Four dead in Sinai floods

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

that car was still there yesterday morning!

Old market was badly hit - I went to the chamber yesterday morning and it had been drained but was still very muddy. I've been up to Nabq today and there are still places on the way that are not drained but still passable. Streets in Hadaba are similarly still flooded.

There is no drainage here, so the problems occur in depressions in the road, at the bottom of hills (such as old market), etc. Sections of Peace Road in Naama bay are mucky but no longer flooded. The last time it rained like this was 2002 (not as severe) and before in 1996 when there was a similar storm. Drains are not built because rain like this does not happen here, but simple channels to drain the water into the sand would be easy and inexpensive to constrcuct.

A pretty major cleanup is in operation - if you purchased shares in Egyptian squeeges you'd be rich by now. Damage is, fortunately limited, although there have been some casualties in the region. As far as I know these were caused by mudslides or in dwellings that were not built to withstand such heavy conditions.

It was a pretty heavy storm - I would compare it in intensity to some of the typhoons and hurricanes I've witnessed in the East and also the Caribbean. It's so rare here that it probably doesn't even occur to the road builders to consider it. Many of the roads that are flooded did not even exist the last time it rained so much in 2002, and in 1996 there was only one real road!!

I work in the centre of Naama Bay and we got flooded and were without power for 24 hours so we had to cancel everything on the 18th (most of Naama bay was without power) but we were fully operational on the 19th and certainly back up to speed today. Most mobile networks went offline with the power so commuincation was somewhat restricted.

More rain was predicted but it seems unlikely in current conditions. On the plus side, there is zero sand in the air and the view of the Sinai mountains from sharm is clean, fresh, unclouded and spectacular.

The vis is pretty crappy in places, but Naama is pretty calm, no surge, and my dive there today was rather pleasant, with maybe 10m vis.

The incident has NOT been as frightening as reported in certain sections of the media, but it is rather the talk of the town at the moment. My friends and I were on the balcony watching the storm close in from the West over Travco harbour and Ras Katy - it was awesome!

For most people who are here (at least those I have met) the storm has almost been a bonus to their holiday: "I was there when the storm hit sharm!!" and in a way, it's sort of added to the charm of the place! (Haha)

As for Oonas bar - I know a few of the staff there; I think it would take more than a mere storm to shut their bar down! :)

Will post some pics tomorrow whe I drag them off my camera,

Cheers

C.

Some more pics from the storm in Sharm. I've been around a bit today and there are a few extra holes in some of the roads and a lot of the kerbs have been broken up by workmen to allow the water to drain away. The pics are of the Beach front at Naama bay (we are close to the centre), one of our flooded classrooms (the owners managed to get some sandbags down the night before), and El Fanar st. in Hadaba.

Cheers

C.

Attachments

• storm1.jpg
    storm1.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 28
  • storm2.jpg
    storm2.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 41
  • storm3.jpg
    storm3.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 30
Hi. Me and my girlfriend are supposed to be flying out to Sharm tomorrow afternoon. Is it still reeally bad there? Are there still excursions etc. or are people still trying to sort everything out after the flood?

Hi chineseboy - everything is fine, don't worry. There's a bit of mud here and there and some broken roads where they had to smash the kerbs to allow the water to drain away but otherwise it is business as usual.

Enjoy your time here! :)

C.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom