Four years later, or why I'm still a DIR diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As long as I am making a PITA of myself -- Why does GUE list a "GUE Primer" class when there is none listed, or available, nor is there a book in the listing?

First of all, you're not being a PITA. :)

Second, I'm not a GUE expert nor do I play one on TV. :D

Can only tell you about my brief personal experience with them. I'm not familiar with the Primer as the only class I took from GUE was Fundies. An instructor usually lists classes if they have enough students to fill a class. If there is an instructor you'd like to take a class with you can contact them and put a class together with other interested divers. I did that for my Fundies class.

As for a manual, once you sign up for a class, the instructor will download PDF files into your student folder on the GUE website. Anyone, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about why the GUE Primer class is not listed on the website.

Last, I personally feel any money spent on GUE training is money, and time, well spent.

Its available and has been "taught" its mostly lecture with alot less in water time than GUE-F. Usually done the day before a GUE-F class for those who aren't ready to make a full committment. Any GUE-F instructor can run one, just ask.

The one I helped with (shooting video) in MA was more of an "Intro to GUE/DIR" for those decently unfamiliar with either, but interested in learning a little more. Day was filled with discussion, dry runs, in water pool practice (in loaner DIR gear), video debrief, and more discussion.

Ditto. For me, DIR = less drama, more fun.

My sentiments exactly. You'd think from the internets that I would have such a limited amount of people to dive with, be saying "no" to dives all the time cause they didn't suit some exacting DIR specification, yada yada. I have found exactly the opposite to be true. Its not all all hard to find the buddies worldwide. They are some of the most generous and kind hearted divers who loan me equipment, know local logistics already, and all the other elements of building fun times.

TSandM. . . I think they have shots for that. . . :D

Congratulations, four years of diving, and you're still enjoying, and spreading the good word. You've gotten advanced training, and you're carrying those skills into other areas, spreading your talents to benefit us all.

U mm m m yeah . . . All the classes listed are oh, about a continent away from AZ . . . :(

Do you think if I bought some of the books, I could self-train until I can arrange a vacation / training session?

Am I correct that GUE fundementals would be the place for an AOW / Nitrox diver to start?

Do you think if I bought some of the books, I could self-train until I can arrange a vacation / training session?

Ahhh heck. Just read up on it on the internet (here on Scubaboard). Thats all you need.

Before you know it....you will be in the DIR forum teaching it.

Ron, as I said in the essay, I know lots of people who have groups of buddies they mesh well with. The nice thing about DIR diving is that I can dive with STRANGERS and have it be that way!

Ahhh heck. Just read up on it on the internet (here on Scubaboard). Thats all you need.

Before you know it....you will be in the DIR forum teaching it.

:rofl3: hey, yeah! I can say I learned it watching TV! Ooops, wrong thread.

Having a strong network of buddies, both locally and pretty much where ever I want to travel, is one of my very favorite thing about diving this way. Turns out, most of us are fun to be around, both topside and underwater....which is part of the reason I'm always so surprised that DIR has such a bad connotation to some people (yeah, yeah, I've read the forums and seen some of the elitist crap, but really, most people are not like that at all).

I love the lack of drama. Diving this way makes things simple and fun.

U mm m m yeah . . . All the classes listed are oh, about a continent away from AZ . . . :(

Am I correct that GUE fundementals would be the place for an AOW / Nitrox diver to start?

I don't know if you're being facetious or not....but there are a number of GUE instructors in California, which is not really that far from AZ. Also, look into UTD....this agency teaches the same philosophy as GUE -- and there are a good number of CA instructors as well.

So, as I understand this, a DIR diver is one who follows the standards of GUE, which is touted to be a much higher standard than 'regular' agencies . . . Are they also a certification agency? Or are they like a "specialty" add-on? . . . and as TS&M stated, she can dive with like-trained people and always be certain you all hold to the same standard?

I'm no expert by any means but I have taken a class :D

DIR, as I understand it, is an approach to diving. GUE is an agency that promotes DIR diving. It isn't the only one (UTD is another one).

Back
Top Bottom