future ideology

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The entire concept that Global warming is "our" (North America & Europe -translated by the press as the US) fault so it's up to "us" to fix it is way too simplistic to be accurate. If you look at the CO plumes in the atmosphere you'll see quickly that East Asia and the Amazon basin are the largest producers, yet nobody has asked those areas to "pony up" to the solution. CO2 concentration histories don't even track temp changes very well. The science is NOT a done deal!

Remember that Mother Nature has a great many checks and balances in her system. It's when we mess with that system we get in trouble.

We "channelized" and dammed rivers, and destroyed the water filtering swamps that kept the oceans clean during that process. Subsidence is mostly due to the fact that channelizing has stopped natural land building and dumps that valuable potential topsoil in the bottom of lakes and off the continental shelf. Much could be solved by simply parking a few semis at strategic locations on the levies along the major rivers, and detonating their loads of TNT at an appropriate time to let the river find a new course to the sea. This would annoy a bunch of farmers and landholders though, not to mention getting the politicians who'd even propose it fired!

We've "improved" beaches and thus proved that the ONLY thing we can do to a natural beach is screw it up! Most "replenishment" projects are done on barrier islands that have always been mobile anyway. Building homes on a transient island is folly, but we keep doing it. NOBODY on a barrier island should be insured against the sea reclaiming what it has always owned. We who use barrier islands for recreation should simply be happy for the short time the sea loaned us it's sand. Expecting it to be "permanent loan" is a folly to begin with, and most replenishment projects should NOT be funded.

The sum total of greenhouse gasses in the atmosphere hasn't changed all that much. We burn fossilized carbon that came from the air to begin with. Our cattle and horses output large amounts of methane, but can anyone tell me that 100 million buffalos didn't fart? The largest aggregate producer of methane is still termites anyway.

There have been many warming/cooling cycles over the last 100,000,000 years. Why are we so vain to believe we have the ability to stop or start them? If "global warming" is a short term issue it will end in the start of another ice age that is overdue anyway. NO problem. These cycles will stop when the continents move a bit more and open up the arctic basin, say another 200,000,000 years or so, or we get a "snap tilt" by an asteroid impact that does the same thing and puts the poles in open oceans.

We also need to learn to listen to Mother Nature. She has ways to tell us when we have too many people in an area. We call them Famine and Drought. She also has a way to tell us to move back from the beach. We call that hint a typhoon, cyclone, or hurricane depending on where we live.

I still believe the best thing we can do for this rock is get off of it and start collecting and processing our raw materials in hard vacuum.

FT

Don't forget that a lot of the poorer nations are the dumping grounds of the US and Europe. Many companies make products far cheaper in Asia than they could over here...partly due to labor, partly due to health and safety and partly due to "We'll pay you money if you make this for us, and economically enslave you." Not saying Asian companies don't do it as well...but there's liability to be had by all

FredT once bubbled...
The entire concept that Global warming is "our" (North America & Europe -translated by the press as the US) fault so it's up to "us" to fix it is way too simplistic to be accurate. If you look at the CO plumes in the atmosphere you'll see quickly that East Asia and the Amazon basin are the largest producers, yet nobody has asked those areas to "pony up" to the solution.

Indeed. There was a new paper sometime last year that raised (and supported) the thesis that as societies progress from agrarian to early industrial and onward, there's a peak emissions point that's actually pretty early in the industrialization process. The most widely known example of this is probably Victorian England, where London's "pea soup fogs" of the time were actually what we would call smog, and thousands died routinely from breathing that stuff.

The approach favored by many is to prevent emissions in the first place -- which leads to preventing those who haven't progressed to industrialization yet from ever getting there. Those folks, on the other hand, would rather *like* to get to industrialization, to reap some of the other benefits (increased lifespan, reduced infant mortality rate*, improved food production, shift to knowledge economy, etc.)

The alernative is to encourage developing nations to progress through the high pollution stage as briskly as possible.

DrSteve once bubbled...
Don't forget that a lot of the poorer nations are the dumping grounds of the US and Europe. Many companies make products far cheaper in Asia than they could over here...partly due to labor, partly due to health and safety and partly due to "We'll pay you money if you make this for us, and economically enslave you." Not saying Asian companies don't do it as well...but there's liability to be had by all

Or credit to be taken. These countries, and the people in them, are desperately trying to improve their circumstances, to change the history of the last several thousand years of brutal farm labor and early death. Are there occasional abuses? Yes. A callous view would say that the population is nonetheless much better off than they were, and their children will be better yet. A less callous view would say that the abuses should stop, but without going all the way the other way and sentencing the nation to an endless future of poverty.

--Laird

(*Infant mortality is one of the best proxies for "civilization" -- it takes into account all kinds of things like food availability (both production and distribution), healthcare, availablity of lifesaving technologies, health of parents, etc., whie being relatively unaffected by extraneous factors. (For example, per-capita-income is biased by taxation policy and GDP-inputs, and nearly impossible to compare across differently productive societies (knowledge economy vs. agrarian economy = apples and oranges.)))

(Could we get any further off-topic? Whee!)

I propose we reduce the world population to 1/4 its current level and hold it there. All these environmental issues will disapear.

Longhorn once bubbled...
I propose we reduce the world population to 1/4 its current level and hold it there. All these environmental issues will disapear.

Sure. Agriculture and distribution networks would catastrophically collapse, along with trade overall, leading almost immediately to collapse of remainig infrastructure (water, power) and a die-off of most of the rest. Step back 50,000 years, do not pass Go.

--Laird

Longhorn once bubbled...

The hang is who picks who gets to survive, and who goes to the "gas chambers" or is sterilized in their youth?

The other alternative is to ship the "excess" population off world to functioning colonies. I like that choice, provided the esportees volunteer for the "duty".

BTW Getting a significant percentage of the poulation off world is NOT possible provided we use resources generated from this rock to lift them. It MAY be possible with space based manufacturing and an efficient "plasma" type drive, both of which will require MORE investment and industrializaton on this rock before it works to reduce the overall load.

saying once bubbled...

I am, actually, quite heartened every time I hear about global warming, overfishing, strip mining, clear cutting, etc. etc. etc. by the thought that we will, one day soon I think, breed ourselves right into extinction.

Yes, we are destroying the world... our world. But the Earth will live on, strugging off all memories of human existance in time, and the biodiversity that has thrived here for a couple of billion years will continue, just in a slightly different direction.

couldn't have said it better myself. but personally, there's no need to speed up the process.

our technology has definitely surpassed mother nature. humans took over this planet, and will ultimately bring the end of it. however, with temperatures rising, and ozone protection falling: people are not adapted to survive this, skin cancer, heat exhaustion. and usually most efforts that are done are only temporary fixes, such as fighting beach erosion: groins and seawalls only last about 10 years on average. than all those millions spent become useless. if people love their life and civilization so much, than it's time to wake up and prevent the problems before they start.

we have a whole foods supermarket here, I never go there but my sister does, I know they sell stuff like shark cartilage and all that overmarketed bs. I'll be sure to stop by and give them a piece of my mind sometime. I'd love to air the truth of their "environmental-conscience store" on tv sometime :)

FredT once bubbled...

BTW Getting a significant percentage of the poulation off world is NOT possible provided we use resources generated from this rock to lift them.

the best way to reduce population is to enforce birth control. families keep getting bigger, mothers keep getting younger. so many babies are born, and let's face it: alot of them simply shouldn't be born. poverty, malnourished, it's probably better to not exist at all if you have to live with that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom