probably not the way to generate any positive feedback from this community.
Ive never said complaining about the computer locking you out will get you anywhere anytime fast, but people here jump onto people for diving without a computer as if its a mortal sin. You dont need a computer, you can replan a dive on the fly and diving without a computer was how diving was taught only a few years ago.

Diving without a computer is not "inherently unsafe" regadless of wether the computer fail due to being set to wrong gas or due to being flooded. Without knowing a few things about the dive site and the diver you have no idea wether its "inherently unsafe" to do the dive even without a depth gauge and a timer.
at 10 meters you can stay for over 3,5 hours diving air and still be within your NDL.
No, its not by the book, but you'll drain your al80 long before 219 minutes has passed at 10 meters...

I had to Google RTFM to see what it meant. My dad always said "If all else fails read the directions".

I can set my Uwatec to stay at a default 31% and gas 2 at 100%. It will only change if I change the gas settings. It does have the capability of resetting both gases to 21% at midnight if that's what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom