Fusion with SiTech ring system, review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I got my new Fusion two days ago, and I spent the whole day in the water with it yesterday. The bottom line: They've improved the suit enormously since I bought my original. It was a good suit then, and it's a better suit now.

The details:

The cut of the suit has been changed even since the loaner I've been using. It is now trivial to get into and out of the suit with the MK3 undergarment on. This is a big plus! The current suspenders are very nice and hugely better than the original ones. I like the Tech skin -- the pockets are enough for any open water diving I will do. (For caves, I'm still going to have to use the Sport skin and X-shorts, in order to carry around bunches of spools.)

The neck ring was something I was a little worried about, having read at least one report of someone finding it uncomfortable. I'm so narrow across the shoulders, I was afraid it would end up under my harness and be uncomfortable. Looking at it, before putting the suit on, didn't reassure me any. But in practice, the ring makes putting the neck seal on a little tiny bit more difficult (or maybe just more awkward), but once it is on, the ring was completely unnoticeable. I'm very happy about this!

The silicone neck seal is very soft and stretchy, but unfortunately WAY too big for my neck. I used it yesterday with a BioSeal under it, and it seeped only a little, which is fine for summer and short dives, but probably isn't going to work for winter and long ones. It will have to be replaced with a small latex seal :(

The wrist rings are much bigger than I expected, and my first reaction was panic, because there was NO way that my Viking dry glove rings were going to go on behind the SiTech ones. But I investigated the situation a bit further, and discovered that I could remove the inner ring from the SiTech system, and actually use the OUTER ring of the Viking bayonet setup to replace it, and it worked perfectly. And the end result feels nothing different from my Viking rings alone. Major win here!

On the other hand, the silicone wrist seals, which are soft and lovely, are also too big . . . good enough for use under the dry gloves, where a major flood is going to make me head in anyway, but they will NOT work in Mexico, where I don't wear gloves and do use my hands a lot. So they'll have to be replaced with latex, too.

Bottom line, as I said, is that this was a good suit, and is now a better one, but small people who are going to use the ring system should just order the small latex seals to start with, and skip the silicone, at least until or unless they start making them in more than one size.

Thanks to Mike at Dive Right In Scuba for making me a very nice deal on a new suit!

Hopefully by the end of the year the smaller seals will be available :wink: If you haven't sold the ones you have, I will exchange them with the smaller ones when we get them.

Glad you love the suit! Your old one will probably head back your way in a couple weeks :cool2:

I have an older Fusion that I'd like to get altered. I heard that shortly after I bought my first gen suit they tweaked the design to make the fit of the legs better... and guess now the cut has been adjusted again.

Mike, you are a dealer... is there any way to get an old suit altered by the factory? Even if it can't be brought up to the current standard, any alteration that makes it easier to don would be nice. I tried contacting Whites myself but have had absolutely no luck getting a reply.

You write nice reviews. Makes me wish I saved money for a fusion. I just bought another trilam suit, used but it has the sitech wrist and neck system with silicon seals. I have a bigger neck and wrist so am excited to try it out! Before I bought it I repeatedly looked at the fusion at DRIS's website but I would have had to save for a few more months to come up with the $1700, for the tech with slt. I wish my LDS carried them so I could rent one to try.

Oh, good news, Mike! If they come out with smaller silicone seals, I'll be a very happy woman. I really like the way they feel . . . they're so soft and "friendly". Kudos to SiTech for making an aftermarket user-replaceable seal system!

Reactions: Jax
I have an older Fusion that I'd like to get altered. I heard that shortly after I bought my first gen suit they tweaked the design to make the fit of the legs better... and guess now the cut has been adjusted again.
I am curious, how many different "cuts" has the fusion gone through? I know there are at least 2 and that they are different in the color (grey and black) of the inner bladder. Are there any more? Does anyone know and could they post the details?

Well, all I know is that I have dived three different S/M Fusions, of different ages, and the fit was different on each one. My original Fusion (one of the first ones sold) was much tighter in the legs than the one I have been borrowing (which still had the black bag), but the new one (which has the gray bag) is better yet.

Well, all I know is that I have dived three different S/M Fusions, of different ages, and the fit was different on each one. My original Fusion (one of the first ones sold) was much tighter in the legs than the one I have been borrowing (which still had the black bag), but the new one (which has the gray bag) is better yet.
So at least 2 cuts for black bag and then grey. Has there been more than 1 grey cut? I have a "grey" fusion bought at the end of last year and it is not the easiest to get into. I am sure part of it is inexperience, but compared with the dui's I have tried it is definitively more laborious. On the other hand it was a really nice suit to dive :)

Back
Top Bottom