Ft. Pickens Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have not dove off my own boat much so I am trying to get a feeling for best practices. I have dove several different charters and have learnt a great deal from them, but I am always interested in hereing how others are doing things, so I really appreciate your feedback. Most of the charters I have dove send a deckhand down to anchor to the wreck with chain and no anchor. This seems unrealistic to me as it requires to much on divers decending and ascending without a good reference point so it would mean the a boat pickup. So I am leaning toward anchoring and sending 2 divers down while 2 get ready. My problem is that my buddy gets motion sick waiting so I need to hit the water first, but I have to anchor the boat and make sure we aren't drifting, then get ready. It's tough! It almost makes diving off me boat so much of a hastle that it's not enjoyable. It feels more like a job than a relaxing event.

I have not dove off my own boat much so I am trying to get a feeling for best practices. I have dove several different charters and have learnt a great deal from them, but I am always interested in hereing how others are doing things, so I really appreciate your feedback. Most of the charters I have dove send a deckhand down to anchor to the wreck with chain and no anchor. This seems unrealistic to me as it requires to much on divers decending and ascending without a good reference point so it would mean the a boat pickup. So I am leaning toward anchoring and sending 2 divers down while 2 get ready. My problem is that my buddy gets motion sick waiting so I need to hit the water first, but I have to anchor the boat and make sure we aren't drifting, then get ready. It's tough! It almost makes diving off me boat so much of a hastle that it's not enjoyable. It feels more like a job than a relaxing event.

I know exactly what you mean.

I have a friend with a smaller boat that her and her son dive solo as they find it more relaxing than trying to get several divers off of a cramped boat and then try and trade places between the dives. I say they crazy but it seems they have found an alternative to the congestion on there boat.

I'm secure with my training and ability, but as much as I love the idea of the solo dive, I just can't get past the 10,000 things that can go wrong and get you killed without a dive buddy.

I use the "roll control" system to mount my tanks on my gunwale. This keeps them off the deck, and makes setting up divers much easier. I use two through-bolted aluminum tracks, and the adjustable mounts (they fold down nicely when not in use). So far, three divers can set up in relative comfort. I've yet to try it with four at the same time, but time will tell.

I've been looking at those for some time now. I've been on dive charters that have them but I'm a bit worried about how they hold up during a violent roll. The charters I was on have all had bungie cords as a back up to hold the tank in place in case it comes out of the roll control mount. For now I've had to lay my stuff on the deck, and that SUCKS! With 3 or 4 divers it becomes unmanagable quickly!

I've been in 3's with mine (and actually airborne) and so far they have stayed secure. I put bungies on them, but realistically I don't think they add any security. The only downside is drilling the countersink on the aluminum rails (took forever).

If I get the boat to your area in the next few weeks I'll give you the nickle tour and we can compare notes.

Do you do any night diving? What's your weekend bedtime?

I've been in 3's with mine (and actually airborne) and so far they have stayed secure. I put bungies on them, but realistically I don't think they add any security. The only downside is drilling the countersink on the aluminum rails (took forever).

If I get the boat to your area in the next few weeks I'll give you the nickle tour and we can compare notes.

Do you do any night diving? What's your weekend bedtime?

I have a dozen or so night dives under my belt, but nothing in Salt, I'm excited about going though.

As for my bed time on the weekends...... Depends on the company and pending activities. For a night dive, I can skip some zzzzzz's!

Hetland, You diving this weekend?

Every weekend I can :D

Current plans are to do afternoon/night dives at Navarre Pier. I've been running the roads for 4 weeks and need a break from driving and boat captaining, so I am tagging along with two of my night dive buddies. You interested in meeting up and dodging some jellies? We're looking at late afternoon Friday or Saturday. If Friday, we would leave Mobile around 4ish. We have all our own tanks and gear.

Navarre is a great place to start night diving (as long as the jellies don't kill you) :D

Every weekend I can :D

Current plans are to do afternoon/night dives at Navarre Pier. I've been running the roads for 4 weeks and need a break from driving and boat captaining, so I am tagging along with two of my night dive buddies. You interested in meeting up and dodging some jellies? We're looking at late afternoon Friday or Saturday. If Friday, we would leave Mobile around 4ish. We have all our own tanks and gear.

Navarre is a great place to start night diving (as long as the jellies don't kill you) :D

Sounds great! I live 10 minutes from Navarre Beach, I'm going to PM you with my Cell and E-Mail so we can set up all the details. I was trying to check the tides for this weekend but my tide site must be down.

Back
Top Bottom