Free Flow in the Great Lakes Region

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

. Cam I can't make this meet and greet but definitely want to make the next one.

The next one is the 3rd weekend in April at Gilboa Quarry----And the water is COLD! :-O Put it on your calendar.

I've had two free flows from sudden second stage freezing. One at about 114 ffw on the William Young in the Straits. The second was on the Niagra at Tobermory, only about 80 ffw. Both were at 42 F. Haven't had any issues since I changed to an environmentally sealed reg (Scubapro MK17/G250V), and have had it in 37F water under the ice and at Gilboa in December. The first time I breathed off the free-flowing reg while my buddy and I ascended, then used his pony when my tank got low. Second time I switched to my own pony. I carry the pony on any deep cold dive. Second stages with metal barrels tend to do better than plastic. No matter how bullet-proof you believe your reg is, a redundant air system is essential in really cold water.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom