Fusion impressions - 20 dives later

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hey how durable is the tech skin i am interested in getting one but i like to wreck dive and was worried about the fusion skin getting snagged and ripped

Its actually great for that....All other drysuits are oversized so you can stretch and move because the material doesnt stretch. Creating folds and caverns in the material which create drag and snagging points. These dont give, and if you snag, they rip...depending on the material, they rip easy or they can handle a bit more rugged..

With the fusion, the material is lightweight and due to the outer skin, it folds pretty flat against your body...now those 2"-3" folds are gone, your more streamlined going thru the water, you have no drag, and your snag points dissappeared...its like diving naked:shocked2: Now, Just like the shirt your wearing, if you snag it on something, you can get a hole or snag in it, but you dont get hurt...kind of like the outer skins of the fusion. Not to mention that you have all that material on the inside(inner bladder) that if it snags, it gives and the snag usually slips off....not ripping that easy at all....then if you add in the 1mm tech skin, you make it even more durable.

When was the last time you snagged a 1mm wetsuit going thru a wreck? Pretty hard to do unless your getting in really tight places because it fits you so tight....well thats the fusion:wink:

Folds- this is most likely a custom suit and in warm water with little undergarment and twice the price:
2002_dry.jpg

No folds, thick undergarment that would compress and have even deeper folds in other suits :
alleycat.jpg

Mike pretty much nailed it with his description of the Fusion durability. The Fusion is often percieved as being less durable to taditional hard shell suits because it is so lightweight. However this is simply a perception and the Fusion is actually very tough. I personally have about 200 rocky shore dives on my Fusion and it is still in like new condition.

Also remember that the outer skin can be replaced very easily and for quite a low price. So even if you somehow managed to rip the outer skin the Drycore has been protected and you are still dry. The skin doubles as an extra layer of protection for the Drycore!

Cheers,

Justin

Quick recap, the SAR skin is coming out in May? and do we have any pictures of this skin (back,sides, etc...)

Around May or June...

Click on "External Skin" The click the right arrow

Whites Diving | Fusion Dive Suit

We will be a Demo center very shortly for Whites, if you want to come up and do a demo :wink:

Thanks, but I seen that picture, I am interested in what is on the back of the arms. It looks like it starts to say "rescue" on his left arm but there is no picture of the back side... just wondering..

Maybe Justin can snap some pics of one and throw it up....I dont work for Whites, so I dont have access to more pics of that suit :wink:

Good Day all - due to the varying demands of Rescue suits we have not officially decided what will be on the end product, which is why the pictures have been vague. Some dept.s want solid red, some red & Black, some want "SAR" written on it, some want "RESCUE"....The good news is we can build the skins in house including screening the graphics - so once we figure out our "stock" Fusion SAR Skin, we'll let you know.

Until then, if someone wants to start a new thread on their perfect world SAR skin, please do - I'll keep tabs and be sure to integrate the ideas into our next Public Safety meeting.

Until the next dive,

Tyler

Don't worry Tamas, you wouldn't be the only guy on a southern Ontario Charter boat wearing tight latex and doubles. My fusion and doubles is all I dive in the great lakes anymore.

Jim, I am glad the suit is working out for you.........I have looked at and tried on a suit at the Toronto Outdoor show, and while the suit looks and feels good I could not get past the "over the hill, should be retired super hero, where is my cape" look. Eric was very nice in trying to convince me that it's fine.....but not sure if I would have guts (as visible as they were) to step foot on a local dive charter sporting tight latex + doubles :)

But who knows, it might be like the new armour in "The Nights Tale" that all the other knights laughed about and then were impressed by the mobility of.

I would need to actually dive one to see if I like it and want to spend the $ on. Eric? Tyler?

Tyler the perfect SAR suit would be blue, and say "POLICE" on it, (with a dry pocket for my glock!)... screw them hose draggers... I am kidding, I only became a cop cause the fire department roster was full... I dont want to start the whole guns vs hoses debate on here... I vote rescue on each side... it will then apply to all disciplines, police, fire, stand-alone, etc..... also all red may be a little much... keep it with the black accents!

Back
Top Bottom