G250? Worth servicing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is funny though, I had a set of working Apeks, now I have 9 G250s, 2x 109s, 3x Conshelf, 2x MK10 and a MK5 and not a diveable set among them and cost over 4 times what I got for the Apeks. Did I say foolish?

It's so funny, the irony makes me laugh, really, then I cry.

It did elevate my equipment boredom though and I've learnt a lot too and hopefully provided some amusement to the seasoned members of this board.

I have been following this thread since page 6 or so and I have really enjoyed it. I feel bad about your experience, but it has been educational and more engaging than the average scubaboard thread.

I'm just happy you have renounced Satan and returned to our scuba lord and savior, Apeks.......

I'd just ditch the MK-25, and if staying with SP (all those seconds are excellent), them look at the MK-17 (diaphragm). Keep in mind, the Mk-10's are excellent for most diving (I'd avoid real real cold, but I have used them in 39 degree water in the past), and the MK-5 is a an excellent stage too, with DIY the option for both on service as you likely will get a push back from shops as old as they are (VDH for parts). If they aren't shot to begin with, they can continue on with a very good life.

Yes, returning to your original comfort zone is with some merit too.

If you aren't having fun, do something else.

If you have 2 MK10s, I don't understand why you wouldn't just use those. My cave set is 2 MK10s. I understand the issue with your MK5 because it is one of the early ones with 2 LP ports and the light yoke.

Here's a thought, don't sell your MK10s, I can help you with them. I'll send a PM.

It is funny though, I had a set of working Apeks, now I have 9 G250s, 2x 109s, 3x Conshelf, 2x MK10 and a MK5 and not a diveable set among them and cost over 4 times what I got for the Apeks. Did I say foolish?

You did kind of go overboard on the G250s, but we all have done things like that. If you can become fully self sufficient in servicing your own gear and you mostly stick with what you now own, eventually you're likely to still come out ahead financially. If, for example, you got 2 more MK10s or late MK5s (taking your time, waiting for the best deal) you would have 4 complete sets of MK10/G250 with alternates. These can be easily serviced with a minimal assortment of tools and parts are available at VDH. You'd even have an extra G250 and the others as spares, not to mention the metal conshelfs which are really good regs too.

If it makes you feel any better, I have considerably exceeded your vintage fleet, but did take the precaution of getting them serviced/assembled (sent them off in batches for professional upgrading/servicing) to make sure they really would be operational/sound. I'm keeping my 'modern' reg sets as well, as I like having choices/options, and resale value on used scuba gear is low anyway, but the majority were good used deals where the prior owner had already taken the bulk of the financial depreciation.

As others have noted, what's stopping you from using your MK 10's ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom