Future Sailor Blue, contracted for Navy diver, leaving in 2 months!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Latrel69

New
Reaction score
Hi everyone, future sailor Blue here. I recently joined the United States Navy about 3 months ago wanting to become a Navy diver right off the back. I knew deep down I wanted to do something spec ops related and the Diving booklet seemed to catch my eye. Upon doing further research, reading articles watching videos etc, I made my decision and wanted to do anything possible to get there. I am currently 2 months away from leaving for BC and earned my diver contract about 1 month ago. The prep training I do now is just basic stuff, gym and pool training 5 days a week along with workouts on base twice a week with former navy seals and a rescue swimmer. My main question is what exactly am I getting myself into here? my father being a former Army ranger (75th), 24 years enlisted retired as a E9 gives me most of the horror stories from when he had to do combat diver training. I am aware, but not fully aware, of how much hell I'm about to be put there for 4 months (2 months at dive prep, 2 months at Dive school). From what I can gather I'm assuming dive prep is all physical and instructors trying to physically break you, and dive school is more of a mental aspect, hints trying to drown you in the pool. Anything I can do to better prep myself for whats to come? And exactly how bad do you get beat down?

I have no idea, but chances are you will fail.

Not familiar with how they do contracts these days, are you getting guaranteed a shot at BUDS in Coronado, or at NDSTC in Panama City?

Don't listen to your father, listen to yourself.
Keep your eye on your objective, and believe you can get there, no matter what.
Confidence in yourself and tenacity in your actions, that's how you prepare and endure.

Then, someday, tell YOUR kid how awful it was, knowing that if he does it anyway, he'll do just fine.

There is a user named Akimbo that you might get in touch with. There are probably others too.

My hat’s off to you for your aspirations.

I have had the distinct honor of knowing a few special ops folks. While I could never do what they do, I think I learned from association with them that it is largely a mind-set. If you go in with the firm determination that you will always do your best and that you will never give up, you should have a good shot.

best wishes,

k

… I knew deep down I wanted to do something spec ops related and the Diving booklet seemed to catch my eye…

A spec ops diver in the US Navy is a SEAL, not a Navy Diver. Navy divers are normally not combatants.

There is a user named Akimbo that you might get in touch with. There are probably others too.

I was a Navy diver, not a SEAL. Navy diver training (now) is in Panama City Florida and BUD/S (Basic Underwater Demolition/SEAL) training is in Coronado, California. My training was VERY different. I never shot a weapon after boot camp, but did get to blow some stuff up. :wink:

… From what I can gather I'm assuming dive prep is all physical and instructors trying to physically break you, and dive school is more of a mental aspect, hints trying to drown you in the pool. Anything I can do to better prep myself for whats to come? And exactly how bad do you get beat down?

I don’t think it is accurate to say that they are trying to physically break or drown you. They are testing you so you can prove to yourself that you can or cannot do the job. The Navy has nothing to gain by making you drop out of any school. Short of a medical problem like breaking bones or pneumonia, BUD/S is really mental — mind over pain, exhaustion, and hypothermia. The objective isn’t doing “X” number of jumping jacks after a nighttime swim with sand in your crotch. It is all about never giving up. They can make you physically stronger over time, but they can’t reprogram your brain to do what’s necessary or die trying. They are called SEAL Teams for a reason. Your failure in the field can kill team members and the mission.

I worked with a lot of SEALs after getting out of the Navy and one thing became abundantly clear. Regardless of what this site says, the main obstacle is the cold.

Top 10 Things to Know Before BUD/S | Military.com

I don’t know if there is anything you can do to develop your cold tolerance, especially in the two months left before boot camp, but you can learn about hypothermia. I have also known several recreational divers who were highly motivated and Triathlon-level fit who rang the bell (voluntarily quit BUD/S training) because they couldn’t handle the cold.

Just to give you an idea, I have a good friend who is a retired SEAL. He swims several miles for a workout… in Monterey Bay without a wetsuit or fins. I would be a floating blue corpse if I tried that… and it would require a gun to my head to make me try.

You also need a backup plan. As an officer, you get sent to the fleet as a Line Officer if you drop out of SEAL training. An enlisted sailor is designated a primary rate out of boot camp, such as Boatswain's Mate or Electrician’s Mate. Dropping out of BUD/S will get you sent to the fleet or to an “A” school to learn the basics of your primary rating before going to the fleet. You have a limited opportunity to request a certain rating in Boot Camp. Getting that rating will depend on your test scores and the needs of the Navy.

List of United States Navy ratings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The reason that is important is it can limit your options if you do have to drop out of BUD/S. Say for instance you would like to volunteer for submarine duty. Choosing a rating required on the boats will give you a far better chance.

A lot has changed since I was a sailor so check everything out yourself. Navy Divers are now a primary rating, as are Special Warfare Operators (SEALs). Where do you live? You are trying to make a critical decision that will affect the rest of your life. I would travel to the nearest SEAL team base, find a favorite SEAL watering hole (bar), buy some drinks and ask questions. Chances are good that someone will take you under their wing for a while and give you far more information than you can ever get off the Internet.

Thank you for choosing to serve your country and I wish you the best finding your way in life.

Last edited:
One day at a time my friend no matter what it is, try not to go around and listen to people telling you about what they have never experienced (I like to call these sh#thouse lawyers). Right now you just need to keep training physically and get your mind right! Like Akimbo said in the previous post thank you for choosing to serve this great country! RLTW Jon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom