Four years later, or why I'm still a DIR diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As long as I am making a PITA of myself -- Why does GUE list a "GUE Primer" class when there is none listed, or available, nor is there a book in the listing?

So, as I understand this, a DIR diver is one who follows the standards of GUE, which is touted to be a much higher standard than 'regular' agencies . . . Are they also a certification agency? Or are they like a "specialty" add-on? . . . and as TS&M stated, she can dive with like-trained people and always be certain you all hold to the same standard?

Close? Missed the target?

Sorry, UsryTregre, I must have posted as you added to your original post. I believe GUE was one of the first agencies to teach DIR style of diving but they are not the only one now. UTD also teaches DIR style of diving. GUE is a certification agency so you do get a c-card if you pass their class. I believe in the past GUE did not offer c-cards.

I have not traveled to other parts of the world since becoming certified by GUE (Aug 2009) but I do dive with a local group on SB, Dive NY, 99% in that group are not DIR trained but are good divers nonetheless.

GUE has a standard but I hesitate to say it is a higher standard cause until I've trained with all the agency I can't make that claim. Their standard is different from the other agencies, or at least the other two that I've trained with prior to GUE.

This is a good writeup on DIR http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/dir/44823-what-dir.html from Cave Diver.

Interesting - Search on "DIR" and "GUE" returns no finds ? ? ?

I have presumed that the Do It Right is a methodology, but haven't quite figured out where GUE comes in . . .

Why do I think I have seen a forum titled "DIR"?

For some annoying technical reason SB ignores search terms less of 3 or fewer characters. A good(better?) way to search is to put the following into google

dir gue site:scubaboard.com

I don't know if you're being facetious or not....but there are a number of GUE instructors in California, which is not really that far from AZ. Also, look into UTD....this agency teaches the same philosophy as GUE -- and there are a good number of CA instructors as well.

Sorry . . . not being facecitious, but maybe exaggerating a bit . . me, 4.5 miles from Mexico; closest class, Monteray, CA.

Thanks for the tip on UTD . . . . I am really not sure if I am ready to commit, but I am interested enough to study and maybe take a class. Ergo -- download the books and read.
:D

Sorry . . . not being facecitious, but maybe exaggerating a bit . . me, 4.5 miles from Mexico; closest class, Monteray, CA.

:D

Um, pretty sure San Diego (Marc Hall) is a lot closer than Monterey. As is LA (5-6 DIR instructors). You can get a (decent) sense about DIR from various online resources (SB, DMX, DIR-X, TDS, GUE and UTD websites, etc), but ultimately, you can't learn DIR on the interwebs.

Edit: Looks like the drive for you to SD/LA is about the same as the drive I took to Phoenix to do my rescue class. IMO, definitely worth the time on the road.

U mm m m yeah . . . All the classes listed are oh, about a continent away from AZ . . . :(

Do you think if I bought some of the books, I could self-train until I can arrange a vacation / training session?

Am I correct that GUE fundementals would be the place for an AOW / Nitrox diver to start?

The c-card for Fundamentals includes Nitrox certification, not sure about AOW portion as the dives in Fundamentals are not deep. We were on the student platforms (30 ft) performing drills and working on timed ascend/descends.

GUE has a standard but I hesitate to say it is a higher standard cause until I've trained with all the agency I can't make that claim. Their standard is different from the other agencies, or at least the other two that I've trained with prior to GUE.

Yes - standards are interesting -- my original training was NAUI but the instructor is also a Biology teacher with a deep and abiding respect for all life. I have, however, observed others. He has since gone to SSI; I'll have to ask why.

And yes, I read the Cave Diver thread . . . but the various in- and out-puts of the board forums tended to muddy (silt?) the waters.

I shall read and learn! And ask numerous questions -- thank you all!

Um, pretty sure San Diego (Marc Hall) is a lot closer than Monterey. As is LA (5-6 DIR instructors). You can get a (decent) sense about DIR from various online resources (SB, DMX, DIR-X, TDS, GUE and UTD websites, etc), but ultimately, you can't learn DIR on the interwebs.

Edit: Looks like the drive for you to SD/LA is about the same as the drive I took to Phoenix to do my rescue class. IMO, definitely worth the time on the road.

Hmm . . . I did the class search, not the instructor search. We are 8.5 hours from San Diego.

Again . . . I know nothing except what I've read in the forums, and definitely didn't knwo there was more than one agency promoting DIR. Thanks!

Usry, there are at least three GUE instructors in the Los Angeles area, and at least two UTD instructors.

I think I would be willing to say that the DIR (GUE or UTD) standards for recreational divers are higher than one is commonly going to encounter with other agencies, at least in the US, although certainly individual instructors can and probably do teach to that kind of standard. But it isn't that we're BETTER divers -- we're GOOD divers, but we're the SAME divers, and all of us buy into the concept of team diving. So that makes it all work.

Okay -- I'm getting this faint glimmer :D of impression that one should search for instructors first, and then correspond with them. . . . I'll do that, checking that list of resources y'all provided.

Hmm . . . I did the class search, not the instructor search. We are 8.5 hours from San Diego.

Classes are basically put together when a diver contacts the instructor. When/if you're interested in a class, it's best if you initiate that conversation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom