Ft. Myers Beach New Year's Eve Day!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ewwwww!!!!! Simon, have you seen the size of that dogs tongue :11: one big ol' lick and your entire face is covered in doggie drool...

JustJoe:
I am up for New Year's Eve. Let me know what we should bring. The wife and kids will be with me.

Joe

If people want to just throw out suggestions of what they would like to bring, that would be cool. I figured we'd keep it simple and do burgers and dogs, add a side dish or three, some chips or other such munchies, pop (that's Michigander for "soda"), and a sweet treat or two, and I think we'll have ourselves a pretty yummy little barbecue. Of course we'll need the paperware and plasticware as well.

We're going to check out Lovers Key and Bodwich Point to see which parks facilities are in better shape. Lovers Key is a much nicer park and ironically enough only a few miles to some offshore shallow artificial reefs if Brian wants to bring Lutefisk..er... Sharkbaite! around. Bodwich isn't to far from them either, its just much harder to park the boat near that park.

wouldn't be hard, just alittel bit of a swim is all LOL....

If there is no objections, I'm recommending that we use the facilities at Lovers Key State Park. There were lots of dolphins there today and the beach, though renourished, is much nicer than Bodwich Points beach. There is also a LARGE pavilian for use there with typical "state park" grills. It's a shallow beach and really safe for kids.

If Brian wants to bring his boat out, its safe to pull up to the beach - if anyone wants to coerce him into taking them out to some of the artificial reefs near by, you'd have nearly unlimited diving as the depth on the 4 or 5 reefs is about 30'.

I vote for diving, if he wants to anchor the boat i dont mind swimming out. What sites are there for artificial reefs, the usual culverts, concrete rubble, and such?

Looking pretty good for us to head over your way....

simbrooks:
I vote for diving, if he wants to anchor the boat i dont mind swimming out. What sites are there for artificial reefs, the usual culverts, concrete rubble, and such?

There is May, G-H, and Lee-Collier reef.

http://www.lee-county.com/naturalresources/artreef.htm

L-C is culverts and trucks - max 34'
G-H is 2 barges, a steel vessel, some rubble and culverts
May is rubble and such - two spots are unidentified.

If GH and May have maps available if you click on the red dot on the map - Lee-Collier does not.

Depending on visibility, there are also opportunities for snorkeling right from shore. There's not a whole lot to see, but you can get sand dollars and check out some of the smaller fish in the shallow grasses. Water temps may be a bit cool for some of the kids, but it's just a thought.

Plus there are canoe and kayak rentals, bike rentals, nature trails, fishing, etc. Entrance fee is $3.00 per vehicle. If you want to check it out, go to www.floridastateparks.org/loverskey.

lol... well I won't fight those guys for the mint...

Just had a thought. We can roll this into one big party for my B-day as well just a thought, maybe include Colin too

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom