fukushima fall out

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fukushima is leaking 0.3 terabecquerels (TBq) of radioactive material per month.
Compare this to the already present 100,000 TBq of caesium-137 from H-bomb testing in the 1960s. (Who do we have to thank for that?)

Source: Should Fukushima's radioactive water be dumped at sea? - environment - 23 August 2013 - New Scientist

(Quote) Buesseler says that during his own sampling survey in waters 30 to 600 kilometres from Fukushima in June 2011, three months after the meltdown, the highest levels he found were 3 Bq of caesium-137 per litre of seawater. By comparison, the natural weathering of rocks results in about 10 Bq of radioactive potassium-40 making it into each litre of seawater.

On an international level, even if all the waste from Fukushima was dumped neat into the Pacific, dilution would eliminate any radiation risks to distant countries like the US, says Simon Boxall of the National Oceanography Centre in Southampton, UK. (/quote)

There are hundreds of divers and swimmers, including me, in the areas around Tokyo without any concerns.
---------- Post added April 23rd, 2014 at 11:40 AM ----------

Complete fearmongering! "According to scientists"? Who? Names?
"Radiation will..." How much? Numbers?
It's just a sensationalist piece to provoke emotions on people without any facts and figures. For a properly quoted article with numbers and data in it, please refer to my precious post. Again, main media wants to sell headlines and doesn't inform you. Choose your sources and quotes wisely instead of just being emotional. Look at actually numbers and facts and state those with credible sources please.

Me too, Ive been diving here almost every week for three years and seem fine for the moment.

Last edited:
Me too, Ive been diving here almost every week for three years and seem fine for the moment.

I don't know, your skin looks like it's a glowy gold color based upon your avatar. That might not be normal. :D

Yes, and some of us have x-Ray vision and firebreathe!! It's really Xman style! Genetic mutation FTw!! Can I be Wolverine?

I don't know, your skin looks like it's a glowy gold color based upon your avatar. That might not be normal. :D

True, I have noticed I'm thinning on top a little too and seem to have a strange growth in the center of my forehead. Maybe I'm not OK after all.

After the Chernobyl reactor accident there was a quite a few children at that time that later got cancer due to consuming contaminated milk. Based on how the incident was handled for this radiation release research indicates that there will be no increased incidence for cancer for people in the area and emergency staff responding to the reactor incident.

Back
Top Bottom