Fuel question for you Captains

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This will sound snarky, although it isn't meant that way, but I use a fuel vendor that doesn't send me water.

So the real story is, I use Algae-x magnets in the main header from the tanks, and also in the fuel line to each generator. When I feel the need to buy lots of racors, I use Algae-x liquid fuel treatment in the tanks at twice the recommended ratio. When I really want them clean, I use Bio-Bor, and when I don't want to mess around, I use bio-diesel. Bio diesel will cure whatever ails ya, and it will pull the water out of your tanks, but if you have a real algae problem, you'll run a case of racors in a day. In my case, 5 or 6 cases of racors in a day. Then, you won't mess with it for another year.

I have a fuel polishing service available to me. I polished both my tanks and still was having problems. I had the polisher guy come back when I opened the tanks and there was a foot of algae sludge in the bottom. It came out with a shovel. I am not a believer in polishing fuel. Bio-diesel is the real thing, but it's going to clean your tanks like right now. When most folks switch a boat from diesel to bio diesel, they start with B-2, then B-10, then B-20, then B-50, then B-100, because using B-100 right off the bat will cost a bunch in fuel filters.

What Capt Frank is saying is corrrect, you have water in your tanks in some amount and it does not have to be much. The algae only grows in the interface between the water and the fuel, no water, no algae. When you use the boat more then you tend to have less algae issues but it can hit any boat, even if you are careful about fueling. I have been succesful with products similar to what Frank recommended, but carry plenty of spare filters when you do as you will be using them...

Back
Top Bottom