Freediving masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

irishdiver84

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I'm just wondering if anyone has suggestions for a good, low-volume freediving mask. I have a fairly small mask anyway, but I feel like I'm still wasting breath equalizing it. I've been hearing about spheras--both good and bad things-- and omer masks. Any thoughts?

There are a lot of good freediving masks out there, but they all have good points and challenges.

The Sphera was the mask of choice when I was taking my PFI Intermediate Freediving course. All the instructors used them. They have very little volume to fill when you need to equalize, are flexible so they don't hurt as much before you do equalize, it fits a lot of face sizes, and they're very streamlined. But as they said in the course, they're a consumable product. In other words, one will probably last a season. The plastic lenses scratch very easily. They also have some distortion at the curve of the lens. The other classic freedive specific masks are the Cressi Minima and Spetton Falcon. These also are very low volume and have plastic lenses, but are not as flexible. They both tend to fit smaller faces best. All three of these masks are basicly swimming goggles with a nose pocket.

There are lots of masks designed for spearfishing as well as freediving. The classics here are the Cressi Superocchio and Sporasub Samurai. These fit more medium sized faces and have glass lenses. They have a little more volume, but still a fraction of most scuba masks. Omer and Riffe have a wide selection of different masks designed for spearfishing that fit a variety of faces.

All this being said, before I buy a mask I want to try it on. I've tried a few of these, but not all. I first tried the Superocchio and Samurai. The wide bridge of my nose wouldn't work for these. I needed a little bigger mask. Because I have prescription lenses in my mask I didn't think I wanted a mask with plastic lenses, and certainly not one that was flexible. I finally got to try on a Sphera and it did fit very well. I'm thinking of buying one and squinting a little.

Hope this helps.

Jon

Thanks for the advice- I have a very small face and if anything, the smaller the better for me. There's not a lot of dive shops around here that carry freediving masks, but I'll definitely look into these more. I really appreciate it!

They were so cheap I tried one of each.

Aqua Sphere Sphera from Amazon.com. Black skirt, black frame. $27.99 (I think) on sale.

Speedo Raven from Speedousa.com. Clear skirt, blue frame. Something like $11.77 on sale.

I figured at this cheap It's woth picking up both to see which fits better. The Raven seems to be Speedo's version of flexible swim goggles with a nose pocket. Pretty similar to the Sphera with a slightly different frame. I'll be taking them to Kona for freediving in mid November so I can tell you how they work for me, but my face sounds like it's a little wider than yours. At these prices though, you might want to order first and send them back if they don't work for you.

You also might want to look on DeeperBlue.net. It's a web site aimed more at freedivers so they may have more suggestions for you or I'm sure there are some threads already discussing masks.

Jon

Incredibly quick from Swim2000 (the storefront that Amazon used). I ordered it on Thursday and got it on Monday with no special delivery charges. It fits me very well, probably the best fitting mask I've ever had. So it may be a little to wide for you Irishdiver84. After receiving the Sphera I went over to DeeperBlue.net to see if anyone had tips for prep before the first dive (do I use toothpaste on plastic lenses?). I read of some weird occurances with the mak. One person had the coating on the outside of the lens bubble off in just a few dives. No one else mentioned that happening, however. And for less than $30, it's not a worry for me.

Also in DeeperBlue I read some real raves about the Technisub/Aqualung Minimask cited by Teamcasa. They don't seem to be in the U.S. yet and from what I could tell a lot more expensive, but sounds real nice. I'm in no rush to replace my glass lens mak yet (paid a bunch of money to have prescription lenses bonded to the lens), but these cheap plastic masks will be fun to try.

JB

I personally have the sporasub samourai and the cressi focus.
I use them both for freediving and for scuba diving.
In which range are you diving ??
The lowest volume is probably the minima from cressi but you're losing some wild vision.
My focus is a little bit larger than my samourai but i am happy with both.
In fact i still prefer my cressi (just personal preference)

It's not even worth the $12 I paid for it. Thick, stiff silicon skirt. If I made the slightest move with my face it broke the seal. Oh well, live and learn. It was a cheap lesson thankfully. So cheap, it's not even worth sending it back.

Be warned.

JB

Back
Top Bottom