???Future of Open Circuit Mixed Gas and Rebreather Diving???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually it would be interesting to even know the price points like how much it would need to be before we get new production being built.
New production is being built now at current price points. But diving is really a tiny fraction of the overall market and doesn't drive demand or price, we're just along for the costly ride. MRI machines are taking up significant quantities of helium.

Front mount counterlung Shearwater Optimas sell for about $3k
Hammerhead Optimas bring about $1000-1500
Older Revos with dreams or Predators go between $2500-$3000
ping pong paddle inspos sell for about $1000-1500
2.5-2.7 Megs sell around $2500
I've seen Inspos and revos for that price, but usually they're fixer uppers. If you see a 2.7 for 2500 grand let me know.

New production is being built now at current price points. But diving is really a tiny fraction of the overall market and doesn't drive demand or price, we're just along for the costly ride. MRI machines are taking up significant quantities of helium.
At least it’s good to know that production is built at the current points. Hopefully it’s a commodity bust and boom and they oversupply? 😉

Seems unlikely from what you say.

Here are my costs from last fall:

$8500 new Kiss Spirit
$700 4 pin Fathom HUD (didn’t want the hardwired one from Kiss)
$1800 training
$300 for incidental during training (sorb, swivel, etc)
Travel expenses: gas, hotel, food for three full weekends four hours away in WI (I live in the Chicago area), plus one day up in Madison, WI at dive shop for classroom/pool - I never bothered to add this up.

Units can often be had used, but it depends on what you’re looking for. You may also spend a good bit restoring an older unit. Travel costs could easily run into the thousands depending on where you live and where your training is.

I bought 3 more O2 bottles (have to drive an hour each way for O2 fills) - one came with unit when delivered, but I had enough to do class and get started. I also had a bailout reg and an AL40 for class (that’s what instructor required. Said it kept things simple). My unit has off board dil. I now dive with a pair of LP50s, which I already had.

Front mount counterlung Shearwater Optimas sell for about $3k
Hammerhead Optimas bring about $1000-1500
Older Revos with dreams or Predators go between $2500-$3000
ping pong paddle inspos sell for about $1000-1500
2.5-2.7 Megs sell around $2500

They all need cells, that is a given, so figure $300 for cells.
$2000 for training and you are going.
The two cheaper options aren't great units IMO, but they are divable units that myself and a lot of people before me did a lot of big dives with.
A FMCL Optima and a 2.7 Meg breathe and dive on par with any current unit you can buy. They aren't that desirable as newer units have more little things that make them nicer to assemble and dive, but they work day in day out as deep as you want to go.
That sounds about right. Not the latest and greatest. but getting into a rebreather for cheap, this is the starting point. I'm still going to say you can get basic training for $1k, not full on trimix deco training but basic training. Probably a group setting at that price.

Something modern and nice, with mild travel costs. You will be at $10k pretty quick.

That sounds about right. Not the latest and greatest. but getting into a rebreather for cheap, this is the starting point. I'm still going to say you can get basic training for $1k, not full on trimix deco training but basic training. Probably a group setting at that price.

Something modern and nice, with mild travel costs. You will be at $10k pretty quick.

Mod 1 (air dil, no deco) for $1K seems damn cheap to me. Mine was $1800 and that was in the Midwest (with an instructor who only teaches on weekends as she had a full time job as a maritime archaeologist).

I'm still going to say you can get basic training for $1k, not full on trimix deco training but basic training. Probably a group setting at that price.
Maybe you can get a bare minimum course, but even then I don't see it.
My time is worth more to me.

I've seen Inspos and revos for that price, but usually they're fixer uppers. If you see a 2.7 for 2500 grand let me know.
I sold a nice diving bmcl 2.5 two years ago for $2500.
I think I have another 2.5 head laying in the corner somewhere.

What dive-ready unit goes for 3k used? Even if you buy a 4-5k pre-DiveCan JJ, you still have to buy cells, service, likely some new parts, sorb, etc. and with training plus expenses you'll be pretty close to 10 grand.
The 10 to 15 grand range I mentioned already includes buying used.
I got mine Inspo for 1000 pounds an put another maybe 1500 euro for new head with controller... Then I got my rEvo hCCR for 999 euro :) and put in maybe 50 euro for rewiring the unit (the previous electronics was a real mess :) So, if you are lucky and good in restoring the diving technics, it can be cheap.

Back
Top Bottom