Frustrated with loud air bubbles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zonicles

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just tried out my new Zeagle Flathead and am very pleased with its performance with just one area of unhappiness. I would like to be able to dive in quiet and the exhaled bubbles are loud.

This is nothing unique to the Flathead.

I have designed (only in my head so far) some tubes that extend from each side of the exhaust so that the bubbles go far away from my ears. Much wider than the Atomic M1. Is there any reason why this wouldn't solve the problem?

This would look goofy, but I don't care about that.

Comments?

On photography dives I use a regulator with similar tubes extending back around my head that ensure that the exhaust vents behind my head.

It's one of the major advantages of a double hose reg. I recently acquired one of Bryan Pennington's Phoenix Royal Aquamaster conversions. It combined what amounts to a Aqualung Titan/Conshelf first stage with HP and LP ports that allow conventional octos, inflators and computers with a vintage double hose regulator. The result is a very good performing and "modern" doubel hose regulator that performs better than Aqualung's recently introduced, and even more recently discontinued "Mistral" doubel hose regulator.

Cost for a Phoenix RAM will run around $550 if you don't currently own a serviceable DA Aquamaster but only about $180-220 if you do.

The Aqualung Mistral is another option and I see the limited edition version selling for around $500 new in their wooden box on e-bay while the regular models are selling new for around $300.

It's something to consider as it does solve the exhaust bubble problem that was created by the move to single hose regulators.

zonicles:
I just tried out my new Zeagle Flathead and am very pleased with its performance with just one area of unhappiness. I would like to be able to dive in quiet and the exhaled bubbles are loud.

This is nothing unique to the Flathead.

I have designed (only in my head so far) some tubes that extend from each side of the exhaust so that the bubbles go far away from my ears. Much wider than the Atomic M1. Is there any reason why this wouldn't solve the problem?

This would look goofy, but I don't care about that.

Comments?

zonicles,

I was (am) hoping DA Aquamaster, Oxyhacker or Pescador will expound on this, but like you, I thought that some sort of extended exhaust tube would be a cool idea. But I am afraid there would be an issue with case fault geometry. If the exhaust head (the opening where your tubes release the air) is significantly higher than the middle of the second stage diaphragm the result would be continuous free flow. If the exhaust head is too far below the middle of the second stage diaphragm you would increase the force required to exhale. A different exhaust tee may be all you need.
Search the regulator forum for these terms "work of breathing" (wob) and "case fault geometry" and I'm sure you will find more detailed information

Until then, make an exhaust tee extension, test dive it and send me a perfected unit. (Black, if you please)

couv

Yuu will never get rid of the exhaust noise, no matter what fancy ideas people come up with.

How about just bite the bullet and buy a Rebreather.
Complete Silence, the only way to dive !!!

Cheers
Chriso

Sydney_Diver:
.....Complete Silence, the only way to dive !!!

Cheers
Chriso

"complete"?????? even the units make noise... but theyre comforting noises :wink:

almitywife:
"complete"?????? even the units make noise... but theyre comforting noises :wink:

Of course the solenoid firing maybe every 5 mins, a quiet whisper of air passing into the loop for a second or 2. But then the fish being so close to you and making their usual racket tends to drown that out.

Cheers
Chriso

Sydney_Diver:
Of course the solenoid firing maybe every 5 mins, a quiet whisper of air passing into the loop for a second or 2.
Thats the sound of the rebreather saying, "I'm still here, go enjoy your dive":wink:

Sydney_Diver:
How about just bite the bullet and buy a Rebreather.
Complete Silence, the only way to dive !!!
Every rebreather diver I've dived with won't shut up during the dive. And after the dive, if they have a rebreather and you don't, they get really noisy. :wink:

I had to shake the piggy bank real hard to buy the Zeagle gear. I am happy with it and don't intend to buy double hose or rebreather rigs.

Would like to know if anyone has ever stuck 4 inch hoses onto their exhausts and lived to tell about it.

Maybe I should draw a picture.

Back
Top Bottom