Free Flowing Regulator - teaching

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Screwba

New
Reaction score
Hey!

For almost a decade I have been teaching how to handle a free flowing regulator using the "corner out of the mouth and sip" technique. Yesterday, sitting in the pool with my latest class whilst timing the 30 seconds, I wondered if this is really the best way.

Why not simply tell them to hold the reg in their mouths and allow the excess airflow to exit through the exhaust valves? It works, I know, because I tried it.

Surely far safer than expecting someone to ascend safely with a regulator half way in, using a technique practiced once in a pool?

Comments?

(PADI MI, 700 certs, 3,500 dives)

That is what I do now. I was in the pool practicing sipping a freeflowing reg and realized I was so rustY I couldn't do it and would have drown if I had to rely on that skill. I then proceeded to try what you did and it worked better and there is no chance of forgetting how to breath out of a reg. You can turn your head to have the exhaust flow up and away from your mask to keep bubbles out of it and keep you mask from getting knocked off.

Here was my thread w/ same question:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba.../401895-1st-2nd-stage-freeflow-questions.html

Dave

I've done it both ways, but find it is more comfortable to use the half in method. I find the positive pressure created by the all in method creates too much effort on exhalation. YMMV

I always assumed there was no leeway in how to teach it (PADI), because the skill sequence was specifically described. I've long believed that keeping the regulator fully in the mouth was the most 'fool-proof' method. In such circumstances, the diver is likely to be quite stressed - so the simplest option has a lot of attraction. Also, during such an ascent, there's likely to be a lot going on, plus bubbles everywhere, it'd be a lot easier to lose the reg from the mouth when it's held half-in.

I never heard that there was any practical reason that 'needed' the reg to be vented at the mouthpiece... but I didn't assume that there might not be a good reason for this, just because I hadn't heard of it. To balance off a rejection of simplicity and regulator retention, I'd hope that any such reason was based on a serious health and safety

Just to ponder ...

The free flow sippy cup technique adds another level of familiarity with basic scuba gear, thus instills confidence in equipment ...

I was following my buddy a little too closely last weekend, and had my reg kicked halfway from my mouth by his wayward finning ... without learning to 'drink the bubbles' I likely wouldn't have handled the incident as comfortably ...

Last edited:
Effective training provides specific drills for specific purposes - and explains those purposes to the student.

Teaching something as an 'emergency drill', when it's actual purpose was familiarization/comfort/confidence would be terribly wrong.

Hey!

Thanks for the quick replies.

Just checked the exact requirements in the PADI instructor manual.

"Breathe effectively from a free-flowing regulator for not less than thirty seconds"

and the description includes the sentence

"Stress that students should not seal their mouths around the mouthpiece"

So no sipping required.

My next students will get a go at this method.

Interesting how we can sometimes get stuck into a routine passed on down the line.

As an aside, sometimes I wonder if it is a good idea that once qualified an instructor need never go and have his/her teaching skills and method assessed again.

Just turn off your tank valve, and your uncontrollable free-flow is solved. All that noise & bubbles does is just add to the stress level --as well as waste precious breathing gas-- so just shut it down.

Breath your buddy's octo . . .or worst case being by yourself on single tank --breath your own octo or back-up reg and do a CESA. When you have to take in breaths during the ascent, feather/modulate your tank valve as needed and then shut it down (if your other reg is still free-flowing). Pause at 6m and perform a safety stop if you can with a slow ascent to the surface, remaining gas permitting . . .all the while feathering/modulating your tank valve again as needed for breaths.

A great drill for you and your buddy to practice. . .​

Just turn off your tank valve, and your uncontrollable free-flow is solved....Breath your buddy's octo . .​

This can be a solution for cold-related free-flows. Shut-down, ascend on buddy's AAS. After a few minutes try re-opening the valve. The freeze sometimes dissipates and the reg will function to continue the ascent.

..being by yourself on single tank --breath your own octo or back-up reg and do a CESA.

Personally, I wouldn't shut down... just hold the free-flowing reg at arms length (reduced stress from bubbles) and breath from your own octo. The danger is that this reg may also free-flow (likely, if it is the 1st stage that's frozen). In which case, then shut down and CESA.

To be honest.. for the 'average' diver.. the free-flowing reg is gonna provide sufficient gas for a nice controlled CESA. Rather than shut-down, just breath the freeflow on the way up. If the bubbles are causing a safety issue through stress (feasible) just remove the reg from the mouth between breaths and hold it at arms length (sort of a solo buddy-breathing exercise).

Back
Top Bottom